Win7 versus Ubuntu 10.10 gaming performance

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

These guys are back with their unimportant test, eh? How am I or any other gamer supposed to get anything out of a test using mostly Linux games? Toss in a few Windows and Linux supported popular and closed source games, then the test may mean something....if you can find enough games for such a review of course.

3. katio

katio Guest

At least their automated kernel regression tests are useful I guess and I got to admire phoronix for going on despite all the haters (just see their forums). But I really got to say most benchmarks are bloody useless and often seriously flawed too. These Windows vs Linux benchmarks are a prime example.

Someone should do real world desktop benchmarks. I haven't seen any for some years, like copying, deleting, unzip, opening large docs in Office, open default web browser, email client, video playback (tearing, CPU, power consumption...), file manager performance (large directory+thumbnails), mass tagging music files and such things that actually matter to users.
    The best thing we got are comparison of boot times, shutdown and installation. That's boring and doesn't tell us anything about general performance of an OS. Almost as bad as those PostgreSQL, Apache and a load of synthetic server benchmarks on desktop distros...
    Given their readership, they might have to rethink their methods and priorities.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Meh, real benchmarks are tedious and difficult to do well. It's more or less the same with browsers, where people just click once to run a browser through an automated test harness and have no idea what's going on other than that big numbers pop up at the end.

That aside... benchmarking Ubuntu's gaming performance? The idiosyncrasy of that aside, a more useful way to perform it might be to compare the FPS of games running under Wine in Ubuntu vs natively in Windows, games that people are actually playing like WoW, LoL/DotA, SC2, etc.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

For the MOST part, doing that would just cement the inescapable fact that Linux has never been, isn't now, and never will be a gamers OS.

6. katio

katio Guest

Well, all that's needed is a lot of time, a detailed intro/disclaimer on how the benchmarks were conducted and a stopwatch. That and hopefully not too many sensational reposts that misinterpret the stats to heart's content.

I might do that when I get access to a Mac so I can get all 3 at a stroke.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And you need a proper design of experiment and the analysis of all them variances and what not. Benchmarking stuff is extremely difficult, which is why most benchmarks done by normal people simply suck. And even by companies and whatnot.
    Mrk

8. katio

katio Guest

Say I would try to benchmark some aspects of real world performance as indicated above. I'd use the same hardware (a Mac) and install the latest Windows, Ubuntu and OS X and same arch on the same HDD (and partition). Then run those common tasks taking detailed notes on how, when and how often.
    Dump all the results on the web and let everyone figure out their conclusion based on the data and metadata I provide.
    How is that difficult or flawed?

This is no rhetoric question. If I actually go that way I want to make sure it's not just as useless as the rest of the benchmarks I criticise myself.

9. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

:rolleyes: I agree Linux probably isn't a gamers os right now, but to say it'll never be....

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Rolling eyes or not, I'd say there is more than enough proof that it never will be. First you have the many years that both software and hardware vendors have had contracts with Microsoft. Look at the years where trying to get an ATI card to run, let alone run optimally on Linux, was all but hopeless. For the longest time, it was go NVidia or go home. That may sound irrelevant, but it isn't. Where there is little hardware support, there won't be games. Where there are barely any mainstream users, there won't be popular games. I don't need to argue those points, I simply need to direct you to your nearest store that sells PC games.

When Linux has more mainstream users, games will slowly come along. But, as it stands, there is a long way to go before the first requirement is met.

11. subset

subset Registered Member

So what? Consolefication is killing PC gaming anyway. :p

Cheers

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It is? Since when? Granted, I would consider that perfectly fine. I grew up with arcades, Atari and Nintendo, and I enjoy them more.

13. linuxforall

How can non Linux games be tested on Linux? To expect Windows games under layer of WINE to perform even close to their native environment is a joke in itself. What this test tends to show is the performance of the graphic stack and in that term, Linux has come a long way. This test demonstrates how well the Linux machine performed, few years back that would not have been achievable but thanks to good work o the X team as well as nvidia for coming out with good drivers for Linux. As for ATI, its to their bane and lets hope they realize this and rectify their driver situation under Linux before its too late.

As for gaming goes, PCs be it Windows or Linux suck and even with latest graphics, gimme PS3 for gaming anyday, anytime.

