Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

3.5 hours now (I only have 10Mbps download), but the last 45 minutes it's as if the restart is not kicking in - what worries me is no apparent disk activity.

I waited about two hours yesterday before doing the hard reset, maybe it wasn't long enough :(

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yeah, that does sound too long. Each of my machines updated in about an hour from starting the Media Creation Tool give or take until I booted back to the new version.

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am not in hurry for this update to show up for my new Surface Book laptop. I will wait!

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Can you give a link? Not sure I understand this. What is considered to be an AV? Malwarebytes Premium? Webroot? Zemana Anti-Malware Premium, Antiexploit programs, and any other anti-malware program that have been said to be compatible with most security programs?

I can not disable Win Defender except for Periodic Scanning. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

As an experiment I am currently running EMIS 11, HMPA, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Zemana (Watchdog) Anti-Malware Premium (real time), and Ad Guard, and while I understand that anyone of them may be defeating the effectiveness of another, they are all up and running.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You can disable Windows Defender in Windows 7 and run your own AV.

In Windows 10, you're basically screwed. Microsoft allows you to run only theirs.

6. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

really.....Windows10 turned Off Windows Defender upon finding, not theirs. As per Windows design.

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks for the info. NormanF :)

That's rude. Is Win Defender specifically designed to be compatible with at least one other AV? Or have the security companies been forced to redsign their basic architecture so as to be compatible with Win 10 and/or Win 1067?

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have ESET Endpoint Security and Defender is completely disabled. ESET did it on its own.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I must have a special edition of Win 10 as Windows Defender is off and remains off having Avira real time...

Attached Files:

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

11. itman

itman Registered Member

Start reading at this posting: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...has-been-released.381438/page-10#post-2606961

12. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Opened the calculator this morning to use it, and it's freaking huge even on restore down. It's using 3/4 of my screen on restore down. Why would they do this?

13. bidd

bidd Guest

It's easy to drag the edges in to the size you'd like:)

14. snippits

snippits Registered Member

You are right. Forgot all about that. It reset when it updated. Thanks

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks itman, but I still don't get it.

Fabian's post says:

"(quote Fabian is replying to) Running Windows 10 AU. Is it OK to run Windows Defender along with EIS?

(Fabian's reply) It is actually impossible to run more than 1 active AV on Windows 10 AU if the application adhere to the Microsoft guidelines, which is what we do. Any attempt to enable Windows Defender will automatically turn EAM off and vice versa."

But you can't enable Windows Defender because it is persistent, i.e., it's on from the start and it can't be tuned off.

If this statement were accurate the entire third party security industry would be up in arms and out of business.

Think this needs clarification. EMIS Forums seems the appropriate place to get this clarified.

As written, Fabian's statement appears dubious. I am currently running EMIS 11 and it is active, as is Zemana (Watchdog) Antimalware (real time).

Forcing peeps to rely soley on Windows Defender seems implausible and dangerous:

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/MRG-Effitas-360-Assessment-Q1-2016.pdf

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks stapp :)

Looks like that one puts the issue to rest.

18. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Did the upgrade on my Windows 10 Pro & it installed ok, it did remove Vmware Workstation saying it wasn't compatabile despite it being the latest version & Private Firewall which it gave no reason for it's removal. It also sneakily reset a lot of the privacy, tips, ad tiles in start menu settings etc back to on. Ended up restoring back to the previous build with macrium as I really really hate that silly lock screen that you now can't disable. I'll wait till someone finds a hack that allows you to disable the bloody thing.

19. itman

itman Registered Member

I believe what Fabian is saying is once AV vendors start implementing the compliance policy, then the multiple AV disabling will start in Win 10 AU. Suspect ZAM hasn't implemented the policy yet? Emsisoft has.

20. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, if WD's services are disabled, it should be quiet, not to mention automatic maintenance. I use this: pastebin.com/kYCVzZPz

21. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

what issue...

22. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

In Windows 7, you can just disable the Windows Defender service and run your own AV in its place.

With Windows 10, Microsoft has made WD the default AV solution. Naturally, third party AV makers aren't happy.

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Pure misinformation and boring.

24. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

25. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Fabian clarifies

"Microsoft does not want users to run more than one anti-virus applications. That is why they asked their AV partners to implement a certain switch that all AVs that want to be listed as compatible to Windows 10 AU need to adhere to. If you enable Windows Defender, EAM turns off. If you enable EAM, Windows Defender turns off. If you run Kaspersky and EAM for example, once Kaspersky updated to be fully Windows 10 AU compliant, Kaspersky will turn off the moment you turn on EAM and vice versa. That's all."

"http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/25038-fabian-win-au-and-emis-clarification-needed/

"Doh - I thought a grayed-out Windows Defender Setting showing as "On" meant that it was locked On. "

says: Homer hawki Simpson <--------<<< Diagnosed as Suffering from Post Norton Security GUI Stress Disorder
    8/4/16

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.