Win2kpro setup don't find any hard drive

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by vinn, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Created empty snapshot. Boot to that snapshot. Get message NTLDR missing. Insert OS CD (win2kpro) in CDROM drive and set it as 1st boot device in BIOS. 2nd boot device is SCSI and 3rd floppy. Boot from CD. OS setup run. Press F6 and install drivers for SATA controller for hard drive (Maxtor 250gb sata 7Y250M0). Then setup says it does not see any hard drive connected and I should press F3 and leave setup. Have other hard drive (Seagate 80gb PATA) connected to IDE1 on mob (Abit NF7-S v2). I disconnect that drive before I boot to SATA drive. Is FD-ISR preventing setup from seeing MBR?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

FD-ISR is not doing magic with the MBR or partition table.
    Actually, when setup reports that no harddrive is available, that sounds like a hardware/bios/driver issue to me.

3. vinn

vinn Registered Member

I want to boot to an empty snapshot and do a fresh install of win2kpro. FD-ISR is on SATA drive. System boots to IDE drive and windows wants to install OS on this drive.
    Set bios boot sequence to CDROM, HDD0 (IDE), floppy. System has an IDE drive and a SATA drive. SATA drive has FD-ISR installed. IDE drive does not. Want to boot to empty Snapshot on SATA drive (250gb). System boot OS CDROM drive. Press F6 and install SATA Controller drives for SCSI drive. It seems IDE drive (80gb) is selected because Win2kpro setup wants to install to on this drive.

Windows 2000 Professional Setup
    To setup windows 2000 on the selected item, press enter
    76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi

C:NTFS 76309 mb(44622 free)
    unpartitioned space 8MB

How can I access FD-ISR on SATA drive from present IDE to select boot to empty snapshot. Is it that FS-ISR needs to be installed on the IDE drive although I want to utililze it on the SATA drive?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

FDISR will only work on the system drive. It needs to be installed there and all snapshots reside thefd. Archives can be stored elsewhere, but aren't bootable.

Pete

5. vinn

vinn Registered Member

My SATA drive (250gb) is larger than the IDE drive (80gb). Would like to make SATA system drive and run FD-ISR from there. Both drives have win2kpro and are bootable. How can I make SATA drive system drive. Was told that IDE drive and not SCSI (SATA) must be set in BIOS boot sequence.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

vinn,
    I don't know this works for every computer, but I would do it this way on MY computer :

1. I boot my computer and press immediately the "DEL-key" a few times to run BIOS settings.
    2. I choose the option "Advanced BIOS Features"
    3. I choose the option "Boot Sequence"
    4. I choose the option "Hard Disk Boot Priority"
    And there I can change the boot sequence of my two internal harddisks.
    I never tried it, but this is the way I would do it.

Since you have two bootable harddisks, you have to install FDISR on both.

7. wilbertnl

Since Vinn tries to install in an empty snapshot, I assume that FD-ISR is installed and functioning correctly.
    The issue is that the SATA is not visible, as I understand. I doubt that problem is related to FD-ISR.

8. vinn

vinn Registered Member

As you said the basic problem is that my SATA drive is not visible by windows 2000 setup although the mob SATA controller drives are loaded by pressing F6. I can boot to the SATA drive and work in it by disconnecting the IDE drive and setting BIOS boot sequence to floppy, CDROM, SCSI. Connecting both drives and including HDD in boot sequence, OS will install in IDE drive. Could there be a configuration problem on the SATA drive?

9. wilbertnl

So, how did you initially install Windows on the SATA drive?
    The setup must have worked some time, unless you used a disk image and didn't install at all?
    Or was it preinstalled?

Which motherboard are we talking about, and SATA is not on a add-in card, right?

10. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Installed win2kpro on Maxtor 250gb SATA drive at drive installation with MaxBlast 4 software. MaxBlast asked if I wanted to put info on present drive to new one. Chose yes. Also asked if I wanted to make new (SATA) drive bootable. Chose yes.

Motherboard Abit NF7-S v2.0

Mob SATA controller drivers added at win2k setup using F6 and floppy;

INTL (R) 8281FR SATA RAID Controller for windows 2000/xp/2003
    INTL (R) 8281FR SATA AHCI Controller for windows 2000/xp/2003
    INTL (R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller for windows 2000/xp/2003
    Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATA RAID controller for windows xp/Server 2003 (not added)

I notice that the floppy with drivers has a Via folder with 3 win2000sraid drivers but these don't appear in the list to be added at setup. Only the four files listed above appear. Those files are from the Intel folder in the floppy.

Motherboard;
    http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=124

Drivers;
    http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=124

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  11. wilbertnl

I just started Windows XP setup with the driver floppy. Although I don't have the SATA hardware, I can at least take a look.

Did you try to scroll down in the list and select Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATA RAID Controller for Windows 2000?

Since you have a Nvidia chipset, VIA is not an option, and I think that the Intel driver only applies to motherboards with Intel CPU/chipset.
    Look in the hardware devices of your current installation to see which chipset you have for SATA.

Allright, your motherboard is Abit NF7-S The S stands for Silicon. I just read the user manual.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  12. vinn

vinn Registered Member

Win2kpro setup was giving me the wrong info - Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATA RAID controller for windows xp/Server 2003

The link to the drivers above shows that the Sil 3112 driver is for win NT/2000/XP not just xp/Server 2003 as my OS setup was saying. I don't even need the Intel or Via drivers because my mob doesn't use them. My NF7-S has a Silicon Image SATA 3112 chip;

Sil3112 Sil3114 Intel VIA Installation Disk

Released Date: 2004-09-01
    Description:

1. For Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP
    2. Revision v1.33

Loaded Sil 3112 SATA RAID controller only at Setup, F6. SATA hard drive found. Win2k install successfully. Thanks for your generous help.

13. wilbertnl

It is my pleasure to be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.