Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Line, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Line

Line Registered Member

Hello,

Avas has detected the following on my daughter’s laptop:
    FILE NAME: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{56A34B66-C852-4408-B10C
    MALWARE NAME: Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
    MALWARE TYPE: Virus/Worm
    VPS version: 0710-4, 06/02/2007
    The recommended action: Move to chest (so I did!!) and the scan is still running since 12:30pm (it is now 5:10pm).

Can anyone advise on the next course of action to remove this virus completely from the hard drive (Windows XP Professional).

Thank you (sorry if I have put this in the wrong topic - there are so many).

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can turn off system restore and restart your computer and it should be gone. You will lose all your restore points by doing this.
    Restart system restore after the malware is no longer found.

3. Line

Line Registered Member

Thank you for your prompt reply :D . I will try this as soon as this scan is over.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You probably should submit that file in the chest to the antivirus company so they can see what you are dealing with here.
    Let us know how you are doing.

5. Line

Line Registered Member

UPDATE:

1) After switching off system restore and restart, AVAS did not detect any infected files as you predicted :)thumb:) so I swithced on the system restore and restarted my system again.

2) Should I do anymore cleaning? Should I run SpyBot?

3) The suspect file is still in the chest (not sure how to submit it from there) but there is a longer list (incl. lots of other suspect files) within the WARNING drawer under AVAS LOG VIEWER (and that one I have managed to export into a note pad doc. (*.txt).

4) Should I go for another AntiVirus software (preferably a free one as we have 2 laptops and one pc).

Thank you again Ron!!!

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using Avast! antivirus? If so, they have a forum that may be able to help you with your chest submissions. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0 Or, there may be an Avast! user here that help you with virus sample submissions.

It sounds to me like your Antivirus is doing a great job. If you want another antivirus that you don't have to install, I would go for DrWEB Cureit.

7. Line

Line Registered Member

Yes sorry for the spelling!!! I have used AVAST 4.7 for the last 2 years and it's been pretty reliable.

Thank you again for the great advice!!! I never thought all would have been resolved today!! :D

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You're welcome and enjoy all the information that is available at Wilders.

9. Line

Line Registered Member

Yes I am reading (but very slowly...)

I scan the laptop again today and no virus was found. I now have another problem:

"about:blank", I think it is another malware problem..

I thought I might need a full CLEANING but I am still looking around there are so many stickies and the steps are so long (although I am prepared to go through them all if it would help but I always worry about the WARNING that comes with).

Thanks.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.