Everytime there is a comparison for perspective, Windows fanboys start rattling their sabres as usual.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Linuxforall, before you start lighting my pyre, I didn't come in here to "defend" anything. I don't give a crap about Linux, Mac, Windows, whatever. I use what works best for me. I do often criticize the various platforms, as I criticize other aspects of computing. I don't do it as a "fanboy", I do it because I see the various limitations and problems in them. Everyone else here gives their opinion, even when most know it's utter BS and fanboy nonsense, so I won't be different.

If there is any fault here, it's the broad title of the article/post. When, as I'm sure many others, I see "Win 7 Vs Linux gaming", the first thing that pops in my head is somebody is yet again trying the "Linux is better or just as good" game. Those irk the hell out of me, even when it's a case of trying to prove Windows is better. They are two completely different platforms with different ideals in mind and different ways of doing things. I made my comments because it is true that Linux is not a gaming platform, and likely won't be.

On a lighter note, PS3 can't hold a candle to the NES :D :p

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

My new custom built PC,that I get in 2011 with be windows 7-32bit.

With that said,it'll be my gaming machine as well. I've never used Ubuntu long enough at any one time anytime I tried it,but windows has always treated me fine,so if it's not broken,no need to fix it IMO.

16. linuxforall

NES sucks period.

dw246,

No need to defend your loyalty toward windows, the fact that every chance you get to attack Linux openly and that too in the Linux section speaks for itself. You have done this on each and every post that dared to mention your hallowed Windows against lowly Linux, you can't deny that, one just needs to go through the Linux section to see that. You would harp the same old M$ hackneyed line of mainstream, market share over and over again ad nauseum as you do in this thread as well. Right away you attack the tests by proclaiming against its validity. Do you realize few years back, not even this test would have been possible with Linux and even if they were to be conducted, it would have been a massacre, how quickly the hard work of Linux devs have now closed the gap. No one is threatening Windows in its gaming avenue, there is hardly any major games for Linux but that isn't Linux's fault is it, games and MS have had a long nexus. When was the last time you heard quality games for Mac? Does that make Mac inferior in any way to Windows and last time I checked, Mac isn't a mainstream OS either, however that don't deter its use or popularity among its user. Stop with the numbers line, its so predictable really and tiring.

17. linuxforall

More power to you, no one is telling Windows users to ditch their favorite OS for Linux just as there are Linux users who will never ever use Windows, of course, significant number of Linux users are ex-windows users ;)

I have installed Linux desktop on many PCs which had Windows and their users ain't ever going back to Windows, even then I don't see the world's largest OS maker sweating or lamenting their loss.

18. guest

guest Guest

Oh, it's nice to see Linux improving.

I would love to see a free open source OS getting somewhat popular, just like free open source Firefox and Chromium browsers got.

For sure, that would boost dramatical good changes to Windows, like Firefox and Chromium are boosting dramatical good changes to IE.

Anyways, Chromium OS, which wasn't even released yet, may be having just that beneficial effect on the Win8 plans: Ballmer already stated that Win8 will be the riskiest Microsoft project ever.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Linux IS improving, less market share or not, and it IS good. There are some out there who would just pick Windows no matter how good Linux got. It's just choice. However, if popular gaming DID come to Linux, it would give them a pretty good step towards becoming relevant. Whether some like it or not, it IS about numbers when it comes to the market and what vendors, both software and hardware, support. You can blame MS for it, that's fine, but the fact is still there.

Some just refuse to get it whether by being naive or just not caring.

20. linuxforall

its an idiot who will argue against the might of Windows, its just futile in every sense but I see no reason for Windows users and MS to be so defensive, of course in terms of enterprise and numbers, Linux has Windows licked royally but then that same scenario ain't happening for either for Mac or Linux however superior they maybe, Windows dominates desktop world and there are many reasons why, least of it being superior to Mac or Linux. Dunno why MS bothers so much against Linux and opens source but then desktop users represents peanuts in terms of $$$$ and thats where the apprehension lies but then Windows should accept that, like it or not.

21. katio

katio Guest

Why is it that all the promising Linux threads here end up like this?

If I may say so: Everyone shut up and get back to topic!
    If you care to remember it was about a phoronix benchmark and not a general OS flame fest. If you haven't got the memo, they are boring as hell. We've seen them uncountable times and never, never ever anything good and productive came of it.

Thank you.

22. linuxforall

If thats the case, same can be said for all benchmarks period and just not Phoronix, that includes ones done at various sites like Tom's hardware and x-bit and others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.