Will the Eset be going to compensate for his users?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nodyforever, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

At least they admit the mistakes but Eset was excused it was even unnecessary of uttering such words if of this more heard to his users ..... we warn that the RC1 was not ready to be still a stable version, now to what to suffer with the pains of the unnecessary haste.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have Version 3 Build 560 running on 3 PCs and other than a few minor GUI issues, it's running fine for me. But I don't use download managers, I don't run any P2P, and so on. My PCs are pretty basic...

3. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

But who were ESET racing against? Why did they rush? I seriously hope ESET decides to extend the license time by the amount of time it takes them to release a worthy final release.

4. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

About the extend the license time,

Nobody told anybody to upgrade. It wood be a another story if ESET has said to upgrade, or by pushing a upgrade. So I think that's a dead end.

edit: "worthy final release"

That's another point, you make think not, like I do, but what do they think

5. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Questions difficult to answer and that should have someone logical for us me them as you were told by you to us to hope for an official word of the Mr Ayreh Goretsky

Even because the competition does not sleep to be of use of this moment of crisis of the Eset.

Here in Portugal for example the prices of the EAV and of the ESS are lower than those of the KAV and KIS.

It is the only good point at this moment.

They all have to understand what we criticize to improve and not to degrade the image of the Eset we want that the Eset is always that enterprise what we were always got used to deal, quick, agile and honest before his consumers.

The Eset wants to keep on talking of as we have been speaking in what no contestant manages to arrive where her that it arrived.

Simply that that we want honesty and sincerity to top of everything for part of the Eset. Do all we know that the Eset is able to do better from what she is doing, they know because? Because the Eset already proved that us and up to much more.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  6. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

No one has to do anything, but it would be a worthy gesture of good will to those of us who lost productive time because of this release.

7. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

I'm 110% with you.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I haven't had any noticeable problems with v3 AV. Can someone tell me what to look for?

9. bcronin

bcronin Registered Member

Me, for one ...

10. saffron

saffron Registered Member

They should change it to "These first release versions may be less than 10% bug-free!" :(

I upgraded to V2.7.

11. saffron

I did, but that's not a very good answer and it doesn't fix the bugs.

12. saffron

It will take ESET years to regain the reputation it lost this week!

Habsucht saugt!

13. saffron

The Power of One. :)

Someone said only 10% of ESS users are having problems.

ESET claims 25,000,000 licensed users, so 2,500,000 must have problems.

I'm one of that small minority. :(

14. saffron

15. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Me 2 :thumb:

It's important to remember those that visit the forum and post are naturally going to be experiencing an issue.
    A support forum is not a very clever place to try and find out how many people something is working correctly for.

Cheers :)

16. saffron

There were so many OLD problems being discussed, ESET was stupid to release the program when it did.

The NEW problems are a bonus. :(

17. CtlAltDelete

CtlAltDelete Registered Member

I had to read this 6 times and still I barely understand it...

18. CtlAltDelete

CtlAltDelete Registered Member

8 months in BETA and this is what they release? Some of the ongoing issues are so glaring that its hard to believe it was in beta at all! How was this stuff missed?

19. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I think it's a big shame, this is happening with a product, that has been on the top for so long and now this.
    It means the final license for me with Nod, that's for sure, but I guess nobody is losing any sleep over that!

20. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

That would be very wise on the part of Eset, to extend the subscription time until a stable candidate is released.

I see two ways of looking at this:

1. We have the precedent of the "grand-daddy" of popular software makers, Microsoft. MS has always worked by the credo of "put it out fast (even according to an artificial time-table ruled more by marketing concerns than by serving the customers' needs), then clean it later". They consistently put out partially and imperfectly configured software -- operating systems, no less -- and then do the tweaking later, AFTER the buyers have already paid for it!! Smart business move, has created a number of billionaires, but has hardly won Bill Gates and Co. many friends.

