Will there be a new version of NOD32 for Exchange soon?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by EnGenie, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

When NOD32 3.0 Business Edition is released, will there be a new version of NOD32 for Exchange (XMON) too, or will the existing version of XMON (2.71.9) work with Business Edition?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A new version of XMON is scheduled for next year.

3. spm

spm Registered Member

So we should keep EAV Business well away from an Exchange server in the meantime?

In that case, what do we do for Small Business Servers, and the networks they manage? If we install EAV Business on an SBS, Exchange will no longer be protected. If we don't install EAV Business on an SBS - and keep NOD32 2.7 - then EAV/ESS Business can't be installed on the clients, as they can't use a v3 mirror. Nice.

I have stayed away from the knee-jerk reactions to v3 that are prevalent on this forum, but now I feel - as a reseller and long term fan of of NOD32 - I have to contribute. This whole v3 release procedure and schedule has been very badly implemented by Eset, and it must end up doing serious harm to your bottom line. Version 3.0 has clearly been released ahead of being ready.

Apart from the technical issues in ESS/EAV v3 - which I will presume will eventually be resolved - there are the ramifications of the products moving from IMON's approach to the new local proxy-based scheme. While you may argue, Marcos, that this is 'standard practice', the consequences are severe for your products' compatibility with other products (most notably firewalls), and this is being actively debated on this forum. At the very least, you really should have produced a written guide - ahead of release - to educate your customers and assist them with coping with the consequences. It is a failure of Eset's marketing function that this did not, and still has not, happened.

All along, Eset have promised that the business versions of your products will be available today, 26th November. And you have pushed your distributors and resellers to promote your products in advance - many of us have responded positively to this. What you omitted to say, however, was that only some of your business products would be ready. Only now do you admit that there will be no replacement for XMON until 'sometime next year'. Wow. The words 'marketing' and 'incompetence' come readily to mind.

What do you suggest we, as resellers, now tell our business clients? That we have been deceived by Eset? That we were wrong to promote Eset's new products? Trust is paramount in the supply chain. What do you have to say for yourselves?

4. EnGenie

So, until next year, can we use the existing XMON with NOD32 Business Edition?

If not, and we have to leave the Exchange Server running 2.7, can it get its updates from a NOD32 Business Edition mirror elsewhere on the LAN, or is that mirror not backwards compatible with 2.7 clients?

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Interested in a reply from here....lets think of the many Microsoft Small Business Server setups out there. SBS includes Exchange. It "appears" we should not install 3.0 on the server...since it's running Exchange server..hence XMON...and XMON ..from what I gather here so far, is not compatible with 3.0, needs the older 2.7.

But we are then stuck not having 3.0 workstations pull from the 2.7 server.

So they inefficiently must pound the offices internet connection all getting updates from the Eset public servers, instead of the efficient LAN update which only hits the internet connection once per update to populate the mirror. Not a good concept for a large network.

6. EnGenie

You are correct in your assumptions.

Fortunately there is a workaround. ;)

NOD32 3.0 Home Edition will allow you to create a v3.0 compatible mirror on the LAN, provided that you have a license file (nod32.lic) from either a previous purchase of NOD32 2.7 Enterprise Edition or NOD32 3.0 Business Edition.

Install NOD32 3.0 Home Edition (or Business Edition) on one of the workstations on your LAN.

Go to the licenses page in the advanced setup tree and add the license from your nod32.lic file.

The next time that you open the advanced setup tree go to the "Update" node and press the "Advance update setup" button.
    You should see a mirror tab where you can create a mirror.
    :)

7. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Wow. I'm stunned. That's not a workaround for the XMON issue.

I just found out the hard way. I installed V3.0 on SBS 2003 assuming XMON was either included or would continue working. I added the XMON license file and then discovered I had to add the Enterprise license file to create the mirror. I was surprised the XMON module wasn't displayed anywhere but was going to create the mirror and then investigate XMON.

Now, however, I can't add the Enterprise license file because the GUI crashes. Every time I click on the "Enter Entire Advanced Setup Tree" the GUI crashes, complete 100% reproducible freeze. Logging out or killing the GUI fixes the issue and everything works fine again, even toggling Standard and Advanced mode but click that link to open the advanced tree and its all over again. A reboot does not rectify this issue.

While investigating that issue, I discovered this thread. Jeez. There I was saying how cool V3.0 was. This XMON issue is a show stopper for me.

