Win32/Patched.ED Trojan

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by wndovie, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wndovie

wndovie Registered Member

A colleague's system is infected with the following:

Object: W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WS2_32.DLL
    Threat: Win32/Patched.ED trojan

I attempted to remove the virus using NOD32 but that did not yield anything. Then I run Malwarebytes on the system but it found no infections.

Has anyone encountered this virus? and how did you manage to get rid of it permanently?

Thanks in advance.

Wn

2. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

Hi,

I've just had a call about this same threat and I am about to investigate it.

From what Ive been told the threat is spotted by ESET when the user launches Firefox. When remove/delete option is chosen nothing happens, it returns when Firefox is re-launched. Firefox is NOT usable.

Likewise, Malwarebytes does not find it.

I'm off to the user now, I'll update this post later.

Mike

3. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Replace WS2_32.DLL with a clean copy from your Windows CD.

4. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

I'm guessing that the Trojan has modified the WS2_32.dll with some malicious code?

Replacing the file with a clean copy makes sense, however, how do we know whether the Trojan's code has done more damage to the PC or downloaded other stuff to it?

Mike

5. sysedit

sysedit Registered Member

I found this same trojan in my system and it seems no one has found a way to rid their systems of it. Only very few results are shown with what we are dealing with, this being one of them. I have tried to replace the ws2_32.dll but it is in use in windows. I tried going to safe mode, get a glimpse of a blue screen and my pc restarts itself. My next step is to try a windows repair. I will advise if this works. I'd prefer not to do a reinstall but if I must, I will go to 7. I will post back to let you know of the results.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You'll find what you're after searching - replace inuse system file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.