Window size problem in XP SP1 with new 2.5.3

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by rspooner, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rspooner

rspooner Registered Member

I can only see a portion of the expected display. I cannot resize the display window.

I did an initial install of 2.5.3 on an XP SP1 system running with a dual-monitor Matrox G450. The first time through, everything worked as expected. On closing the program, and subsequently restarting it, I got the compatibility warning box, dismissed it, then SpywareBlaster occupied the same window area without a change to resize the window. There's no drag handle, no maximize button, and no menu item under system icon in the top left for resizing. How can I resize Spyware's window so I can see its full display? I have tried opening and closing the application, and specifying not to see the compatibility dialog again.

FYI, I have msinet.ocx 115,920 bytes v6.0.88.62 dtd 21 May 00, and msvbvm60.dll 1,388,544 bytes v6.0.92.37 dtd 18 Aug 01

Attached Files:

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Now that is a unique problem. ;)

It certainly sounds like the dual monitor drivers may be an issue here.

Could you try letting it display the compatibility warning window, and then take a screenshot of that warning when it is displayed? TIA.

EDIT: After you grab a screenshot of the exact compatibility warning you are getting (I'm very interested in that one) you might try uninstalling and reinstalling SpywareBlaster to see if it resets whatever may have been set incorrectly (not on SpywareBlaster's side - it certainly doesn't have the capability to do that - but on Windows XP's/your display drivers side perhaps?).

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. rspooner

rspooner Registered Member

Thanks for your quick response.

I can't post a shot of the compatibility warning box, as I don't know how to turn it back on. There were two warnings, one for PestPatrol and the other for Ad-Aware (call me Paranoid).

I have not uninstalled or re-installed the software, but decided to explore a little based on your intuition... which appears to be pretty good, BTW. :D

The issue does not appear to be linked with dual-monitor mode being enabled or disabled. It does appear to be linked with another feature of the Matrox Powerdesk that comes with the video card. There's a feature called "Save/Restore window positions when programs are opened/closed" which I have enabled as standard. If I disable that option, the problem does not show itself. I don't know how Powerdesk tracks this information, nor where it stores it (probably the long-sufering Registry). Now the irritating curse is that I can't get Powerdesk to change its remembered settings for the SpywareBlaster window! Looks like a trot over to the Matrox support forums is needed... or a couple of uninstall/re-install cycles....

Just as a polite observation and not a disparaging comment on your programming skills. This is the first time I've seen this type of problem on my system (which has been running Powerdesk for about three years through 98SE, 2000P, and XP Prof). I have seen some font sizing problems, especially with button labels when dual-monitor mode is selected. Do you do anything special with that first dialog box that might get inherited by the main screen which is oout of the ordinary?

If you would like any other info, or for me to try anything else, please email me at rspooner<underscore>usa<at>yahoo<dot>com or leave a reply in this thread.

Thanks again for the quick response :)

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Ah - this sounds like the compatibility warning that the new Spybot S & D shows...not SpywareBlaster.

I'll check around myself - if you do find any more information please do let me know!

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.