win32 - svchost

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sbsd, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbsd

sbsd Registered Member

I got some virus that had something to do with Win32. My AntiVirus program didn´t delete it although I have Real-time protection set for "Delete automatically" :( Anyway, after I virusscanned my temporary internet files I found that virus and the anti-virus program could easily delete it.

I know win32 has something to do with svchost.exe. If I look at Task Manager and then processes I see 5 or sometimes 4 processes called svchost.exe. I use Windows XP, is this normal? 2-3 of them have usename "System". 1 of them have the username "Local service" and one have "Network Service" as username.

If I do a file search on my computer I found one file called svchost.exe in the folder C\WINDOWS\system32.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This is correct :D

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

• SVC.GIF
      SVC.GIF
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

You have services running from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can indeed be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time.

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.