Will there be more updates to TI9 Home?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tachyon42, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There certainly are coding bugs in TI9 b3677 such as requesting a validate within the backup wizard when writing to DVDs which should be fixed.

However, my concern is the systemic problem of the Linux recovery environment which seems to fall on its face when new hardware is introduced. This problem is not going to go away and it is not a bug in the normal sense of the word but an outright deficiency.

I don't have any reason to migrate to TI10 since I always stick to basic full images and make no use of the various frills and features. My life as a system manager years ago made me realize that the hard way is usually the easy way and if you get clever with shortcuts the first thing you will suspect if something doesn't work later is the shortcut and you will spend time redoing the task.

I am unlikely to move to TI10 unless I am forced to buy new HW but if Vista has a simple reliable basic imaging program it will likely meet my requirements. I also will not be going to Vista unless I buy a new machine or if it is so wonderful then I will upgrade after SP1 is released. I also don't consider a flashy GUI any reason to upgrade.

Unfortunately, my absolute cardinal rule is, "Never say never", but these are my current thoughts.

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I really don't see how Acronis is "Vista compatible" ...because it's not even out yet! There are NO official releases of Vista yet....just Beta versions. :rolleyes:

Seek, you won't be the only one sticking with v3677. I'm there with ya, bud.

3. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Continuing Menorcaman's list of known hardware-independent bugs that are central to the normal functioning of ATI 9.3677, is this one.
    The ATI Log does not show any information about a disk/partition Image just validated. (It does on Files & Folders Archive Validation).
    Even though Alexey clearly expected it to when he wrote:

< Am I missing something??.? - ATI Log missing information on Image Validation >

When ATI fails to provide information essential to the normal functioning of this program, or when operations performed in ATI are reported as successfully completed, and are not, then the program needs to be fixed.

We all make mistakes. It's what we do with them that counts. Creating and releasing new versions of software is fine. Leaving existing versions in a disabled condition is not.

Acronis: if the most cost effective way to repair known central bugs and issues in the current Program is to build a new version, then the new version should be offered to all existing customers at no charge. Windows SP2 was released at no charge.

At a time when Windows Vista will soon be rolling out an Operating System with onboard Imaging and File level Backup, I think Acronis risks losing its dedicated customer base by withdrawing support for their current programs, and by failing to correct known issues and bugs.

I purchased ATI, in May, 2006, to do what it is designed to do. And, I will not upgrade to a new version until, and unless, Acronis makes good on its promise to deliver a fully functioning current version.

Unless this occurs, I will also join Menorcaman, Xpilot, Allen L and Foghorne and not continue to actively support this valuable program or this excellent forum.

Regards

Christopher

Acronis: It's not too late to do the right thing.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I'm with you guys. Definitely.

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Count me in as well. I'm not about to shell out another $30 and continue to provide my time for free.

Do I hear a “frequent poster” discount ??

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I am with you also.:cool:

7. seekforever

Although I didn't explicitly state it in my previous post my non-movement to TI10 would preclude my "words of wisdom":D

Even without the TI10 issue, I have come to the conclusion I have spent too much time on this forum re-typing the same advice. It is somewhat addictive trying to help out others and it certainly is a good cause. However, I have other things to do that are good causes as well.

8. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I totally agree with this. Every day...someone new posted they had just purchased v9.0. And then, posted threads about having problems with it. Especially, the "DVD" burn issue. I really feel Acronis should've solved this particular problem instead of leaving people "Hanging" with it. This issue should've been solved immediately. I'm curious if this DVD problem is really solved, or not ...with v10.:doubt:

I get the same feeling.

9. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Looks like I stirred up a real hornet's nest with this thread.
    I see that the English version of TI 10 Home has just been released, for a list of new features see:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    I'm disappointed that Acronis has obviously spent considerable resources over the last few months adding various new features which I would mostly regard as 'bells and whistles' and of minor importance relative to other issues raised in this forum.
    The obvious exception is support for VISTA.
    I would have thought the time could have been better spent in tackling the list of reported problems which are outstanding in version 9.
    It's a real shame that TrueImage is becoming bug-infested bloatware rather than achieving it's potential by addressing the many important issues raised by the existing user base.
    I understand the need for revenue to continue product development and the desire to 'out-feature' the competition.
    What I don't understand is why some of the glaring issues with TI9 have not been fixed in the last few months.
    I'm sure that if they had been then the customer base would be much happier and would have welcomed a version 10 which just provided VISTA support.
    At this time I'm disappointed and certainly don't 'compute with confidence'.
    As for the future, I guess I'll hang around this forum hoping to see a less error prone bug ridden product evolve before I consider investing any more money in another upgrade.

