Will your anonymity be compromised if you use Tor with Windows 8?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I've heard rumors about a backdoor on Windows 8 that allows the NSA to see everything you do on Windows 8 in real time. Is this true or not? If this is true, then it doesn't matter that you use Tor because they can still see everything you do in real time.

2. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

If this were true I expect someone with wireshark on a pc down the line would have produced logs by now and there would be no question. If it's a door that only 'opened on command' however it could be harder to track down and I will not say that it does not exist.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, such a channel would use innocuous servers, and it would be encrypted.

It might even be covertly encoded on legitimate Microsoft connections.

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It is not true, and you can check it yourself with a sniffer. If Win8 would send real time info about your activities it would have to send data to a server all the time, and that doesn't happen.

5. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

While there's probably no obvious "backdoors" in any version of any Windows OS, there's plenty of exploits. That's why the Tails distro exists, so that you can operate from a clean OS.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

In real time? I doubt it. There are too many researchers, hackers and others monitoring network traffic that Windows produces. It would get noticed by someone and MS would probably have to close it's business. Exploits are possible but they usually get closed when they get public.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

windows 8 tries to force you to create a Microsoft account for use with Windows Store and various apps. I suppose this could compromise your anonymity, but you can either switch to a local account (or install Windows 8 without internet connection to start off with a local account), or just disable all the apps and services that want to dial home.

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

As I've opined before, the anonymity provided by any OS is limited by what it knows about you. It's not prudent to rely on assumptions, workarounds or whatever. If the OS knows who you are, it's safest to assume that it shares your identity with others.

So, if you have obtained your Windows 8 anonymously, and never contaminate it with information about your identity, it's safe to use it with Tor. Otherwise, it's not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.