Will there be version 5 soon for year 2010 ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ESS_Lover, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Registered Member

Last time I checked, you're not the boss of me. And for someone that's not even an ESET representative, you're being a ~Removed~

I know what you mean, but here we are talking about KIS and ESS, but we may as well talk about A and B, it's the same thing. I'm not happy with A, then I go to B, you're not happy with B than you go to A. Everyone's computer is different, everyone's experience is different. And I agree with you about going back and forth, I was once a Kaspersky user some years ago, but then I heard about NOD32 and never changed back. Until now, well, actually, I haven't changed yet (and might not even change, but it doesn't really matter).

Nope, I've already formatted and installed ESS many times, that's not the issue. I even installed ESS on a complete different machine and the same thing happens.

Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean the software is perfect. But hey, I'm not saying it's horrible either.

Maybe, but I just want to note here that I didn't said I was moving to kaspersky just to create a flame war because kaspersky is probably the most direct competitor to ESET. I only said that because if I happen to move way from ESET, chances are I go back to Kaspersky. All the web tests report these 2 as 2 of the best, so... I didn't intend to just troll.

And like I said above, everyone's computer, experience, programs installed, usage, etc, is different. We can't even consider such a thing. That's why there are beta versions and beta testers, to test software in the most possible different environments and configurations.

Besides, just take a look in the forums, they are filled with people with issues. Some are easily fixed, some are not...

I honestly didn't understand what you meant...

I try not to because I agree with you. I'm a software developer and things can go wrong in ways I could never imagine. I must confess I was bit ~Removed~ of the day I wrote the rant above so that might not have come as it should. What annoys me the most isn't the problems themselves, as a software developer I understand that. What I don't understand is software companies with thousands of thousands of clients through the world (and this doesn't go just to ESET) which don't put out updates as often as they should, which don't give proper support to their users.

I mean, I'm not talking about just me and my problems. Just read this forum, there's too many topics out there that deserve some kind of input from ESET. And most of the times they input something, they are always very succinct and never explain much. All I'm saying is that a little more feedback would be appreciated and make every user happier.

I know what I'm talking about because I've already had countless experiences with software companies support teams and some of them are very good in helping the user out, figuring out the problem, trying to work around a fix or so, but some others, they seem to just don't care. That's the felling I have from ESET and once again, I'm talking about everything I read on this forum, and I barely post here...

Well, I use Windows since a few years back, I use countless applications that put an icon on system tray and I never EVER had a single issue with any of them. And if I did, the issue was probably fixed in upcoming versions. I'm not saying the issue IS REALLY on ESET software but a fact is a fact and what's been a fact for me is that I never saw this issue in another application and when I installed NOD32 v3, I saw this issue FOR THE FIRST TIME and then I saw it again when I updated to v4. What does that tell you? That there's a good change the issue is on ESET, it might not be, but hey, it doesn't happen in any other application for me.

And maybe, just maybe, your icon issue and my icon issue, are completely unrelated.

I wouldn't put my bet on the problem being caused by the OS, maybe some combination of software on my machines since this doesn't happen with any other application, or maybe some specific configuration I do on every machine, I don't know, it's just a guess and I have no way to find it out. Either way, no other tray application as any conflict whatsoever, maybe ESS is doing something different than all other apps do, which is causing the issue, I don't know, I have no idea.

But this is exactly what I'm talking about... I have this issue and I have no one to help me figure it out why. Isn't there some way to turn some kind of debugging on? Maybe create a log file of everything that happens on ESS, maybe that way we could see what happens when I click the tray icon and the menu doesn't show. I don't know, there's just isn't anyone to help me figure it out why this happen. This is some proprietary software, I just can't do it myself cause I would if I could.

Not trying to be ~Removed~ or being harsh with you guys, I'm just making a point here. ESS/NOD32 is still my favorite security software.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i think it's like driver problems, everything works different on different systems, people install them differently and run different programs with them. i havnt found an antivirus without some 'quirks' i tired one of esets competitors and was greeted with an update bug, pretty much every game on pc was classified as riskware performance was shocking.
    most have trials so stick with what works with your set up and dont whinge about it, nobody is forced to buy software last time i looked.

3. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Nazgulled,
    This is August 2009 and you are complaining because there is not a 2010 version released.

Get a grip and check your V4 & Windows is setup correctly. If there is a bug in V4 MOST if not all users will have that problem, if its not a bug then if you have a problem it is your setup at fault. Another program may interfere with another program.

I'll elaborate on my setting up.
    I install Windows with my modem OFF so that nothing can creep into my system, I set up Windows then I install my "security" software, then my hardware.
    Then I go online and update my "Security" software, next I activate windows.

