Win 8 eating away my bandwidth constantly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ams963, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How do I close an app? I could find no way to close an app. No close icon or anything. Only thing I can do is return to desktop app and use task manager to end process and app.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Weird stuff. Bandwidth consumption stops and resumes randomly. Just don't get it.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Nope, never experienced it. From reading the article:
    • It's a bug.
    • It has to do with running a LOT of live apps, I run quite a few and don't experience it.
    • The OP isn't using metro at all, it is highly unlikely he/she will experience it either.
    • It has nothing to do with bandwidth consumption.

All this doesn't justify NormanF's incorrect sensationalism.

5. elapsed

That would only (obviously) consume bandwidth if you were actually adding data to the SkyDrive folder. Once said data is synced it no longer uses bandwidth.

2 things I can think of:
    Windows Updates.
    App Updates.

Windows 8.1 introduces automatic background app updates and if you've only just installed it, there may be a few. Try opening the "App Store", open the "Charms" bar (mouse over top-right corner of the screen), click "Settings", click "App Updates", then click "check for updates". Download any updates available or uninstall said apps.

6. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

When I first installed Windows 8, it was using full bandwidth, I disabled updates, then restart, but it still occurred. After some investigations I found that it was downloading nvidia driver. Apparently "Device Installation" is enabled by default in Windows 8.

Attached Files:

7. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Amit, You could close an app by pressing Alt-F4, this should effectively terminate the app.

But, i would advice not closing the app, unless you are so sure and concerned about it.

Windows 8 Apps are different in how they operate to regular desktop apps. Once an app loses its focus, those processes runs in the background and windows allocates bare minimum resources to it.

References...
    from Microsoft..
    from extremetech..

8. harsha_mic

Neither did i faced this issue. It could have been fixed, or a rare scenario to be reproduced...

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

drag from the top all the way to the bottom.

or return to desktop, point cursor at top left, right-click and close from there.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It's hard work with touchpad or mouse to do that.:(:thumb:

Ah that's a great way. Thanks a lot moontan :D:thumb:

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. Anyways bandwidth has finally stopped being constantly consumed. Don't know if updates of apps caused it or not.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Exactly what happened to me.

This could be the cause. The prob is gone now. If you're right then perhaps Win 8 has finished downloading and installing devices.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah thanks a lot. It's very handy. :thumb:

But with desktop do we leave software open even if they are allocated minimum resource? Why should it be any different with apps? What's special in the case of Win 8 apps?

14. harsha_mic

Welcome!!

I am not sure about more technical details..
    As far as i know..
    Windows 8 Apps
    -- Runs on new Runtime environent called WinRT which is a modernized version of .NET CLR.
    -- And are designed to be power efficient.
    -- And when app is not in the foreground, they are literally suspended, which is not the case with regular desktop apps.
    -- Have not faced any slowness with Windows 8 at all. I restart my laptop once or twice a week most. It does not to be the case with Windows 7 with me.
    -- Metro apps are runs on top of IE10 with chromeless window in Windows 8 and for 8.1 it runs on IE11 which should be more faster/efficient :)

And this is the reason (i think), we still need to close the traditional desktop applications when not in use..

Perhaps with more insight can tell more about Windows 8 Apps, i am interested to know.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  15. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Pardon my ignorance, but if an app suspends itself when not in the foreground, how are you supposed to multitask with apps that need to continue running? An antivirus doing a full system scan, video encoding, or a bittorrent client are examples of things you may want to have running while you do something else. Would they just stop if you bring another app into focus? From what I've read, they can register themselves as background tasks, but then they have limitations.

I realize the kinds of applications I mentioned will run in the desktop component for now, but isn't RT supposed to be "the future?"

16. elapsed

I believe apps can prevent themselves from suspending when they are actually performing tasks.

It's either that or they use a dedicated background task for whatever function they are doing. To try draw a comparison you can imagine closing a messaging app, but still receiving message notifications.

17. harsha_mic

i don't think it is not the case with all the apps to be suspended when in the background...

For Example..

Apps like Music,Mail - When opened once it runs in the background too receing e-mails/paying music..

Apps like Video,Vevo,Flixter,Netflix - When sent to background, video will be halted when not in focus (sent to background). Again resumes, when you bring up the window. Main advantage with these video apps i see is that, better playback (no slutter in the frames, as i usually see with flash players)...And comparatively ...less cpu usage too

And in general these apps needs to be improved to act as a better alternative to desktop ones....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.