Win 2000 into WinXP?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kotoma, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kotoma

Kotoma Guest

My desktop pc running on Win2000, is the way I like just now..
    I got a new Laptop running on WinXP.

Is there any easy way to transfer all the settings, programs, e-mail, etc into the new laptop?

I don't know if any of Acronis software could do something like that?

Different system and hardware... perhaps impossible?

Kotoma

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I prefer clean installs on new systems, but not everyone agrees.

TI can't do what you want. It would make your new machine a Windows 2000 system.

You might look at Aloha Bob to transfer everything.

If you don't mind reinstalling the programs, the Windows XP Files and Settings transfer Wizard can do most of the rest.

3. Kotoma

Kotoma Guest

==================

Thanks John for your replay!!

I never heard of "Aloha Bob" I will take a look.

Kotoma

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kotoma,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

jmk94903 is not completely correct answering your question.

Acronis True Image 8.0 allows you to create an image of your old laptop's hard drive saving it to any type of the supported media (e.g. CD, DVD, ZIP drive, removable hard drive, etc.), then boot your new laptop from special Bootable Rescue CD and restore your image.

Please note that in order to transfer your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep)

You can find more information on how to prepare your Windows for transferring to another hardware in the following FAQ article.

Please be aware that we can not guarantee the successful transfer in this case. Actually, no one can guarantee this ;)

In case your newly restored operating system does not boot, please perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post. It should help.

You can read more on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version to see how the software works on your computer.

In case you will be satisfied with the work of the trial version, please visit Acronis online store to purchase the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Alexy,

My main point was that his new machine is Windows XP while his old machine is Windows 2000. There's no way to make TI restore a Windows 2000 image from his old machine and have it retain the Windows XP operating system on his new machine.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jmk94903,

I'm sorry for misunderstanding you and Kotoma.

Of course Acronis True Image 8.0 does not allow one to transfer only applications or setting, since it overwrites the system partition replacing it with the once backed up partition creating the exact copy of the source operating system.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.