Win98 compatibility, build 3677

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by raybro, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raybro

raybro Registered Member

Has anyone verified whether the Win9x incompatibilty factor identified in builds 3633 and later has been corrected in build 3677. My base version of TI9 on the CD is 2323. Is there a recommendation regarding which build to upgrade to at this point in time for use with Win98SE.

Another question I have regards whether to uninstall build 2323 before installing the upgrade. According to the FAQ on the Acronis site, one can install over the previous version. However, I have noted posts from Acronis reps on this forum that recommend uninstalling the existing version before installing the upgrade. Can someone clarify that point?

Apologies if this question has been addressed, but I was unable to find a clear answer using the forum search tool.

Raybro

2. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

So far I have only been able to image to my second hard drive using build 5677
    I copied the "tib" files to DVD using Nero and when I try to activate my DVD image I get an endless loop telling me to put in the last volume and when I press "retry" it tells me to put in the first volume ( this goes on and on). According to Menacaman ( see this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136780)
    He says to just cancel to get out of the loop, I will be trying that later.
    My suggestion to you would be, if build 2323 is working for you for Win 98, to hang on until a new build works. Yes I have found that to install any of the last few builds I had to uninstall TI. Good Luck !!!

3. RichardS

RichardS Registered Member

I have found that build 3677 works fine with W98SE when archiving to an internal or external hard disk. I don't archive to CD/DVD so can't comment.

I always uninstall the previous version of TI and manually clean out the registry of all TI entries although I don't think the latter stage is strictly necessary - it's just something I do after an uninstall of any program or hardware because the uninstall facility in W98 is absolute rubbish. XP is an improvement and perhaps MS will finally get it right with Vista (but don't hold your breath!)

Richard

4. layman

layman Registered Member

3677 will run on my 98SE -- but only sorta. I can image successfully to an internal drive, but I can restore only by booting from a rescue disk. If I try to launch a restore from Windows, TI fails during reboot. There is also a problem with mount that has existed through a number of releases now. The context menu mount does not work, but you can mount from within TI. It's clear that they no longer do even cursory testing on this old OS -- just as it's clear they shove install/updates out the door untested.

5. raybro

raybro Registered Member

I finally took the plunge and installed build 3677 after removing build 2323. It recognized and verified all the images I had created with 2323 and other features seem to work OK. When I tried using my 2323 bootable CD, it was not recognized and the system booted into windows. No big surprise, so OK, I thought, I'll just create a new bootabe CD with 3677... IN MY DREAMS... Tried just about everything I could think of and always got the same result. An error window covered by the little window with the clock that says "In Process". It hangs there and does zero. Even tried uninstalling and reinstalling ATI 3677. Still no go.

I'm just fed up with going through all this and I think I'll just stay with build 2323, which I have reinstalled. Some have said that 2323 is buggy, but I have yet to have a problem with it. The only operation I have not actually done is a full recovery process. I'll be doing that as soon as I get another HDD to try it out on.

I've given up completey on burning images to DVD. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with just the belt and no suspenders until and if Acronis gets their act together. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Raybro

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can always split your backups and then burn them to DVDs later using your burner software. At least that will work reliably.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello raybro,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First let me mention that the builds 3xxx of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home are based on the new "engine". The "old" and the "new" builds are backwards compatible, i.e. images created using "old" (2337 and earlier) should verify/restore fine using new builds (3567 and higher) while images created using the new builds might not verify/restore using the old builds. This also applies to Acronis True Image Bootable CD, namely, you can use Bootable CD created with the "new" builds to restore the image archives created with the "old" builds but not backward.

Could you please clarify the error message you have received? Please also find some workarounds that might help you to create Acronis True Image Bootable CD here. Please also try to create an ISO image of a bootable disk as it described in the Chapter "Creating bootable media" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide and then burn it to CD/DVD.

Could you please describe the issue in more details? Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took to back up to DVD disc. Did you receive any error messages?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello layman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue. Could you please clarify if you received any error message? If so please create a screen shot of the error, if possible. Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file. Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.