Win7 Homegroup

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by MasterTB, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

is windows seven homegroup ever going to work correctly with Eset Smart Security?

2. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

Re: Win7 Homegrroup

I had no problems with my Homegroup & ESS v5 RC (on a Win7 Ultimate x86). What problems are you experiencing?

3. MasterTB

Simple, Install ESS v5 and I don't see the homegroup anymore.
    The other PC is a Notebook with EAV and the windows firewall, couldn't be simpler.
    I Uninstall ESS and all is well again so... Eset's fault here.
    Been using Eset's product since version 2 and ESS since it started (check the forum) so I know when Eset's firewall is causing problems.

4. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Had the connect problem with Win7 homegroup and ESS V4 trial even though the advanced settings had homegroup checked as on. Searched for homegroup in the ESET knowledge base and found the article to set the firewall to interactive, reboot, answer to allow connection to remote computer and to remember the setting, then set the firewall back to automatic with exceptions. It worked, but the typical PC user without advanced troubleshooting skills might just disable the firewall or uninstall the program.

As a side note... For a successful uninstall, I found that disabling all ESS modules first, exiting all active network programs and shutting down other local network machines worked best. In other words, there is no active local network communication during uninstall -- learned this after having to use the removal tool on a prior uninstall.

Haven't tried V5 RC, but appears to be the same issue.

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Homegroup doesn't work with anything let alone Eset Smart Security. It is full of bugs and works for few days and then it doesn't work anymore.

Best regards,

KOR!

BTW, I don't have Eset Smart Security.

P.S. If you need help with network sharing, I can post some instructions. You don't need homegroup.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

That must be unique to your machine

As for the OP issue, see in case it can be applied
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2352

7. MasterTB

Thanks I tried that, there was no pop up (and I've been dealing with ESS since v3 so I should know how to make it pop :))
    Homegroup is simply not working with V5 installed.

Will go back to EAV for a while and check but I'm guessing they still haven't figured out how to set it up correctly.

BTW works with AVAST, Kaspersky and AVG, didn't test any others.

8. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

I would suggest a clean uninstall -- then use the cleanup utility from the Eset knowledge base. Reboot and reinstall. After I used the cleanup utility and reinstalled, homegroup worked fine.

9. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Well, here we go again. Did an V4 uninstall, cleaned up everything and installed V5. Homegroup failed to connect again. Homegroup was seen, just wouldn't serve up any info with V5 returning an error msg. Had to put V5 in Learning mode for a reboot, then back to Automatic -- not Automatic with Exceptions, just Automatic. Worked fine after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.