Win 98SE NOD32 2.5 error message

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HAN, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Scan performed at: 5/14/2005 10:01:12 AM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.1093 (20050511)
    Operating memory - System memory cannot be scanned (the kernel service is not running or an error occured while loading nod32m1.vxd).
    Boot and MBR sectors - Error reading disk sectors

I get this message when running a manual scan on a Win 98SE Compaq laptop. The PC is clean (verified by various adware/spyware programs and Hijack This.) NOD32 is installed to the default directory. This PC does have the Compaq "D" drive recovery partition they used at the time this PC was manufactured. The PC seems fine and runs ok except for this message. NOD32 also seems to be ok except for this message.

I have googled for this message and found that others have sometimes had this issue too. But I cannot find anything that would explain it for me and this PC. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing but no change. The nd98enst.exe file I'm using is ok because I used it on another 98SE PC I have (separate license...I'm legal :) ) and it's normal.

Any other ideas? If no solutions, is it ok to run it this way?

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Bump

Anyoneo_O

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Han, I have asked Eset to take a look at this thread as well as this one.

Cheers :D

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I, as well as many others, had the same problem when trying to update on Win XP Pro.

In every case the fix turned out to be uninstalling Nod32, rebooting, and only then doing a fresh install.

Also see here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=80253

So I suggest you give that a try.

5. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello Han,

I would echo TonyKlein's advice to start with... a clean re-install ought to be the answer.

However, another option is to run the command line "nod32krn.exe /app" (the full line is "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe /app" but it depends where you keep your NOD32 application on your PC). When you run this, nothing much should happen... a screen might flash up briefly but that's OK. The idea is that this might jump start your NOD32 Kernel Service into action.

Bandicoot.

6. TonyKlein

Yes, maybe, but as you won't want to do this every time you boot up, I'd still go for the fresh install...

This one is obviously botched, at least to some degree.

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Blackspear: Thanks! :D

Tony: I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I'll wait to see what eset thinks... :)

8. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

So did you try my suggestion of jump starting the kernel service? You will not have to do this every time you start your machine, as TonyKlein suggested. It might fix the problem, but I cannot guarantee that. It's worth a try at least.

You're using an adware programme also? There is an option in AdAware SE, for example, that prevents other programmes (inc. NOD32) from writing to the RUN key in the Registry. Under Tools and Preferences there is a section titled Blocking Options. Within this area there is an object checked that states "Lock start-up section".

Bandicoot.
    Eset.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Bandicoot: Sorry! The 98 SE PC having troubles is at work so I couldn't get back to it until today.

I checked to see if the nod32krn.exe service is running at bootup with Sysinternals Process Explorer and it is. I do use AdAware SE but just the free version which does not have the blocking capability. I do use Mike Lin's Startup Monitor (which could block the startup) but I allowed nod32krn.exe to load at boot and as noted above, it does start at boot. Also, as I noted in an earlier post, I have used the identical same installation file (nd98enst.exe) to load v2.5 on another 98SE PC and it runs ok. So I am stumped...

FWIW, I decided to try and see if I could revert back to 2.12 and see if things are ok. They are. 2.12 runs fine with no MBR errors or "the kernel service is not running or an error occured while loading nod32m1.vxd" error either.

I am tempted to let this go as this PC rarely gets on the web. But I guess I remain curious as to what goes wrong on this PC... :)

10. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hmmm.... I'm stumped too. It could be that NOD32 is not getting the list of applications that run at startup, in which case it is a system error.... maybe. The only thing to do is reinstall Windows. Bit drastic, but unless anybody has any better suggestions?

Bandicoot.
    Eset.

11. LedZep

LedZep Registered Member

For a client of mine I am switching over their AV to NOD32 and regardless how I install (clean manual install or scripted install from RA) the error appears in the scanlog of all the windows98SE machines. Scan itself runs fine tho.

Any more suggestions as to solutions, I have plenty of testmachines to play with :D

For this client the problem will eventually disappear as the machines are to be bumped up the OS order as well, but with AV-subscription deadline looming switching the AV is priority no uno :p

Cheers,

Led

12. LedZep

LedZep Registered Member

details of AV-switch procedure:

Uninstall old AV
    Reboot
    Remove all remnants of old AV (eg registry entries, etc)
    Reboot
    Install NOD32
    Reboot
    Run initial Scan

13. rjprice

rjprice Registered Member

I am getting exactly the same errors as reported by HAN in post #1. I'm also running Win 98SE. I tried 'jump starting' the kernel service as suggested by Bandicoot, but that made no difference.

My install procedure was as follows (pretty careful, I thought!):
    Disable ZoneAlarm (Free) from loading at startup.
    Reboot.
    Uninstall NOD32 v2.12.3 from the Programs menu.
    Run msconfig and uncheck everything in the Startup tab.
    Reboot.
    Install NOD32 v2.50.19, typical/default settings except I opted to put my user name and password in later.
    Reboot.
    Re-enable ZAF.
    Run msconfig and re-check everything in the Startup tab.
    Reboot.
    Visit this forum and work through Blackspear's settings (thanks again to him BTW), following just about everything except adding the scheduled scan task.

What I'd like to ask is, how serious are these errors? Since there's several users reporting the same thing, is it safe to just hang on with things as they are until Eset have worked out a solution, or do I need to revert to 2.12.3 until this problem with 2.50.19 is sorted out?

Richard

14. rjprice

Does the latest program update 2.50.25 fix this problem, or are Eset still working on that? Obviously I could just try the update, but I'd like to know whether anything's supposed to have changed first.

Richard

15. rjprice

This thread seems to have gone rather cold, but in case anyone's still interested - I've now installed version 2.50.25, and I'm glad to say the problem with scanning memory and MBR has gone away. I didn't let NOD32 do the automatic update, but instead went for the careful uninstall and reinstall as in post #13. Of course I still don't know whether it's specifically 2.50.25 which has fixed it, or just that a second clean reinstall (as suggested by TonyKlein) was sufficient.

Richard

16. TonyKlein

I would assume it does. I've now updated Nod32 on two XP Pro installations using the 'automatic updater', and I'm happy to report it went without a hitch both times. :)

17. Blackspear

Good to see guys, and thanks for letting us know...

18. HAN

HAN Registered Member

After reading the experiences of the others, I did a clean install of 2.50.25 on my old but trusty Win 98SE PC. I'm happy to report that the latest version also runs fine on my PC too. So I guess we could consider this thread solved... ;)

19. Blackspear

Good to sse, and thanks for letting us know Han...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.