Win7 - tool to display network requests

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sully, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Microsoft Port Reporter? Maybe doesn't work on Windows 7 though.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thank you for the infos. I will examine it. I know I used that one time before, but can't remember what for off-hand.

Sul.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I haven't heard of this before. I will have to find it.

Thanks.

Sul.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. MrBrian

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Thank you, but sniffers will be a little too intensive. I like the net limiting tools, they work pretty well. I think for what I need to do, they will suffice. Outpost Pro v6 also works very well, but you cannot buy a license now, only for the new v7, which I don't really care for.

Netbalancer is pretty nice, but not quite what I need. I wish it was, I like the displays quite a bit.

Thanks again to everyone.

Sul.

7. Zekeblue

Zekeblue Registered Member

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Have you given a try to Outpost Firewall FREE 2009? (It also shows the firewall log as happens with paid versions.) http://free.agnitum.com/

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

could you let me know your opinion about cfosspeed? :oops:

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes I did, but for what I wanted it lacked what was needed from the pro versions.

Sul.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I will.

Sul.

12. m00nbl00d

Hello,

Where have you seen that information for "Current Connections"?

I've been at www.cfos.de and the only part I find stating firewall alike features is for cfos.

http://www.cfos.de/techinfo/techinfo_e.htm
    http://www.cfos.de/techinfo/firewall_e.htm

I can't find info about cfosspeed, though. Could you point me in that direction? This one supports broadband mobile. cfos doesn't seem to, for what I could read.

Do both cfos and cfosspeed share the same firewall-alike features?

Thanks

-edit-

Found it. It was in front of my eyes! lol http://www.cfos.de/speed/documentation/options_e.htm#link_firewall

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  13. m00nbl00d

Sully, how has been your experience with cfosspeed?

I'm also looking for an app, preferable portable, that logs all connections that are done, including the name of the processes. It would be something like PeerBlock, except PeerBlock only logs blocked or allowed according to the IPs we have on blacklists, and no process name. But, one gets the picture. Actually, PeerBlock is also a great way of knowing what IPs are connecting to our machine and vice-versa. Sadly, no process name.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any like this? Perhaps, even one that would intercept connections that are droped or allowed by the firewall in place, and from what processes such drops or allows came from. I guess such doesn't exist. o_O

I've tried a command line switch someone mentioned here, from a technet library page, but it fails to work with me. lol Not what I wish, though. Like you, I want something that provides information real-time, just like what Outpost does.

14. MrBrian

Microsoft Network Monitor can do that. CurrPorts has a logging feature. SmartSniff may or may not do what you want.

15. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Nirsoft has many freeware network monitoring/diagnostic tools including the above mentioned smartsniff
    Have you checked out the rest of them?
    http://www.nirsoft.net/network_tools.html

Be warned of fps from you av though

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is such an unforgiving quest. I have been using firewalls since tiny and blackice, and remember when zonealarm was new. Not stroking my ego, just saying I have used them for a decent amount of time now. I got hookup up with a contracted coder who was working on Outpost v1. Outpost has been my favorite tool for logging and viewing network connections when I need one that examines per process.

I don't like the direction most firewalls have went, becoming a suite. Some of them are really very good, but I don't care for the UI or they lack what I really want, all depends. Outpost v6 does an OK job in showing me what I want, but I don't really want to use it for a firewall anymore. I liked the older versions better, but those days are gone.

Mac has a tool called Little Snitch, which I believe does what some of us want. It simply watches processes and connections, logs them and asks you "is this ok?". Maybe a sort of dumb application aware firewall is what I want.

Having tested a lot of these tools, in the past and some new ones recently, some of them (netlimiter and similar) are pretty good, but really are meant for another purpose, so they lack a little bit. Others, like currports or tcpview or openports, they also generally do a fine job. I don't really care for any of them for one reason or another, mostly due to the resource usage on them.

I believe to truly be able to run a tool for what I want, it must have a packet filter driver to be "easy" on the system. That means a firewall. A packet sniffer, well, that is just too much for what I want to use it for. I just want to look at a log of what happened during a certain time span.

For me, I would use Outpost v6 if it were still viable to purchase. Agnitum wants to sell v7 now. for now then, when I want/need to monitor things, I will just restore an image, install the 30 day trial, turn off all features but logging, and use it. When the experiment is completed, I will restore an image without the firewall. If I need it in the future, I will repeat. Works fine for me I guess as I don't really want a firewall running all the time anyway.

I still dearly wish there were an equivilent for little snitch on the windows platform. I might purchase net limiter or cfos, dont' know yet. I have a server which could make use of this technology.

Sul.

17. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sul, try here. As long as your license matches or exceeds the release date of the version you want to use, it should work fine.

18. m00nbl00d

I've actually looked at MNM, but for what I could understand it doesn't support USB 3G modems, unless I missed this bit of information. cfosspeed does, though. I already downloaded it and will give it a run in a virtual machine and see if that's what I want. cfosspeed's firewall isn't a real firewall, just like the developers say, and so no problem running along side Windows own.

I'll take a look at smartsniff, though.

Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.