Will this work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by karpat, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karpat

karpat Registered Member

I'm using the free trial version #9 of Acronis True Image (I already own version :cool:. My question is can I make an image of my master drive to a new drive I have set up as slave and then swap my jumpers around making my slave the master and have my system (windows xp home) boot from the new master? I've tried using Western Digitals Data Liveguard program seeing both drives are Western Digital drives but the new drive would not boot. All the file, programs transfered and the drive looks identical to my present master but like I said it will not boot set up as master. I'm hoping that your product will save me the work of having to reformat my new drive and do a install with my xp home os software.

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello karpat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please read more in this FAQ article.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes.

We recommend you to follow Clone Disk approach.

Please also note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase Acronis True Image 9.0 Upgrade.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. karpat

karpat Registered Member

I think I made a bo bo. I clicked on add a new drive and highlighted my new hdd. It said it needed to reboot so i let it. After it reboot it congratulated me. I then whent to my computer and noticed that my new drive was no longer there. Only my old one. I then went to Acronis software program and clicked on Clone and it showed two C drives, one was my original and the other was my new one. What happened and can I get my computer to reconize my new one that is set up as slave?

4. Acronis Support

Hello karpat,

Please be aware that Add New Disk tool is used to add a new disk only to store data, leaving the system on the old disk.

We recommend you to try the following workaround:

-Unplug your new hard drive;
    -Boot your computer from the old hard drive;
    -Connect your new hard drive once again and run Acronis True Image 9.0;
    -Use Clone Disk tool to clone your old hard drive to the new one.

As I said above, you should unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. karpat

karpat Registered Member

I unplugged the new hdd and tried rebooting but got a boot disk error. I plugged it back in and unplugged the old hdd and rebooted getting a os error. It seems that both hdd's are needed now to boot as if they each had a portion of the software needed to boot. What now.

In your instructions it sounded like you were saying to unplug my new hdd and reboot and once the system was up and running to plug in the new hdd. I thought you were never to plug in (connect) a hdd while the system was running?

6. karpat

karpat Registered Member

Need Help quick please

Please look for the heading "Will this work?" under Acronis True Image Product LIne there are 4 posting to this. If anyone can help me I'm struck.

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Sounds like you have to start over.
    Diconnect the new drive.
    Try the "fixmbr" method on the original drive as posted here many times.
    See if it boots to xp and then try cloning again.

You can use Datalifeguard to do this, but you missed a step on your earlier attempt.
    You must make a boot floppy for it to run in dos and choose make new drive bootable before you copy the drive. Don't reboot first time with 2 drives.
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1151&p_created=1072804900&p_sid=AB-eoe-h&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTA2JnBfcHJvZHM9OTEsMCZwX2NhdHM9MTIzJnBfcHY9MS45MTsyLnUwJnBfY3Y9MS4xMjM7Mi51MCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    It does work well.

If you want to use Ti,
    Boot with the Ti boot disk and follow the clone proceedure. Don't let it reboot with both drives the first time.
    It works well too.

8. karpat

karpat Registered Member

I'm wondering if there is an easier way around the problem. I did not mention to you that my external HD which has a complete image of my old drive on it was not turned on when I tried to clone my c drive (old drive) 80 gig WD to my new WD 250 gig. So if I turned on my external backup hd and clicked restore would that restore my old c drive? Both my external and my c drive are identical 80 gig WD drives. Do I need to check the intregity of my backup first, if so how do I do that. I also have a bootable floppy for Acronis I made on the 14th of Jan. Please bear in mind that i'm only fair in this tech stuff so you will need to explain the steps in layman's terms, thanks.

9. noonie

noonie Registered Member

1 First, unplug your 250gig internal wd slave drive.
    2 Connect your 80gig ext drive and power it up.
    3 Boot with Ti cd boot disk and see if it sees your master 80gig internal and your 80 gig external.
    4 Don't bother verifying your image, at this stage it will either work or not.
    5 If it does see both drives, start a restore to the 80gig internal, following the screens precisely.
    6 Unplug the external before you reboot into windows.
    7 Reconnect your 250gig as slave internal and reformat with no os. You can change drive letters thru windows disk management.

Other considerations:
    Did you get your computer to stop crashing?
    If you used Datalifeguard to test your main 80gig drive and it passed then your drive is fine and the winxp installation is bad. You can then try and track down the problems, but in some cases a fresh install is faster. Keep in mind if you restore a crashing image it will still crash. Save all your data by drag and drop to another drive before you do that.
    Depending on your needs I would use your present 80gig as your boot os and program drive. Make a D partition on it for temp files. That way it is easy for you to clone and/or image it for backups. Keep your 250gig for backups and data.
    Post back if you encounter any problems.

10. karpat

karpat Registered Member

1. I unplugged my 250gog internal.
    2. I turned on my external 80 gig
    3. I booted from the Ti boot disk this is what the Acronis screen showed.

