Window refuses to resize

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi all, Two years ago I set up my new Dell WIN7 64x computer, and thought It would be better if I bought a HDMI cable rather than use the AVG cable that came with the monitor. All was OK, except that I couldn't set my monitor to the default 1920x1080 resolution and had to settle for 1024x786 to make the screen stretch to the monitor edges. This was OK except now, circles on the screen were always elipses. A short time ago I learned that the HDMI cable did this and I should get a DVI cable instead, Which I can't, or use the AVG cable. I switched to the AVG cable and sure enough the resolution automatically accepted the default 1920x1080 resolution.
    The problem I'm having now is that on occasion, when I access my browser or Outlook, and a few windows, the page will open at about a third the size of the screen and I can'y drag it to full screen, and clicking the Maximize button does nothing. The only way I can fix it is to re-start the computer, and then all is well. I'm not even certain that the above story has anything to do with the problem but it is only happening since I changed the resolution and the cable.
    Can anyone tell me how to correct it? I have the feeling it's a simple fix but my experience is lacking. Thanks in advance. :)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you tap the F11 key, does it fill the screen?

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Ronjor, Thanks for the response. I haven't tried that, but the next time it occurs I will and get back to you. It might be a few days or so.:)

4. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

twl845, have you by chance checked your monitor settings directly on your monitor? If not, see if the monitor is set to auto detect which input you use. You can also check to see what mode it's using, and if it's set set to fill screen.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for responding. Yes the monitor is set as you suggested. :)

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I had another occurance on opening my browser, and clicked F11. The page went to full screen large enough so the box to click X and shut it down was covered. I was able to drag it down and shut the browser down, and when I accessed the browser again it was the right size and haven't had the problem anywhere since. We'll see in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.