Windows 10, alt OS lockout? Doomsday?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, May 15, 2015.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What we have here is a pretty long article discussing the recent announcement by Microsoft that the ability to enable/disable Secure Boot will be optional on Windows 10 desktop platforms, focusing on the reported story and community reaction to a possible Linux lockout, technological considerations behind UEFI and Secure Boot, Linux compatibility examples and moral debate, past experience, future outcome, and more. If you're bored and need a bit of drama in your life, look no further, or farther, depends how you look [sic] at it. Have fun.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-alt-os-lockout.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Microsoft is so predictable in just the same way that the Catholic church and majority of governments are predictable.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

'Again, before we discuss Microsoft's world domination plans' ~ op cit

I think those plans are on hold at the moment ... lol

4. MisterB

They've always been on hold but they don't give up easily. Every few years we get a new version of the same old story.

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Good article.
    And you're right about revolution; it's not online, it's always on the streets.

6. MisterB

It is a good article. I'd been reading earlier of the plans to enforce automatic updating in some editions of Windows 10 and for all who accept the free update from Windows 7 and 8. It looks like I'll be keeping 7 for a while. I never seem to use a version of Windows until it's been out for a couple of years anyway. I might give Windows 8.1 a go some time soon now that the extended beta testing is over.

Microsoft is also like church and government in that, as much as you might feel offended and annoyed by them, they are not going to vanish from the face of the earth anytime soon.

7. Daveski17

Yeah, at least they are nicely predictable.

8. Daveski17

I think that is a wise policy.

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

There is a time limit in the free update of 1 year, there is always a period of finding where the first hole is after the new Windows OS is launched, You didn't think that Windows 10 was going to be perfect right from the start this is Microsoft and what about the threat of possible subscription fee if we update after the 1 year time limit.

10. Daveski17

I'm not going to update at all; problem solved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.