Will you use Bitdefender as your Real Time Protection AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by karll, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karll

karll Guest

Just wanna know if you would, I dumped Kaspersky due to much resources and I'm looking for an alternative.

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I had bitdefender 7.2 but it had 4 processes taken in total of +-25mb in mem. I found that quite a lot but an excellent scanner if you ask me and excellent monitor. Would stick to kav if I may choose.

3. MasterComputer

MasterComputer Registered Member

Hate to say it, but I agree. I have KAV installed on one machine only because it is such a resource hog. Yet, anytime I have a question about an email (hoax), file, questionable website, etc., I can always count on KAV finding the virus or trojan (if one exists) when the other popular AV usually does NOT. This is sad, very sad! Out of a dozen different machines here, some running Norton, McAfee, AVG, PC-cillin, and others, 9 times out of 10 all the other AV will catch something or nothing, but KAV always manages to find more.

Do me a favor, please! If you find something that is as good as KAV, please let me know! Especially if it's as good at catching everything, but doesn't suck-up so much resources and consequently slow things down to a crawl!

Thanks!
    Rob K :)

4. karll

karll Guest

I like Kav but it's rough on memory. When I had kav I had it with boclean and spysweeper/zonealarm pro running on resident.

Really uses up memory, hard on resources and slows down my load time for my pc but an excellent scanner.

Bitdefender 8 is good, great scanner and monitor I will try it out later, if I don't like it I will go back to kav.

I need a av/firewall/spyware blocker that can handle a 1.1 ghz, 256 mb, intel celeron processor.

thanks

5. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

With those requirements I'd look at F-Prot, Zone Alarm Free 4.5.594, SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D - the last two protect you but don't need to run, so they don't consume valuable RAM. DrWeb is another good AV but probably better avoided if you're relatively inexperienced, and Kerio 2.15 is a light firewall that's very well regarded, but you'd need to put in some time learning how to configure it.

Whatever your setup, you may want to consider adding another freebie, Prevx Home. It protects your PC by locking down those parts of the file structure and registry that malware typically attacks. It runs at about 3 mb, and is easy to use straight out of the box. An excellent product.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Agree. Of the low resource users, F-prot & DrWeb are about as good as they get. I am a computer-doofus but, in over 1 year of using DrWeb, I have had nothing but great results -- NO problems.

7. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi Karll, I downloaded the free version of bitdefender. It just ran terrible on my computer, really buggy, even worse than mcaffee virusscan 8.0 I know everyones computer system is different, but kav runs great on my system. I've ran norton antivirus 2002 edition. It ran great. Avast free ran good, as does kav. Bitdefender and mcaffe just run horrible on my system.

If Bitdefender runs good on your system, I would say run it. It did quite well at av-comparatives.org :D

8. karll

karll Guest

Well I got rid of alot of security programs and got a new lineup that I will use until I get a really massive pc.

My old setup was

Spysweeper, Mcafee virusscan/firewall plus,

New

F-prot, zonealarm pro, prevx and boclean

Have any other free programs that I can use for added security? I also got spybot and spywareblaster.

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Stay away from IE and OE

10. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

I'm using bitdefender free along with mcafee (v 9.0 now) with no problems.

Also run sygate pf, win patrol, ewido guard (and sometimes tds3 exec prot) active in the tray and all work well together.

XP home w/ sp2, pentium 4 2.66 ghz, 512 mb ram.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.