As posted I do not have a problem at all.

So, late last year I uninstalled NOD32 to try another AV program. After trying it NOD proved to be best so unistalled the other program then I re-installed NOD32. It would not work as it should, I checked and re-checked all settings, I checked that all of the other AV was removed. I just could not get NOD to work.

I was fedup with it and I un-installed Windows, here is another point, I do not re-install Windows untill I have wiped the C: partition thus removing all bits from the uninstallation.
    I set it up as above and all worked perfectly.

I'll be getting X64 RTM and using that, I did install W7 x64 7100 on another hard drive with not a problem at all, well just one, Window Washer will not work in x64. In this case it is the program at fault because it all the users have that same problem with it, that is, its not the computers.

4. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Registered Member

No I'm not! I'm not the one who created this topic and I'm not the one who's been asking about v5 or a 2010 release.

I couldn't care less about that. I care about bugs being fixed in the next release be it part of v4 or v5, I don't care which, as long as they are fixed.

Try to read before making false accusations.

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

And what does that have to do with anything volvic?! ~Edited: rmuffler~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  6. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Well I'm with Nazgulled on this one and I'm afraid your false logic fails your argument - The Nodder.

Version 3 Eset Products (and earlier) worked fine for me. Version 4 does not. If I have changed nothing on my system except to uninstall 3 and install 4, then if it doesn't work it follows that it's the changed code in the Eset product version 4 that is at fault does it not?

Surely the fact that I can then uninstall ver 4, reinstall ver 3 and have it working fine is further proof of the point.

I also disagree with the suggested "if all get [the problem] it's a bug but otherwise its your setup at fault" view as illogic. I'd suggest that if sufficient users suffer the same problem, then its an issue for the developers as to whether they see it as economically viable to recode to fix the issue. They decide what 'sufficient' means and it's a business decision.

The other point that Nazgulled raises and which seems to have been lost is the update cycle. In the face of clearly demonstrated issues such as on this forum the rate at which code changes make it into updates does not seem either timely nor adequate.

I want a stable efficient product that I can use in ver 4 or 5 and as I read it that's all Nazgulled wants too. I've long given up on expecting that this version will offer that and live in hope that the next version will.

If your not happy with it Nazgulled move on - you paid for your licence and owe Eset nothing.

Why waste your time here in honestly expressing your view when it generates little productive discussion and nothing but inflamed vitriol from the fanboys.

7. quding

quding Registered Member

As a Chinese fan of ESET,i'm looking forwared to seeing ESS/EAV5 too.

I wish i will see a HIPS(behavior blocker) added in it and more firewall improvement.

8. Martial

Martial Registered Member

Still like a lot ESS but version 3
    Version 4 (two time installed and uninstalled) is too buggy with internet browser(Firefox 3,5 and IE8 ) :froozen screen ,slow browser nothing of this with version 3 on the same system (Vista 64 bits)

9. bradtech

bradtech Guest

How about listing some of the issues you have. KAV client is not perfect either trust me.

10. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

No kidding. Grass always seems greener on the other side doesn't it?

Before I bought ESS, I tried KAV. When doing a scan, my box was useless. Quad processor with 8GB of RAM and it was bogged right down during a scan. With ESS, I can play Left4Dead, have an email client and a bittorrent client downloading/uploading in the background during a scan and not even know its there doing it's thing in the background.

11. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I ran kaspersky avidly back around 2003-2004.. It was great, then I tried their new product, and it was terrible.. I quit recommending Kaspersky to people as a 2nd choice aside from NOD32.. Sadly the guys years ago who had the slimest, and leanest clients are now becoming the bloatware mongers that ran us away from Norton, and Mcafee.. Now Symantec, and Mcafee are trimming down/improving detection rates... McAfee w Artemis has nice detection rates, but I have not tested the newest client, last one I tested was terrible.. Norton 2009 was very lean, but I'm not touching their enterprise solutions (end point). Plus every single threat NOD32 has missed I have never seen Symantec catch when I upload to Virus Total.. Same goes for Kaspersky.

Microsoft/PrevX/Mcafee w Artemis

All seem to be doing good on detection rates.. If I were going to do anything different I would run my browser in a sandbox, and add prevX 3.0 to NOD32..

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Folks, let's do recall this is the Eset Support Forums and while a little slight comment of other AV products is understandable, We are approaching the line where it would be best to take any further off topic to a forum other than Eset Support.

Thanks

13. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

As stated before I would love to see a new version too.

Added HIPS , and also the start up scan is rather slow when starting up my PC. V4 seems the heaviest till now of all ESET products? Though it's still extremly light.

14. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.