Eset, a much smaller niche (anti-virus/security) software maker, does not have the luxury that MS has; there are simply too many alternatives that buyers can go to if they are disappointed enough with what Eset is doing. Microsoft's competition (Apple, Linux) still maintains a fraction (*maybe* 25%) of the market share that MS owns. Eset, by comparison, is a much smaller player even in the security software niche -- think Symantec, McAfee, CA, Trend, Panda, and others; even now Kaspersky has grown enormously in the past few years -- so Eset has got to keep itself disciplined enough to hold those customers who went to Eset for all the reasons we have left the "big boys": we want light, unbloated, fast, efficient, no-nonsense, safe, reliable anti-virus software. We are ready to pay for that. When the product ceases to hold these qualities it loses its appeal, and we will start looking elsewhere.

2. The other way to see it is: Eset has done something unique and good in the past by making a light, fast, efficient, and reliable product. They are most likely going to keep their pride over these strong points and will fix the various problems that this new 3.xxx release has; Eset sees its niche and will be faithful to making their product light, fast, most efficient, and reliable, and when the time comes to upgrade the guts of the software they will do it well, not rushing out inferior buggy releases just to "keep up with the Joneses".

I'm waiting to see what Eset will do next.

|||

21. saffron

ESET hasn't lost me yet, I've upgraded back to V2.7 for now, but I'll be gone like a flash if they don't quit the bullshit and admit there are some serious problems with V3 and ESS.

22. digibits

digibits Registered Member

I would very much have liked to upgrade my Eset AV software to ESS, but the seller that Eset customer service directed me to was totally unaware if this could even be done. So I have two years remaining on my NOD32 program and will probably never upgrade to ESS despite the fact that I was one of their beta testers.

My firewall software, Outpost 2008, runs fine with NOD32 v2.7 on Vista, It will not run with the latest NOD AV release.

I'm sure that ESS was supposed to be a "cash cow" for Eset, but if I'm not allowed to upgrade to it from an existing AV license, they can probably forget ever getting any repeat business from me. :thumbd:

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, the only upgrade mode that I've seen is a renewal based upgrade - e.g. execute a renewal purchase today for ESS (looks to be standard terms for renewal) and the ESS license is for any time remaining on your current NOD32 license plus the renewal period. In my own case, I had a 2 user NOD32 license expiring in 04/2008, did a 2 year ESS upgrade renewal, now have 2 user ESS licence until 04/2010. Not sure if they support other options at the moment and it may be region dependent as well....

Blue

24. saffron

NOD32 V3 uses some of the firewall component so it's probably a conflict. Oupost FW is crap IMO, but the FW in ESS is worse. ESET needs its head read for rushing it to release in its present state.

25. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's "software" people. It happens, an immediate release to the general population is always going to be "buggy"..and the developer knows that..and relies on the feedback from this "real world test".

Internal testing, no matter if it's antivirus, some office suite, a game, an operating system,...internal testing can never give the develop a good idea of what their new product will be like "out in the real world..on peoples plethora of various configurations". Internal testing can only go so far, and it's usually on clean machines...not "real world..scrambled up" computers like the general population has from every day use.

Just like operating systems...it's not a good idea to rush out and jump on the latest OS. Stability and compatibility is usually approx 9-10 months later with the first service pack. How many people rushed to go to Vista...and went back to XP?

Games...a games initial releases when they "go gold"...bugs are usually widespread...compatibility has to be improved, make it work better with various video drivers, monitor drivers, etc. Point Releases and patches are usually quick to follow an initial release.

Speaking of games...I rarely hear complaints about spending money on them. And games are usually at least twice as much as AV products. Many people purchase quite a few games per year..rarely keep playing them all. 50-60 bucks on a game...play it through, find the majority of them boring..uninstall it and shelf the CD. Break down the price of an antivirus product....1 years protection...how many hours do you spend on your PC being protected? Cost per hour of antivirus protection? Much less than the electricity it uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.