Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

2. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

I agree 100%. It is actually depressing for me to think about.

Conscious reasoning is expensive- humans expend much more energy thinking consciously then thinking subconsciously. For those things we can do subconsciously, we are also more efficient- this is why a wide receiver practices catching a football: to make it become a subconscious process. Same with learning keyboard shortcuts for a program or video game, etc.

Changing anything in relation to the computer is mentally expensive. It requires conscious thought to consider a new paradigm (linux, mac os x, etc), and it takes time and effort to master it (to make it subconscious). For those not passionate about computers or ideologically driven to expend mental energy in the pursuit of principles, they will do whatever the status quo is until crisis presents itself as a result.

The majority of people drove automatics back in the days when automatics were slower, less power efficient, more fuel-thirsty, and less reliable than manual transmissions. They did so because automatics required less mental energy. Same reason they dont ask questions when Microsoft spies on them- its easier to just accept it than switching to a different operating system (if they even know what an operating system is) and expending effort to learn a new way. When the data collection presents a crisis, THEN people will pay attention.

The biggest tragedy of the whole situation is that we NEED a people dedicated to certain principles or moral structures as a counterbalance against all these mega-powerful corporations, at least in certain areas (chief among them anything computer related).

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

4. itman

itman Registered Member

Does anyone know why this reg key named folder appears in %AppData%\Local\Temp directory after every Win 10 cold boot? Different reg key folder name each time and ms-api-xxxxxxxxx named files number vary. I assume it is being downloaded from MS.

Win10_Appdata_Regkey_Folder.png

5. NormanF

Microsoft has a lot of different products that require activation.

Sounds like this is what is kept track of in Windows 10.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Well, the metered connection setting for wireless connection does indeed work in blocking Win 10 auto updating:

Win10_Updates_Disabled.png

7. itman

itman Registered Member

8. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I have noticed quite a bit of DISM-related activity throughout much of my Windows 10 testing. Not every cold boot in my case, but at least daily or every other day. I'm wondering if whatever DISM-related maintenance on your system may potentially be failing to complete, hence retrying again each time you boot the system. You'd have to check the DISM logs (C:\Windows\Logs\DISM) for more detail.

9. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Hello, have you tried out many of the Win 10 tweak tools out there? I take it O&O is your favorite?

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  11. itman

itman Registered Member

Went through the log and didn't see anything that stuck out as significant or had the wording "error" or the like. There were a few entries like "not a PE file" or it couldn't find something.

Anyway, I didn't get a download at today's first cold boot. So I guess that is encouraging.

12. itman

itman Registered Member

I just noticed a "glitch" in its detection. I manually set driver updating via Win Update to disabled in Win 10. However, O&O ShutUp 10 does show that status. Leads me to believe it will only detect statuses that were set by it?

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

It might be good to have more than one windows 10 tweak tool to cover more areas of privacy leaks.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Interesting; I haven't experimented with that, but I have noticed that sometimes after build updates O&O will notify that settings - usually telemetry - have changed and ask if I want to restore the previous settings.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

According to the review I linked above some of them don't explain how changing specific settings will impact the OS; one reason I use O&O is because it does. I would also be on the lookout for undesirable interactions between multiple tweakers.

16. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thank you Victek

17. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

18. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Anyone experiencing taskbar icons sometimes flickering when deleting files and when hiding/showing desktop icons?

19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've seen this on both of my machines but it happened with Win7 on occasion too so I haven't been worried. Desktop shortcuts flicker too.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

How To: Prepare for Redstone 2 Builds as a Windows Insider

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm sorry but this sounds ridiculous to me. M$ should always give an option to disable auto-update. BTW, I know that you're strangely enough a big fan of IE, but have you already upgraded to Edge? Flash is now running sandboxed to make it harder for exploits to succeed.

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/08/04/introducing-edgehtml-14/

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/08/09/rc4-now-deprecated

24. itman

itman Registered Member

I harness Flash in IE11 by always having ActiveX Filtering enabled. One thing better than sandboxing Flash is never running it at all;)

25. NormanF

Flash can freeze and lock up a computer.

Only reason to keep running it is many websites are still dependent on it.

HTML 5 is much better for video playback.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.