Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...ased-29-jul-2015.368734/page-111#post-2604851

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

How long until Microsoft removes the policy?

Just like they did when they crippled gpedit for power users.

3. anon

anon Registered Member

We're talking for the present.
    In the future, many things may change. Not only the Contana settings.

4. NormanF

I agree.

If Microsoft treats its customers as partners, great things can happen.

If it treats them as a cash cow, Windows won't have much of a future.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I believe it will. Macs are not an alternative for many people as they are too expensive. The cheapest Mac costs at least four times as much as the cheapest PC. As a result, people on the whole will stay with PCs. Even if they may have been lead to believe that Macs are better (I personally strongly disagree with this), it's hard to justify spending $1,000+ on a Mac when you can get a budget laptop for a few hundred dollars. Many PC users could do everything they need using Linux instead of Windows. However, I don't expect any mass exouds from Windows to Linux, because nearly all PCs come with Windows preinstalled, and the average user is probably not even aware that Linux is a viable alternative.

So, in my opinion at least, Windows does have a strong future.

6. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

With the on-going Economic Crisis, Macs look too expensive...:isay:

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

It turns out that windows 10 media creation tool isnt very smart. i choose the option to upgrade windows 10 but instead of upgrading me to the anniversary update or telling me my build is current it reinstalled the same build over the top.
    I have also found out that just like when I installed the October quarterly build last year shadow protect activation gets knocked out and i have needed to email them. I hope they can do something about this otherwise an email to shadow protect will need needed 4 times a year to get backups working.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

It depends. Macs cannot compete with avarage performance PCs, that's for sure. However if you compare high performance (PRO) PC and Mac laptops with for instance i7 processor or higher, 8-12MB RAM, dual graphics etc. you won't get so big price difference.

9. NormanF

Macs are more expensive because Apple is a hardware manufacturer as well as software provider.

Everything is built to work together. My PPC Mac is still running strong years after Apple stopped supporting it.

That's typically not the case with PCs, that are often refurbished and loaded with fresh Windows, giving them a new lease on life.

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Where did you get this peace of information? Hmmm

11. NormanF

I have a ten year old refurbished business desktop PC loaded with Windows 7 Pro. Runs just like new.

12. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

Windows 10 anniversary edition ISO countdown timer: HERE

2 hrs to go as i type this.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

When a PC breaks the PC is taken to a Computer repair shop to get diagnosed and repaired or the owner can repair the computer himself. The same old computer is not sent in to the manufacturer to get refurbished, for example if the HD develops a problem it is replaced not referbished

14. NormanF

Yup. A Microsoft-certified refurbisher does the work. Any warranty is with the refurbisher, not the OEM company since its essentially a new PC built by someone else. For legal reasons, it can't be called new or sold as new.

15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm not sure what to think about this? Wasn't it already a requirement that drivers should be signed? But I guess now you have to be signed by M$ itself. Security wise it's not a bad decision.

I know what you mean, I'm not liking what I'm reading about Win 10, it looks like a disaster for people that like at least some control and value their privacy.

Thanks, this might come in handy.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. NormanF

I understand the need for security but forcing automatic updates is wrong for a lot of reasons. Some people may be fine with their computer if its not up to date. A one size fits all approach to security simply doesn't work, even if the intent behind it is good.

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What the hell, are they forcing Windows updates? Then for sure I will not be using Win 10, anytime soon. I will now start to investigate how I can install Win 8 on new machines.

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Currently it's not difficult to modify many of Windows 10's default settings with third party software such as O&O Shutup 10; automatic updates can be turned off so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I am not happy with forced updates. three times now has an update been forced on me when i wanted to turn off my pc and get some sleep.
    I am away for a few days and will obtain the anniversary update when i get back.

21. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Is the Win 10 Anniversy update a forced update?
    Thanks for the info and link Victek :)

Any reason to think it might not work well or conflict with anything critical in The Anniversary Update? Have you had any prophetic visions of O&O Shutup 10 on The Anniversary Update/"Upgrade" :)

22. anon

anon Registered Member

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, the Anniversary update ( Version 1607 build 14393.10 ) is an automatic update and it was officially released just today. It's possible that the current version of O&O Shutup 10 works fine but I would keep an eye out to see if it's updated soon. If you search on "O&O Software" you will easily find the vendor's site. :thumb:

24. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I've installed Windows 10 Anniversary update without a hitch via Media Creation Tool. Noticed the utility wasn't updated until mid-day, and this update wasn't showing up via WU. I'm impatient at times. :p

25. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I can not install the Anniversary Update.

I keep getting error 0x80070057.

I ran The Windows Update Troubleshooter. It started one Windows Service and said the issue was fixed.

But I still get the same error.

I went directly to the Microsoft download site rather than the Windows Updater.

My PC was checked for compatibilty and the download was verified, but the installation stops after 2% and gives me that error code.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.