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

If vesion 10 is little more than a bunch of bug fixes for problems found in version 9, that's not very nice.

11. Dennis_M

Dennis_M Registered Member

I just bought TI 9 in September, and I've been sorting it out over the past month.

Since this is my first post, I want to thank the many knowledgeable and patient posters on this board who have been so generous with their time in helping us noobs. I think I've got it mostly figured out, but man, this software is like a minefield. It's always a case of, "Am I stupid, or is this feature not working?"

I love the interface, and I love what the product is trying to do. But there are too many things that don't work as promised. I have Bart PE, and I can work around the issues that I've discovered so far (I enjoy tweaking things). But the casual computer user -- the home office, small business, sales rep -- just wants it to work. In good conscience, I could not recommend TI 9 to a casual user.

Thanks again to the helpful people on this board who helped me through the hair pulling phase.

12. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

If you bought TI9 Home in the 30 days prior to the release of TI10 Home then you may be entitled to a free upgrade to TI10.
    Check with Acronis Support (provide them details such as copy of invoice and license number).
    For details of Acronis policy at version 9 release: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=612437&postcount=5

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

But will he want TI 10 if it turns out to be even buggier than TI 9, I would finish TI 9 first before I move on to TI. I would Never say never, in leaveing the board, but in sprit it is the right thing.

14. seekforever

Unfortunately that is also the way I feel. I personally have had very good luck with TI9 but if I recommended it to somebody who wasn't a bit of a techie, I would have to tell them to give me a call to ensure it was working properly. I used to recommend DI2002 much less concern.

I still think that using an imaging program for non-technical people is a bit of a stretch. Most of them don't know what a partition is and don't even know how to use Windows explorer to examine files. This shouldn't be a huge shock because the computer, like your car exists to do a job and for most people knowing how to drive it (and their PC) is all they need to know.

It boils down to a question I asked a couple of months ago: "What is the target audience for TI?".

15. como

como Registered Member

I am surprised that Acronis support have not replied in this or any other thread concerning the new version 10, partially as a number of the regular unpaid support posters have intimated that they will not continue unless a new build of version 9 is released. At first I thought they may be receiving instructions on the new bugs in version 10 that have been posted, but it appears they are still monitoring this forum see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=147448

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

One off-topic post removed.

17. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

The main question I've been asking, though, as I've been learning to drive this ATI enhanced car, is, what happens when all my digital photographs and other precious data are tucked "safely" in the ATI trunk, and, the car develops engine or drive troubles? Turns out, in a great many cases, you can't even open the trunk. The archive is corrupt. So, while the tin says that with ATI one can protect everything digital on any type of media, the truth is far from that. Ext USB? DVD? SATA2? Are these really within ATIs core competency?

Hence, I no longer entrust ATI to safeguard my original non-replaceable data. This program has simply proven to be too unreliable, too often, in my admittedly less than expert hands.

I will continue to use this program, in which I have invested a considerable amount of time, to Image my system & program drives. As a convenience. Imaging is after all, as most of the expert users like Seekforever say, what ATI does best. Many of the most active posters in this forum only use ATI to make full drive/partition images, to internal hard drives. Many of the newer features are just not proven enough to rely upon.

If Acronis wants to keep me as a customer in the future, they will need to update TI Home version 9 to an Imaging program that does what it says it will do, that reports errors accurately, and provide ongoing support so that when at least hardware-independent issues or bugs are reported, or known, they are fixed ASAP. Imaging should be as failsafe as possible. Period. Rolling out new features may be advantageous to some, and part of making a profit. But, if the core reliability of ATI is compromised by any new feature, then it should be removed, or made fully optional, until that feature is proven, solid, and fully field tested.

While I regret losing the friendly interaction and give and take with the members of this forum, I'm choosing at this point to opt out. I believe that my ongoing participation in this forum may encourage others to see this program as a reliable vehicle, therefore I am ceasing to actively post in this forum. If Acronis decides to provide a fully functional updated build of True Image Home Version 9, I will reconsider.

