Will Returnil work for a 4 user pc?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by liviococcia, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liviococcia

liviococcia Registered Member

Hello members, i look after my sisters fully updated Windows XP pc, the pc has four user accounts, her profile, two teenager profile and the Admin profile which is for my use.

Is it possible to have Returnil startup (from the computer being off completely) in virtual desktop for all three of the other users accounts but not for the Admin account, also note, when the computer is turned on it will always boot straight into my sisters desktop even though she is not an administrator.

Is there also a way to password protect Returnil's settings when the users are in there accounts.

The reason for all of this, is that they regularly contract viruses, Trojans and malware and so if it can protect the computer the sandbox way, it would be much easier going for me.

Any info would be great.

Kind regards
    Livio

2. vmron

vmron Registered Member

Don't know about the four user, if each one requires a license. I need to know this also as I'm getting a new computer.
    When each user logs on they log on into a virtural enviornment if box is checked to start virtual mode when windows is started. This is for all users.They can't be enabled individually as far as I know. Maybe this is a feature for the business editions.
    under preferences --> administration you can check enable password protection. From my understanding this is enabled under all users.
    Hope this answers your questions

3. liviococcia

Thanks vmron for that, so it's all or nothing when using Returnil, but as long as i create and use the Returnil admin password for updating and maintenance purposes this ahold be ok.

Are there known issues with regards to Returnil and the virtual system startup setting, and Logmein ?

Regards

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi liviococcia,
    The virtualization is disk level rather than application level. This means that it is either on or off for all users of the computer. So when activated, the security of the Virtual Mode is not lost because of a simple user change or account log out.

The following are ways to address this for the administrator:

1. Turn the Virtualization off, restart the computer, make the changes you need to make, restart the virtualization.

2. If the changes do not require editing of the registry (updating files and/or folder contents), simply add the files to your File Manager list (paid versions) and then configure the automatic saving option to do this at specific intervals.

3. Divert program data and output to the RSS Virtual Drive or an alternate partition/disk (non-system)

4. Down and dirty: Use the "Save all changes" option after making the changes you want and then restart the computer. Once restarted, change the option back to "drop all changes" and you are good to go. This is problematic unless you know the exact changes. IOWs, you open the door here to making something from a different user account "permanent" so you need to ensure the user profiles are clear of malware or malicious content prior to committing all changes during the current virtual session to the real disk.

Mike

5. liviococcia

Thanks Mike for the help, i'll give it a go sometime this week cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.