Will you still be using Firefox with sponsored tiles?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, Feb 15, 2014.

?

Will you still be using Firefox with sponsored tiles?

1. No I refused to use any software with ads

46 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. Yes I will manage to hide the ads

24 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Yes I will enjoy the new tiles

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I hope you're right. Even so, it wouldn't hurt for them to know that they're getting more users because of the choices FireFox is making. An added incentive to not follow suit.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The site appears to originate in Westphalia (Germany). I don't think it's official. Best to check on the SeaMonkey forums mate.

4. Daveski17

Yes, I agree. It could be good news for SeaMonkey, if no one decides to take the money & run. I've been using SM as my default browser for years. I loved Fx back in the day. After #Fx 4 I've not been so sure. At the moment I have a Firefox 3 theme on SeaMonkey: kinda says it all.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yes, it sounded too good to be true. Thanks for checking it out. So you've been using SM for years. What would you say its biggest asset is over FF? I'm trying to see if it will pay me to switch. :)

6. noone_particular

No need for a separate e-mail client, address book, or IRC chat extension. All built in. If your needs aren't elaborate, the webpage composer works well. They've kept what was good in the Mozilla Suite. I appreciate that SeaMonkey has always been stable here, and that they don't change or update just for the sake of changing. They don't have near as much "feature creep" and don't seem concerned with being like Chrome.

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

That's exactly what I have :)

8. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Will the ads start with version 28? :doubt:

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I think Firefox 28 is already in beta testing and the Directory Tiles project still has a ways to go (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=973273). Not sure where the User Personalization project stands, but it sounds like it is still in the experimental phase.

10. Daveski17

I don't know what its biggest asset over Fx is. Although it is an entire suite. I just think it is what Firefox once was. A good open source Gecko-engined browser that is modern enough to be used in everyday browsing, yet still retains an inherent customising ability. It doesn't change just to be fashionable & is as reliable as Fx at least. My only advice is to try it for a while & see how you get on with it.

11. Daveski17

Good choice! :thumb:

12. Daveski17

Exactly! :thumb: :)

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK thanks for the advice. I'll do that. :)

14. Daveski17

Ignore the caveat: "Not available for SeaMonkey 2.24" & download Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3. It will make extensions run more easily. Good luck.

15. noone_particular

The Mozilla Suite was stable before FireFox existed at all. FireFox, previously FireBird, before that Phoenix, was originally intended to a lightweight, no frills browser for those who didn't want the full Mozilla Suite. It was less than 1/4 the size it is now and seriously fast. Since then it's done a complete reversal. Now it tries to be everything to everyone. SeaMonkey has stayed on the same course it started on. The result is a browser suite that has been very stable and consistent over the years.

16. ance

ance formerly: fmon

17. noone_particular

They have released a beta, K-Meleon 74 Beta 2 this year. Haven't looked at it. The previous beta version, 1.6, was based on SeaMonkey 2.0.11, over 3 years old. Their last stable version will be 4 years old in a bit over a week.

18. Daveski17

Many K-Meleon users have moved to SeaMonkey. I still miss K-Meleon. :'(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.