Why have V3.0 on the clients and V2.7 on the Server with a mirror that can't be supported by the Server? This is getting silly.

8. spm

spm Registered Member

I have to say that expecting version 3.0 to co-exist with XMON was somewhat hopeful. XMON requires the infrastructure of an installed NOD32 v2.7, so there are bound to be problems. You must keep v3 away from any Exchange server.

That said, while i haven't tried it (I won't, not on our own server or any of our clients', until and if Eset ever get their act together), isn't the new Remote Administrator (ERA) capable of creating a mirror itself, i.e., without the need for a co-located EAV 3.0? If so, you could leave NOD32 v2.7 + XMON in place and install the ERA with its mirror - obviously, you will need a v3 business licence to be able to do this. Then try pushing out EAV3 to a workstation and see if it can update from the mirror? If anyone has an available test server to try this out, I'd be glad to hear the results.

9. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

I have tried installing EAV 3 on my SBS 2003 installation, over the top of XMON 2.7 and the results were horrible. For starters the install went fine and reboot was required. Windows rebooted and I logged back in to the console. However no more than 5 minutes into the session and the entire server grounded to a halt, which in the end resulted in doing a forceful reboot (my last option).

Anyway, I removed EAV 3 and reinstalled XMON 2.7, which meant I had to do it from scratch again and reconfigure everything including the mirror. The server is now working fine again.

If you point a NOD32 2.7 (including XMON 2.7) at the new mirror created by RA Server 2.0, NOD32 will not update and will hang on "update.ver (4kb)" instead. The only way to use NOD32 2.7 it to point it at your existing mirror which isn't associated with RA Server 2.0. So much for backward compatibility.

So yeah, XMON 3, which has been dubbed "ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange", will be released in Q1/Q2 2008 according to one of my senior contacts at ESET, which will feature Anti Virus and Anti Spam support for Exchange Server.

So the bottom line is do not install EAV 3 on to your SBS 2003 installation. It doesn't work and proves to make your server very unstable. This occurs with version 3.0.566.0.

10. EnGenie

I agree with you that it is not a satisfactory workaround.
    The lack of backwards compatibility of a v3 mirror with 2.7 clients sucks.

If you try to instal NOD32 Home Edition on a server, it fails straight away with a message telling you that this is not possible and you need NOD32 Business Edition.
    If you had an existing 2.7 installation on the server it will still work because installation has been stopped before any files have been copied or deleted.

The installation of NOD32 Business Edition SHOULD detect whether Exchange Server is installed and refuse to install giving you an informative error message before any damage to the previous 2.7 installation (with XMON) is done.
    Unfortunately it doesn't detect Exchange and allows you to screw up your previously working 2.7 installation.
    This is unacceptable.

In this post Marcos implies that it is possible to install ERA on a 2.7 server (e.g. your SBS) and create a mirror to update v3 clients. Has anyone tried this?

11. YeOldeStonecat

Yeah....I mean, really....common sense that larger business networks will have a mixture of versions as "upgrades" occur.

I think I'll try the 3.0 and 2.7 co-existing on SBS on my home server this weekend...not about to try it on a clients production server.

12. mickhardy

"Sorry I'm late for dinner. I tried upgrading our antivirus at lunchtime and it all went pear shaped. I had to stay behind and install the old version again."
    "What went wrong?"
    "The new version doesn't support Exchange."
    "What's Exchange?"
    "The bit that scans emails."
    "That's a bit dumb isn't it..."

Not sure if she was referring to me or Eset but I really think V3.0 should detect Exchange and warn the user so no-one else is late for dinner.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  13. YeOldeStonecat

Having lunch with the Eset North Eastern US rep tomorrow...gonna voice a few feelings about this 3.0 rollout.

14. mickhardy

I just implemented this scenario on our SBS2003 Server without any issues. I did it all live and no reboots were required for either ERA Console or ERA Server. I now have about 50% of workstations installed and updating from a V3.0 mirror controlled by ERA 2.0 and the rest still updating from the 2.7 Mirror controlled by the 2.7 Nod32 installation on the same server.

Everything is OK and the users I pushed over lunch haven't had any issues.

Can't believe I survived so long without using ERA. What a cool tool.

15. EnGenie

Any update on when XMON for NOD32 3.0 will be available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.