Win Patrol Monitoring Strokes

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Col Colt, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Col Colt

Col Colt Registered Member

I have the latest version that I updated to last night of WinPatrol Plus. I've had this program for at least two years now. This morning when I first booted up, Zone Alarm warned me that "Win Patrol is trying to monitor your mouse movements and keyboard strokes". What's that all about? I haven't seen that before and can't imagine why that's needed as it's certainly not desired by me! Anyone have an idea about this?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

it may not be a mouse or keyboard hook, but rather a hook for some of its realtime protection. if it is a keyboard/mouse hook, then maybe winpatrol has some shortcuts for executing certain actions.

3. Col Colt

Still seems a bit odd to me they would need to do that for any reason as I don't recall that coming up before.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Most security software uses hooks. This is the problem with using software that alerts you on everything, it's often hard to know what's legit and what's not.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Taken from Winpatrols faq:

http://www.winpatrol.com/faq.html

Does WinPatrol monitor my keystrokes?

NO!
    Unfortunately, some programs have incorrectly indicated that Scotty is a keystroke spy. WinPatrol (PatrolPro.dll) uses a common Windows function called SetWindowsHook which allows Scotty to monitor some activities. This generic function is used by Windows to monitor a variety of actions including mouse clicks, internal messages, keystrokes, syscommands. In WinPatrol's case we use it to be notified when a new window is about to be created. A new window is one of the triggers used by R.I.D. to indicate a possible change in your installed programs.
    WinPatrol will never communicate with the internet unless you specifically request information.

6. Col Colt

Well, that's refreshing to know!:) Thanks-it surely looked suspect. At least I know my ex-wife had nothing to do with it!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.