Will the 2.001 version of regdegfend be updated?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Kegel, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Even though I own licenses for reg and app defend, I cant install app defend as it conflicts with punkbuster. I noticed the regdefend version hasnt been updated along with the version that comes with the appdefend beta. Will this ever be updated? Not sure why the developer chose to do it this way as the regdefend is still offered alone on the website.

2. f3x

f3x Registered Member

regdefend is offered alone as the last *non beta* version of gss consist only of regdefend. However the future of regdefend lies as a compongment of gss.

3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Kegel,

I am sure RD will be updated but would not even want to venture a rough date as to when. Jason is very busy with AD at the moment which just entered the private alpha stage today. Hopefully AD will progress to a public alpha stage in the next one or two weeks (depending on what if any problems have to be addressed in the private testing stage).

The way Ghost Security Suite and all its components work is there will be a free version and a paid version of each. All available modules will be included in the suite (at the moment these are RD and AD) and you will have the option to disable or enable each component, then for the components that you enabled you will have the choice of the free or paid versions. This has several advantages doing it this way such as a unified driver and less memory/resource usage than if running all separate.

HTH ;) ...

4. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

I understand that and own licenses for both products. The problem is that even if App Defend is disabled, Punkbuster can detect it and locks up games that use it. I also own a Process Guard license and it has the same problem,...even if disabled, Punkbuster kicks you from games. So,,,the only solution is to NOT install AppDefend at all.

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Kegel,

I understood what you were saying previously, and what I was trying to get across is that Jason has no plans on releasing individual components in the future (unless for some reason he changes his mind which I doubt). I do not know if there is any fix for the problem with PunkBuster but Jason will probably take a look at it whenever the current alpha of AD goes gold. I am not a coder so I have no idea if there could be a solution to this problem or not.

6. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Kegel,
    Did Punkbuster ever mention (on their forums) why they chose to block the use of AppDefend ?

One reason that I ask is that AppDefend doesn't do anything that would stop Punkbuster from applying its protections, it is a little different with PG because that can block direct memory READs and hence stop PunkBuster from enforcing its rules but AD doesn't do this.

Only time will tell, but you could try and bring it to their attention that AD shouldn't stop them enforcing their policies as it doesn't have mechanisms that would do that....

7. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

RegDefend has been updated in the publically available version of AppDefend beta.

Also the next version of RegDefend has a lot of improvements along the same lines of AppDefend, so it is continually being worked on and improved. The unified driver allows the sharing of improvements in some cases to happen to both products, which is definitely one big advantage of doing it that way.

8. f3x

f3x Registered Member

I fully agree with gottadoit
    pb have no reason to block appdefend.

have you tryed block read from pb to those two key ?
    it may make the trick ...

hklm/software/Ghost Security/**
    hklm/system/*ControlSet*/Services/ghostsec/**
    --------------------------

From the PG thread !

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Will I be able to download the latest version of RD without AD? I am a paid-up RD user.

10. f3x

f3x Registered Member

There is no such thing as a version of RD without AD.

That you need to understand is that behind the wheel, they all are kernel hook. So the infrasctructure to make such hook is common (hence the unified driver) so you cannot really separate it in two different antities.

The only downside to have bougth only one of the solution is to have a Trial message on the home tab for one of the product.

What may eventually happens is an option to hide the appdefend or regdefend tab and home banner when this product is disabled and you have bougth the otehr product.

This will make the executable "convertible" between ad, rd or both.
    However considering the lifetime licensing option ... Jason cannot charge for new version... Instead he have to charge for *new feature* package called modules. So having all product ready to use and trial is the best publicity he can make as additional revenue stream.

11. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

They were separate when AD was first introduced. I have a stand alone version of RD 2.001. My question was, for those of us that have RD and another application firewall, will Jason still support us users of RD only as he implied when we bought it (before AD was developed) that it was a "purchase once" program. If to get furure upgrades you now must pay more to buy a RD/AP suite that does not seem fair that you must now buy a second program to get support for the first which I may then disable beacuse I already have an application firewall.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  12. f3x

f3x Registered Member

It's logic that before AD existed it was not bundled isnt it ;) ?

You can upgrade to new version of the suite without spending a penny.

Only disadvantage is that one of the componment ( AD) will be in Free mode.
    However you should not have nag screen... only a small text that say that this componment is in free mode while you still have full mode for RD.

The *solution* i posted which may render everyone happy is a compromise.
    RD user accept to upgrade to the suite at no additional cost, however if they really do not want to use the application firewall... this componment could be hidden from the gui.

I beleive that second way is a more realistic claim that wanting to go back to standalone RD.

13. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Being that the two are not sold seperately, GAMERS NEED NOT APPLY. As long as Punk BUster is the preferred (cough) anti cheat software out there, AppDefend will render your computer uselss for gaming. Even if you only need or want the features of RegDefend. This is unfortunate because PG has the same problems. I understand that this shouldnt be the case,...but it is...for whatever reason. Until this porblme is addressed, trust me....dont bother.

14. f3x

f3x Registered Member

PG had the problem because it can be used to block PB
    AD should not have the problem because it does not block access.

That decision by punkbuster is a stupid choise ... based only on first time reaction ... oh there is a new hips there .. lets block it. THey they can block SSM and why not KAV wich have a proactive defence o_O

For you to request a special build is the problem in reverse.
    Teh situation will eventually get sorted.

Did you try what i told you to do about blocking registry read from punkbuster ?
    I'm pretty sure this will allow you to use appdefend.

15. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Im not requesting a special build. The problem just doesnt seem to be acknowledged by anyone. Ill try to sort it out but as the developer of PG knows, lack of action here may cause lack of sales. I would imagine many potential users are gamers. I know PG is fundamentally at odds with PB, this may or may not be the case with AD.

16. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Okay, that explains it. I thought I would have to upgrade to the full paid AD also. Not that I think its a bad program, but I had already purchased the other application firewall. Thanks for the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.