Will TDS-4 work better w/WinMe than TDS-3?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Ghost, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Since (apparently) people running WinMe may not have benefitted from all the features available in TDS-3?

(Useless to check some of the settings, spotty performance on automatic update function, etc. ).

Not complaining (still the best AT program out there, regardless of OS), just curious as to whether the issues of TDS/WinMe use will be resloved/improved in TDS-4.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Ghost,
    IMHO I could not get rid of WME quick enough, probably the worst OS that MS ever launched. Fortunately W2K was around and I found that very satisfactory in fact I still have a W2K bootable hard disk.

XP has any previous version of windows, apart from possibly W2k, beaten hands down in terms of stability & compatability both harware & software. Having said that there are still contentious issues that ppl are still struggling with before they make the move to XP

Obviously WME & back do not allow certain functions as these functions such as NTFS streams are only applicable to NTFS based systems & will, therfore, never be available in TDS running on WME, W98 etc platforms.

Regarding updates, the main thing to do there is ensure that you have the latest Update.cfg available from the DCS site.

These are just my personal thoughts - Pilli

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

lmao no win me was the best os lol im runing it now and works fine with tds but see i bother to update my win me to its max and you need ram 32 ram aint going to cut it nor 64 ram lol try a ram upgrade

4. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Pilli - Eventually, I'll get around to switching over to W2K.

While being fully aware of the superiority of the kernals involved, I'm also acutely aware of the near-daily news reports of newly-discovered vulnerabilities with regard to XP (some of which also affect W2K).

In the meantime, how many malware writers would you think are targeting WinMe?

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I've really no idea, most of the Windows vulnerabilities appear to be in OE, IE & Outlook which are common to all flavours of windows. Being the most used desktop programmes on the planet they make very big targets.
    The biggest problem as I see it is user education or rather the lack of it.

W2K is a nice platform and can be made pretty secure, IIS patched is OK too until someone finds another hole :D

Linux for all it's advocates has many vulnerabilities but usually it starts with everything "off" rather than Windows everything "on" and appears on the face of it to be more secure.

The debate will go on for as long as the differenr plarforms exist. At the moment I am happy with XP Pro as my main OS but have recently installed Mandrake 8.2 which I have yet to get to grips with :oops:

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Ghost:
    Like Pilli I would really have no idea of malware targetting specifically WinME, but you can bet your boots a lot more would be going for newer OS flavours than one which has been out for a while.

Also, if you upgrade to Win2K like you said you might, then you will wonder why you did not do it a long time ago.

If going for Win2K, can I make a suggestion. Get Win2K PRO or if XP get the PRO versions rather than Home Editions.

Just like anything in life, nothing can be guaranteed against any form of attack, but getting an OS like Win2K PRO is a far greater advantage than its predecessors. As long as you immediately upgrade to all SP's, Patches, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.