Win 2k\ XP max. memory question.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ThunderZ, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. ThunderZ

Thanks for the links. Yep 4 gigs it is. :eek: I do some multi-tasking.....plus anything I build I tend to over build. :D If you think 4 gigs is a lot, wait till you see my final build. It will be based on a Tyan server mobo. http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qw.html ;)

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I can go upto 4gb, but 2gb is more than enough. All my applications open within 3 seconds, that's enough for me. :)

5. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Start out with 1GB and move up to 2GB if necessary. A quality 939-pin MB will run about $90 (less with rebate). Add $150 for the X2 3800. The 3800 shouldn't have any problem hitting 2.5GHz overclock. A good chip can approach 2.8GHz with Corsair VS RAM (use 5:6 memory divider). There is practically ZERO performance gain between 939 NF4 boards. Why? Because of the onboard memory architechture of the AMD K8 CPU.

I'd dump the stock CPU cooler in favor of the Artic Freezer 64 Pro (about $25).

Spending a lot of $ on A CPU/MB combo is foolish, because there will be much faster and cheaper systems in one year.

Use Task Manager to determine peak memory load and add more physical RAMs as required.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240178

6. WSFuser

what OS do u plan on pairing it with?

7. ThunderZ

Thanks for all the info. suggestions. My current rig is OC`d. While it runs very well I just do not like doing it, thus the reason for the over build on this one. Also, replacing the processor cooling fan is a done deal.....something I do on all my rigs just as a matter of habit.

8. ThunderZ

My current plans are for it to be a Win 2k PC. However I have started to warm up to XP Pro a little over the course of the last year or so. But it will start life as a 2k PC for now.

9. ThunderZ

Edit If your refering to my future build on the server mobo. It will probably be a dual boot. Win ?? and Linux ??.

10. WSFuser

which windows tho? with 32-bit XP u wont be able to purchase too much memory.

11. ThunderZ

I have a copy of XP 64 yet to be installed because of the lack of driver support. Hopefully things will have changed between now and then. :shifty:

12. ThunderZ

If I read the articles right, seems 2k will support 4 gigs right out of the box, while 32 bit XP would require a tweak. I knew there was a reason I liked the ol` classics. ;)

13. WSFuser

14. ThunderZ

Am I reading it right? It will support it but not label it correctly under System Properties. I feel a head ache coming on :cool: :blink: o_O

Edit Read it a bit more throughly. Looks like 3 gig is the limit for Win 2k 32 bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.