Win7 protected mode

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Someguy, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someguy

Someguy Registered Member

I recently installed Win7 and noticed that although I am running IE8 in protected mode (mediun high), admin with highest UAC level, I am able to download stuff and save web pages to almost anywhere on the disk.

I checked with process explorer and IE is running in low integrity level.

I fail to see where the sandboxing is taking place, anyone please could help me out there?

Thanks all.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Someguy

Someguy Registered Member

That document is not technical and is very simplified, just found thisUnderstanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer.

Still have a lot to read...

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Internet Explorer has been engineered so that some parts of it run as low integrity while other parts run with higher integrity levels. This allows you to, for example, save a download to anywhere because the save part doesn't operate as low integrity. In this case, the boundary between the low integrity rendering parts and the higher integrity save part is protected by the save dialog box, which must be acknowledged before the save occurs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.