Will wine cause stability problems on linux?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Ive read a lot of people dont like puttig wine on linux.. Is it of personal preferance or should I expect any stability issues. Would I be better off loading windows xp into vmware?
    I have paintshop pro which I really like and I want to use.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Personal preferance; it should not create stability problems (I never encountered any).
    Just pay attention to:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

Panagiotis

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I found Wine fragile, spent ages getting a selection of software working then a few versions later and some of it was partly broke and some non-working.

As I have hardware resources its far less hassle to have a Windows VM about.

Cheers, Nick

4. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I use it just for running Arena a chess engine GUI, thus limited experience. However, no issues so far.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, it really depends on the software you're using. I myself had been running some Windows applications in Virtualbox for several years. Recently I tried Wine (v. 1.6) again - and surprise, surprise: Those applications are now running in Wine faster, more responsive and without graphical glitches - well, simply better than in Virtualbox. Again, it surely depends on the applications you're running. But generally Wine has obviously improved a lot over the years.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well I used to not put WINE on my Linux installs (that all I use BTW) because I did not want to pollute my system. That was a while ago, these days, if WINE is needed I will install it.

Currently, I have no need. I does have one "Windows" program (KeePass) installed; it's a Framework program so Mono is installed so it will run. I use VirtualBox to run the other Windows program I use for doing my taxes as it runs best in it's native environment. I have been toying lately, since I bought my new Samsung Galaxy S4, with installing WINE so I can run Kies. Though it's not really necessary as there are alternatives and of course I already have Windows installed to run in VirtualBox.

As for stability, none with Linux it self.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Why do you use the Windows version? For Linux, both keepassx and keepass2 are available.

I had been running my tax program in Virtualbox, too. Now it's running perfect in Wine. :)

There is Heimdall as an excellent alternative. No need for Kies and Odin.

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I tried both and simply like KeePass running under Mono better.

Not ready to to go with Wine yet, not for just one program. I have Windows in VirtualBox, have lots of memory to spare and it not really and issue. I do have my tax files on my Linux box via Shared Folders. I also have iTunes install for my wife's iPhone, just put Kies on it too. I use Turbo Tax for my taxes.

I may give Wine a shot sometime later.

Thanks for the link, not ready to root my phone yet, it not even a month old yet. There are other alternatives too. AirDroid and Kies Air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.