Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3194496

"If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer. If you are installing a Windows 10 update package for the first time, the package for the x86 version is 402 megabytes (MB) and the package for the x64 version is 753 MB."

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well I have always seen it to download the whole thing, even with all previous updates installed.
    If I do not forget, I will use a bandwidth manager next time to see, how much it actually downloads.

3. itman

itman Registered Member

I used a metered connection to prevent auto downloading of updates. When I check for updates manually, the GUI tells me the download size.

4. boredog

boredog Registered Member

was wondering if anybody else is seeing this?

Attached Files:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes. I saw it once. On second try, it installed.

6. boredog

Thanks ronjor

I think I will try disabling all my security programs on startup and see if that works. the only thing I did was add more memory. I went from 4 gig to 16 gig, the max my ancient dell allows.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is a huge update. 750mb. I just minimized the update window and continued what I was doing.
    It is slow though. I would just let it sit there and update.

8. boredog

that did not work for me.

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It just goes to show how much things have changed over the years... in the past with Win 7 or earlier, one almost never heard of such problems. Win updates just worked. Now, with Win 10, problems is practically all we hear on various sites. Updates should *always* work, no exceptions. This stuff that's been going on since they laid off their internal testing people is really quite unbelievable.

Having said all that, I personally haven't had any problems with Win 10 updates at all. But I can't quite believe how many users are having issues nowadays. Something surely isn't right.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When I checked my two Win 10 machines this morning, Windows update had a notification saying "Retry". Presumably the first attempt failed for some reasons (I was not even aware it tried to update). But then it was successful with both machines and didn't take that long (I do have a fast internet connection).

13. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Updated on three machines running AU, but it did take two tries on one.

14. boredog

the first two were auto updates, the third one was where I went to ms site and did it from there. all times it shows it going all way through to restart, after restarting it goes all the way to 99% then fails every time. I will try the link supplied above. I have shut off all my security software except for appguard. I don't see an option in startup options in windows and don't see one in the appguard program either.

15. xxJackxx

We've actually been having worse problems with Windows 7 and bad updates for at least a year. If not, I would be rolling back to it right now.

In any case, this stupid thing (KB3194496) is prompting me to reboot to try to apply this failed update again. They need to pull it before they make some people really upset. Whoops, too late. :mad:

16. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I have AppGuard and mine auto-updated (Allow installs in AppGuard GUI, don't forget to untick 'Automatically resume previous level after 20 minutes' because update will take longer than this).

Edit: Ignore the above, I must have smoked something. I do not have AppGuard on the machines that auto-updated.

17. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I get a privacy error when attempting to connect to that url?! It crosses out the https and then states that the connection is not private?!

Edit: It might be because I was trying to access it via Chrome??

18. itman

itman Registered Member

The web site is "flakey."

For example in IE 11 x64, it won't work with advanced APM enabled i.e. IE running in an AppContainer instance. How I get around the issue is to add that URL to IE11's trusted web site list. IE11 will run all trusted web sites outside of AppContainer. Also turn off any privacy blockers you may have enabled in the browser when accessing the web site.

19. itman

itman Registered Member

Strange. I had no problems with KB3194496 installation.

First, I do all Win 10 updates via manually downloading; I have the metered connection option enabled. Next, I don't select the restart option given in the Win Updates section but always do a manual restart.

20. boredog

ok this is the 5th time it failed. I even tried itman's link this time. as far as appguard , I set the suspension time out for 500 min. and set appguard to off not allow installs. did those of you that did not have any problems upgrade from windows 8.1 originally?

21. boredog

here is a reply a person gave on why so many are having issues with this update.

"At first, i have to say my english is not soo good. So i hope everyone could understand what i mean.

I think that the problem occurs, because Microsoft released two cumulative Updates with the same Build number .187. The people who had installed the first cumulative update (kb3189866) in September to Build .187, they all have problems to install the new Update kb3194496."

Some of you did a system restore to an earlier Build like .105 or 14393.0. Thats the fastest solution i think, to install the newest cumulative Update. There is a bug in the kb3189866, thats why we can't install kb3194496.

but I am going to follow the thread and see how it plays out before I try again.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.../7b63eb85-3320-4a4b-bc71-bb4de869b13f?page=17

a ms advisor posted a tool if you care to try out. I basically deletes your updates and re-downloads them and sounds like a huge download to me.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/7b63eb85-3320-4a4b-bc71-bb4de869b13f?page=1

22. xxJackxx

That's probably not the reason in all cases. I have a desktop that refuses to update at all, and a laptop that updated the first time. They both have a very similar list of software installed, and have both received all of the same updates at the same time. I am betting it is some kind of hardware or device driver issue. I could be mistaken, but in the case of my 2 machines it is the only difference I can identify.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Keep in mind though, that Win 7 was just about as perfect as an OS can get for it's first 5 years, from Nov 2009 to just a year ago or so. Everyone loved 7, it had virtually zero problems or issues, it was all an OS should be for many years. 10 is just about the opposite of that. It's been with us for 14 months, and I've seen and heard nothing but problems and bug reports from almost everywhere. IMHO, when they laid off their internal testing team a few years ago in that 3,000 person lay off, they made a huge mistake. The public can't possibly test 10 anywhere near as well as an internal team of people who've spent decades doing this. That, plus the way they're doing cumulative updates won't work for many with bandwidth limits, and this twice a year upgrade nonsense will never work out either. They're doing it all wrong.

In spite of all that, I do like Win 10, and my experience with it and the updates has been pretty good. Some bugs of course, but nothing horrendous. Even so, it's obvious that they have some big problems nowadays, and I do think things were much cleaner and better 5 or 6 years ago.

Just my opinion here... I'm sure some may disagree.. :)

24. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3125...e-reactivates-ads-youve-already-disabled.html

Related:

Installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update may reset your ad preferences, other settings
    http://www.extremetech.com/computin...-may-reset-your-ad-preferences-other-settings

25. xxJackxx

I don't disagree with any of that. Unfortunately in the time that Windows 10 has been out, they have ruined Windows 7. We have test machines at work that have received bad Windows Updates, other that sit and choke for days while searching for Windows Updates... there is no good Windows option left. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.