Win 7 32 now: 64 later ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Win 7 64 is more trouble then it's worth right now. I have it as Home Premium. Upgraded from Vista. Can I remove it, install the 32 bit version and sometime down the road replace 32 with 64 using the same license key and on the same computer ? I kinda think I can, but want to be absolutely certain.

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Yeah sure you can. What trouble are you having?

3. Rainwalker

That's good news....Well, missing Flash a lot and would like to load some old games. Tried Crysis in compatibility mode: no luck. Have older games that I may give a shot at installing before going back to 32. Liking the 64 concept and the positive it offers but.....will possibly wait til SP1. Will mess around a bit more. Thanks for responding JohnnyDollar.

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

There is no flash for 64bit browsers on windows. You can use 32bit browsers though and have flash with no problem. I ran crysis on my x64 machine with no problems, it has a x64 executable also. You can run either one, the 32 or 64. You may want to hold off and not rush to reinstall. Sounds like you got a few issues that need to be worked out. If your other games are at least 32bit then you should be able to run them most likely. Real old games that were 16bit cannot be run on x64 machine. Those 16bit games are so old though that you probably wouldn't want to run them anyway. Windows x64 has a syswow emulator for 32 bit apps, so the vast majority of 32bit apps will run on x64 os with no problem.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Anything that worked in Vista should work in 7 also, unless you maybe went from Vista x32 to 7 x64? There is no flash for Win x64, for Linux there is an x64 flash alpha that works fine. None in Win though. Just use regular 32 bit browsers in Win and you'll have your usual flash working. You might want to just try the x32 7 instead. That should be just about like Vista, but cleaner and better.

6. Rainwalker

The problem I am having with Flash is it loads up ok in FF 32 compatibility mode and will pass the test, but then browser locks up. I can close browser go to a flash site( You Tube), watch a video then browser locks again. o_O Amazing Adobe is so far behind. I guess with a monopoly in that corner of the web. Why hurry :( Anyone with problem fixing ideas ?
    Thanks for pointing out Crysis info. Before I had attempted to run it in 32. This time I simply installed 1.2 patch and let it install as is. Running smooth so far. Better then 32. No surprise there..............All and all I like Win 7 64...just a bit annoying at this point.

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

You don't need to run firefox in compatibility mode. I have Win7x64 and don't have to run anything that I have in compatibility mode. IMO your firefox flash problem has nothing to do with you having a 64bit os.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
  8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I think you're right.... There's no need for compatibility mode for browsers. That may actually be causing the problem.

9. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

I visit flash sites of all kind with Windows 7 64-bit, and do not run anything in compatibility mode. Youtube also is perfectly fine. Did not encounter a single issue with any flash site. In fact, I did not find any application that did not work for me... I believe, there's something else going on on your system.

10. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Rainwalker,

What else do you have running in compatibility mode? Security apps? You said you ran crysis in it and firefox. Just pretend like you are running a 32 bit os and run your programs like you always have (no compatibility mode). Do that and see if that helps your stability.

11. Rainwalker

Hmmm.....OK will do. Thanks JohnnyDollar !

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.