Under the Restore icon A,C,D (cd drive),E (cd drive). Note no G drive which is the external backup drive with the Acronis on it.

Under Create Image the C drive only.

Under Disk Clone this message. "Unable to continue, you have only one drive. This program is designed to work with two or more drives.

I would like to be able to acdess the top of the Acronis page buttons or links what ever they are called. The ones that are marked as follows, Operations, Biew, Toos, Help and also the X for closing the program. How do I navigate without the mouse, I know to use the up,down,left,right arrows plus the esc and enter keys but that is all I can seem to get to work. The only way I have knowledge of to shut the system down or excape from a program or window is to go to the PC case and shut it down with the button.

Seeing what the Acronis sees what do you want me to do next?

Thanks
    Karpat

11. noonie

noonie Registered Member

First you want to restore your internal 80gig boot drive with the image saved on your 80 ig external.

If you cannot use Ti8 or Ti9 boot cd (with any of the workarounds) to access the the 80gig external, then you will have to temporarily install the 80gi internally on the system buss to access it and restore your boot 80gig hdrive.

To access the menus with the keyboard. historically you use the ALT+ first letter in the menu title key and then the tab key. I have not tried this with Ti. Alternatively, try a ps2 mouse instead of usb.

It won't hurt anything to power off the box if you need to, just don't make it a habit in windows. (ALT-CTL-DEL)

12. karpat

karpat Registered Member

My trial period for TI9 has expired, how do I get my TI8 back? When I downloaded the trial TI it most of over road my old version because even my short cut Icon for Ti8 disappeared.

The 80 backup external drive is not showing up. Is there some way to look at what is on there?

why will my system only boot if I have both hdds hooked up. The old as Master and the New as Slave?

I did not pay close enough attention to your first instructions when I Cloned my old to my new and I rebooted with both plugged in. Now only my C drive shows up when I click My Computer.

I ran fixmbr and it did not seem to fix anything.

Help

13. Acronis Support

Hello karpat,

That is because you have not unplugged one of the hard drives prior to booting into Windows for the first time. Most likely Windows has messed up the drive letters and now needs some data on the second hard drive in order to boot properly.

Please try the following workaround in order to fix the problem:

- Turn off the computer and unplug the second hard drive;

- Boot the computer with only one hard drive connected from Windows XP Installation CD and use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file (see respective Microsoft Knowledge Base Article);

- Issue the "fixmbr" command then;

- Try to boot into Windows with only hard drive connected.

If that does not help then please connect the second hard drive, boot into Windows and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also make a screen shot of Windows Disk Management by following Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

Please keep all of your hard drives connected (including external one) while collecting the above requested information.

Please also let us know if you receive any error messages when trying to boot into Windows with only one hard drive connected. If yes, then provide us with the exact text of these error messages.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

14. karpat

karpat Registered Member

I can't send two jpg attachments at once so I"m going to have to repond twice to the same thread.
    I've followed the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article and took a screenshot of both the boot.ini utility and what the bootcfg now looks like before any editing. I've saved a copy of the original.

When I entered the utilitiy and followed the instructions on what to type in please read what happened in the utility and if you can tell me why it is getting that responce great. Also what changes do I want to make in this utility, exactly what do I type in, I'm using xp home.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  15. karpat

karpat Registered Member

Here is my second screenshot. I could not attach it to the last post for some reason.

Thanks again.
    Karpat

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  16. karpat

karpat Registered Member

I've contacted Acronis Support and given them all the info you suggested. The case number is 479965. In the mean time I'm wondering if you know the answer to one of my problems. I followed Microsoft support #289022 Method 2 and entered under Enter Load Identifier Windows XP Home Edition. If you read that Method you will note after the heading Enter OS Load options: it states After yoiu perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows Xp to start normally. After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry. How do I do that? Will that get rid of the boot menu now asking me every time it boots to chose which OS I which to use to boot in. (The two options offered are both Windows XP Home Edition.)

Thanks

17. Global Force

Global Force Guest

karpat,

If you've done the method two exercise from M$, let us see a fresh boot.ini file. Pass on the screenshot deal this time and give it to us as follow's. Go into Computer properties by rt clking My Computer, goto the Advanced tab, select Startup and Recovery setting's. In the window that open's clk Edit under System Startup (your boot.ini open's in notepad). Now rt clk - Select All - Copy - then Paste your reply here in the forum. Carefully close your boot file exiting all window's.

Have a look at this page, but please refrain from doing anything questionable without first seeking proper guidance.

GF

18. karpat

karpat Registered Member

The screen shot that is shown is the one that now comes up during every boot. How do I get rid of it? I looked at the link and offers some great insight, thanks. I've not done any new stuff with the computer so any mess ups are my old ones. I will wait to hear back from you.

Karpat

19. karpat

karpat Registered Member

GF,

I've done the mmethod two exercise from M$ so I will attach a screenshot. Thanks

Karpat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.