Thanks to all of you for the support and friendship you have freely given. It's been a pleasure.

Regards,

Christopher

18. seekforever

The people that should be replying to this post are the developers and the management of TI who are responsible for what looks like another premature release of TI and also to answer the bug concerns remaining in TI9.

I would be willing to bet that the real support people are about as happy as many of us about the situation.

19. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Exactly! Where are they? Wish Detox could answer these issues, at least he is here reading! :)

20. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

Hello together,

what i read here is sacry.

As a admin from a high availability network, i have the job to implement a working desaster recovery strategy (DRS).

At the moment our IT department evaluate the ATI Server Enterpriese 9.1 products.

In the case of a desaster, each second of server downtime burns money and perhaps my job.

So it is inalienable, that we can trust in the ATI products.

Here my summary during the evaluation period:

1.) A big drawback is the hardware support in the linux based rescue media.

2.) The faulty implementation of the universal restore option in the winpe/bartpe enviromente. UR works only under special conditions.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150124
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141238

3.) The Acronis Support provides in the most cases no quick fix.

But i think also, that ati is one of the best disk imaging products that you can buy at the moment.

For my self, i have 10 days before the evaluation period ends.

Than i have to come to a decision.

Unimatrix

21. seekforever

I have no knowledge of using UR so I can't comment on #2 but I agree totally with your comments on the Linux environment.

On #3, the support issue my comment is what I have said before in this forum. If you are using TI (or any other product) and it is critical for your operation then you want to ensure that you have the support aspects nailed down and included in the purchase contract. If it means paying extra for guaranteed support in a required timeframe then so be it. It is foolhardy to run a mission critical component relying on forums and non-guaranteed response times.

If your job depends on it then you'd make sure you get it.

22. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

Evaulation period does not mean, download the ati products from www.acronis.de. It means that we have a contract for evaluation. The responsible sales manager promise us a tecnical support during the evaluation period, but the response from the support never happens. It´s the same as mentioned in this tread. We have over 30 critical servers in our local department, worldwide over 80 servers. We dont speak about the workstations and laptops, think about 500, and at this point from our 200 productive systems that we sell p.a.

For this reason, i try to use this forum to solve the problems during the evaulation period. Is that the wrong way ??

Unimatrix

23. mustang

mustang Developer

Hello Unimatrix,

I agree with all three of your points.

As the supplier of the plugins with UR enabled, I'd like to make some comments. The reason the plugins don't work properly with UR under BartPE/WinPE has nothing to do with the plugins or BartPE/WinPE. It has to do with the program itself. As UR matured, Acronis made many additions and improvements. These were done in the Linux version of the program only. The Windows version seems to have been left behind. A plugin can only make the program perform as written (at best). Until Acronis rewrites the Windows version, this problem will continue. I think you understand this issue. I just wanted to make my point again for the benefit of all.

Unfortunately, history tells us it is very unlikely we will ever see an update to TI9. I, like many others, am very unhappy about this. If your buying decision involves me releasing TI10 plugins, so you can use UR, don't count on it. The premature release of a buggy TI10 with so many unresolved problems with TI9 has put me a very bad mood.

24. seekforever

If you aren't getting the promised support during the trial period when they are trying to sell you something why would you think you will get it when they have your money? This would be a strong warning signal to me.

I don't blame you for using the forum but if you were promised support by the sales manager why aren't you getting it? Tell the sales manager that you aren't getting the promised support and see if that corrects the situation. If it doesn't run and look elsewhere.

Think about this, when you have a serous problem trying to restore a server and your boss asks you why isn't it working and the best you can do is say you have posted on a user forum where somebody might answer consider how your boss will view that approach.

My experience is that vendors will try and convince you how wonderful they are when trying to sell but unless you have something in the contract on guaranteed support services you could have a problem after the deal is done.

25. hiptech

hiptech Registered Member

Hey guys, obviously just read everything up to here and couldn't agree more!

I'm just wrapping up another new build and have been fighting with the image backup to DVD... again and again

"ED000700004: Failed to write data to the archive file. A possible reason might be poor media quality."

Like most of you, if this is the best Acronis can do maybe it's time to find a more reliable solution!?

To add insult to injury, in order to stay legit, I just downloaded my 3rd copy since April, the last one being 3 days ago. So I completely understand how you all must feel - only now I feel that way X3. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.