Win10 Task Scheduler protection ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by gambla, Sep 11, 2016.

1. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Hey guys,
    I've googled excessivly but without result. Recently I've read some articles about malware abusing task scheduler / at.exe to run/create tasks. And my simple question is how to properly protect the scheduler from malware creating, running tasks ?

I haven't tested it yet but I guess that a non-admin account /UAC would prompt for admin creds ?
    Using SRP, it seems you can only deactivate the buttons to create/ run tasks in the task scheduler gui but not sure if malware can't create/run tasks anyway ?

2. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Come on guys, nobody ? Correct me from wrong, but this still looks like a security issue to me. In case a malware installed unnoticed, it can add a task to autostart without prompt ?

3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

You could install an anti-executable program like NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro, or AppGuard, or VoodooShield.
    I have at.exe marked as a vulnerable process in NVT ERP, requiring my interaction to run, and blocked in AppGuard, which also blocks schtasks.exe by default.
    AppGuard is relatively complex, NVT ERP is simpler to understand, and effective, but currently not being actively developed.
    Not sure how VS would handle these .exes but I think it would also prompt, depending on settings, and is very much under active development.
    There are threads for each of these products here on Wilders.

4. gambla

gambla Registered Member

great, that's a good start, thanks paulderdash !

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Malware might start but probably only in context of current user (same as writing autorun registry key in HKCU). Is at.exe running in medium integrity level allowed to create task that will run something with highest privileges? I don't think it can, but will have to test it.
    Also raise UAC to Always notify to prevent most bypasses.

7. guest

guest Guest

It would prompt for credentials if a task is created for an account with higher privileges.
    But not if it's a task for your own account.
    You can monitor the execution of at.exe/schtasks.exe with some apps (as mentioned above)

8. gambla

gambla Registered Member

thanks a lot guys

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I tried to create task using Task scheduler while logged in standard user. I could create task but only under my credentials. As soon as I tried to tick option to run task under highest privileges, I got asked for admin credentials. So task scheduler shouldn't be able to make system-wide changes (or schedule tasks that can do it) if not run under elevated rights. I didn't try creating tasks using at.exe but it should be the same (as long as you have UAC on max).

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I also use ERP to monitor at.exe, and I believe HIPS like SpyShelter also monitors the Task Scheduler. And don't forget about tools like AutoRuns and System Explorer, who both list all active and non-active tasks.

11. gambla

gambla Registered Member

I'm done with testing now and came to the (personal) conclusion that using an anti-executable is again highly recommended.

Proactive:

- If the limited user account / UAC is bypassed, it seems there is no further indication/notification about (repeated) executed tasks (running malware).
    Tasks, once added to the Scheduler, can apparently simply suppress UAC prompts.
    - I'm using Comodo IS, and access to task scheduler /execution is protected.

Reactive:
    - SysInternals' autostart and CCleaner have the option to disable any tasks, but would need user to check periodically.

> Test:
    I've used CIS in "paranoid mode" to find out what installing a program (known to use task scheduler) is triggering. I thought that every program would trigger any/all of schtasks.exe / taskhostw / taskeng.exe but it seems not:

Example: HitmanPro

AtBroker.exe
    sihost.exe
    Runtimebroker.exe
    backgroundtaskhost.exe

Example: Google Chrome

taskeng.exe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.