Win 7 SP1 firewall still active with ESET too

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by poluxbgames, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poluxbgames

poluxbgames Registered Member

Hello,

i've seen since the installation of the Win 7 SP1 ( 64bits ) that the firewall (of windows ) ask me for some trafic authorisations sometimes... but it's disabled on security center...??! Eset smart security is active too ( firewall work fine ) and nothing is going wrong but it's strange...
    When i go to firewall properties on windows, it seems to be active for private network but disabled for public... but on security center it's disabled..

Everything work fine but is it normal??

2. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

3. poluxbgames

Thanks for reply!
    when i go to control panel, security, show firewalls installed, it show:
    ESET activated and Windows firewall Off..
    but if i go to 'control panel', windows firewall, it shows: Private network: activated...
    the firewall seems to be half activated... since the windows 7 SP1 installation... on security tab of control panel, it's off but on Firewall tab it's on... certainly a bug..
    it seems that all working good but sometimes i've two firewall message that appears, ESET and windows...

4. STRYDER

STRYDER Registered Member

I have seen this as well. Windows Firewall services are indeed left on after ESS is installed. I have WIN7 64bit

5. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

The Win FW will be OFF but the service will be running!

If you disable the service you will not have full control of the Sharing Options.

I disable it and edited the reg so all my sharing is totally off as have no need for them, so mines state "custom" instead of normal status which AFAIR is enable or disabled or on and off.

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

If firewall is 'off', Windows Firewall service will not interfere with anything except it will keep tracks of new networks (Public, Home, and Work).

7. Temp Member

The Win FW service is not needed for the above, the Action Centre does all that even with Win FW service disabled.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

If you fully disable windows firewall from services you may get some software install problems. I had about 3 games that roll back just before installation completed with an unknown error.
    This was due to them failing to create a rule in windows firewall, you can work around this but it does no harm just to turn windows firewall off (or let eset do it.)

9. Temp Member

Never had an issue, again if you simply turn off the Win FW (not service) how can it create a rule while a game is installing?

Makes no sense!

10. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

When you say "sometimes i've two firewall message that appears, ESET and windows..."

Could you please take a screen shot of what you see and share it with us here?

Thank you!

11. poluxbgames

I will do when it will append again ;)
    in fact, the windows firewall ask me if i want to let an application to access network, and ESET firewall too.
    But nothing seems to doesn't work, and no slow on network or so...

12. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I have 64 custom rules in windows firewall for applications and it's never been on.

13. Temp Member

As soon as I set up Vista (30 months old install still running fine) I reset all rules for Win FW after ESET was installed and totally disabled it and have zero rules in it when I checked right now.

Same goes for Win 7 though it is is a younger install.

14. terradon

terradon Registered Member

Out of curiosity, I checked Windows Firewall on my system. Win7 64 bit SP1, clean installed. It is turned off, but, I, too have many inbound and outbound rules. More than 20 have Yes in the enable column. I'll attach the inbound csv as an example. Could this be a cause for for significant slowdowns at times?

ESS 4.2.71.2

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.