Win Installer broke

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Greetings........Windows Installer is broke on my system.......no need to mention what a huge problem this is. Is there a tool to fix it. I would rather not go into the registry manually and attempt to repair it...

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

3. Rainwalker

I saw that link prior to my posting, but thought it would need the installer to install itself
    :blink:

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

No, this installs the Win-Installer application and the needed service again. That's all you have to do :thumb:

5. Rainwalker

Greetings Tommy......this did not work...i tried in both Normal and Safe mode.....any other considerations ?

6. ravin

ravin Registered Member

7. tgell

tgell Registered Member

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

One thing after another with you! :D;)

Here, most common Windows Installer issues on one page, 'bout a third of the way's down on Kelly's Korner.
    ~ Not sure why nobody ever think's to look there first. Oh well .... ~

Edit: Just in case .... do you have an "Official" install source of sp2, or your source is sp1 and sp2 was through update?
    Msi version? Is the Recovery Console available (again, just in case)?

Edit II: Forum comment about the program mentioned in the post below mine, plus one other you may find of interest.

GF

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  9. osip

osip Registered Member

I suggest that you make a "googling" after a splendid little freebe called dial-a-fix...It has repair functions for win installer issues...

10. Rainwalker

Thanks all....no time at the moment to look at links, but will do so soon.......as i said my system got very corrupted and i have been slowly getting it back together...........really HATE reinstalling the OS so i bang away............thanks again :)

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"As I said, my system got very .... and I have been slowly" Exploration's in futility?

Trying to re-assemble and straighten out what your experiencing is for some of us a complete waste of you know what. It usually take's day's unless your an outright engineer, even then I'd remain skeptical. :cautious: Tell me you could re-install with all your driver's, program's (take's what, less than a minute for the average install), and setting's (as registry edit's merged - one, two, three) laid down in no more than three to five hour's instead of the countless day's and day's fumbling around dealing with an over-abundance of error messages and whathaveyou's and I'd say without question, "GET A MOVE ON!"

Envision .... a brand spanking new system free from probably most nonsense we window's user's go through on what sometime's seem's a daily basis, a chance to NOT install app's we sort of questioned important, lay down a couple of partition's for experimentation (if you were to choose), not to mention integrating sp1/sp2 source file's the right way (in case sp2 wasn't included on the source install). Good practice in case the time's between get to long, lest we forget. :eek:

Is it me, or are there many other's out there who have a hard time viewing it this way? :D Hey, on the bright side such a problem present's opportunity of it's own in the form of individual solution's for web traveller's with isolated system shortcoming's .... has to make someone's day every now and then!

Best of luck to you all the same RW in your "struggle to persevere." Know there's a motivated support group here for you and anyone else who might be venturing for a fix!

GF

12. Rainwalker

Thank you for taking the time to write as you did GF.....i am aware of all you wrote, but first and foremost, i should have mentioned way back when, I AM STUBBORN...........yes, one could go and on, concerning the pros and cons of such a view, but i is what i is..........i have always known that time is drawing closer to the dreaded reinstall.......i use dialup
    thanks again though...
    BTW would you share your brand of coffee :D

13. Rainwalker

Hello Raven...The download seems to install ok, but does not.......still receive error message...

14. Rainwalker

15. ravin

ravin Registered Member

If you have your OS system disk trying running sfc /scannow at a command prompt to correct system file errors.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  16. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Rainwalker,
    Do you use firefox. Sometimes when I used firefox, I could not see the whole page on these support sites of Microsoft. Anyway, here is method #2

Method 2: Reinstall the Windows Installer
    To reinstall the Windows Installer, rename the damaged Windows Installer files, and then reinstall the Windows Installer. To do so: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER, where Drive is the drive where Windows is installed and where %Windir% is the folder where Windows is installed:
    attrib -r -s -h drive:\%Windir%\system32\dllcache
    For example, type
    attrib -r -s -h c:\windows\system32\dllcache
    Note If you are using Windows 98, type system instead of system32.
    4. At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:
    ren msi.dll msi.old
    ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old
    ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old
    5. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    6. Restart your computer.
    7. Update the Windows Installer files on your hard disk to the latest version. Windows Installer 2.0 is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center. • For Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Windows 98:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&displaylang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&displaylang=en)
    • For Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f9-2d36-4977-8fa1-6f8a0f5dca8f&DisplayLang=en (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f9-2d36-4977-8fa1-6f8a0f5dca8f&DisplayLang=en)
    • For Windows XP: For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    893803 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803/) Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) is available

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my windows installer always use to break. the easist fix for me was to merge the MSI registry settings back in to the registry. it should be safe to just double click and merge, but it's probably safer to save the key first, or just make a registry backup.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/msi_assoc.zip

the download is from this page -
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

MSI File Association Fix (Restore default associations for MSI files)

you can also make sure the srvices is starting up correctly if that doesn't work.

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

19. Rainwalker

UPDATE: I got installer working...the only thing that worked was re-installing SP2.....thanks again to all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.