Win 7 Firewall Doesn't Start on Boot

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pandorax, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Win 7 firewall doesn't start on boot if i disable the dns client service. I have to enable it manually every windows restart. Firewall starts on boot if i enable the dns client. How can i solve this issue?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If it is working ok with it on why do you need to disable dns service?

3. pandorax

I want to manually set dns rules for per application.

4. pandorax

So can i assume everyone here who uses win 7 firewall keeps dns client service enable? Or the issue is only for me?

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

DNS Client service startup type should have no effect on Windows Firewall starting. I keep DNS client enabled but I have had it disabled before with no effect on the Windows firewall. Have you got other services set to Disabled startup type that might somehow be affecting Windows firewall?

6. pandorax

Thanks for your answer. I have disabled couple of services that there is no dependencies with windows firewall service.

7. wat0114

Is the Windows firewal service Startup type showing Manual or Disabled after you disable the DNS client service?

8. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Agreed... it "shouldn't". But I've come to find on these newer OS's that many concessions that shouldn't have to be made, do have to be for things to work right. And it's one of the main reasons I have no desire to "upgrade".

9. pandorax

It shows "auto" but doesn't say "running", i have to enable it from control panel, windows firewall.

UPDATE: I have enabled "dhcp client" service instead of "dns client", windows firewall works on boot. I have to enable either "dhcp client" or "dns client. Firewall doesn't work on boot if both of them are disabled.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  10. wat0114

If you have rules for it configured, you could export the configuration, then Restore defaults, and see if that fixes the startup issue with DNS client disabled. Otherwise I can't think of anything other ideas :(

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You have to keep dhcp client enabled or you won't even be able to get a dhcp lease and IP from your ISP (no internet) I believe... unless I am overlooking something. It's been a long time since I messed with firewalls and rules.

So just leave dhcp client enabled, and all is well, no? :)

12. pandorax

No, it is not like that. I have internet connection when both services are disabled, it is not related to firewall. I just need to enable firewall after each boot. I set internal ip different from my router's dhcp ip pool. I have set dhcp client service enabled for now.

13. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

DNS Client does affect the Windows Firewall only regarding the logging feature. It works without problems without it. Other service may cause this problem. Why do you disable Windows services ? You will not increase your computer performance if you disable Windows services. We are not anymore on Windows XP era to tweak the services.

14. itman

itman Registered Member

15. pandorax

I disabled "smard card", "windows defender", "wmp network service", "remote desktop.." "tablet whatever" kind of services. These are not related to windows firewall service. I didn't disable them to gain performance.

I didn't try that. I don't think it will fix this issue!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.