Will not boot from CD with wireless mouse installed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MKairys, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

I installed a Microsoft Wireless Optical Notebook Mouse 4000, replacing the Targus Wireless Notebook Mouse I had been using. I have booted from the Acronis Rescue CD many times with the Targus mouse installed and have never had a problem using that mouse with the standalone TrueImage interface.

Some time after installing the new mouse I tried booting from the Rescue CD. I got to the loader menu and selected Full. Then after a few seconds the screen went blank and there was no further activity frm the CD drive or the hard drive.

I removed the wireless sender from its USB slot and rebooted from the rescue CD, and this time when I selected Full from the loader menu I got the "Locading..." message and the standalone TrueImage came up.

I have read numerous postings about mice not working in the standalone interface, but this problem is actually worse, since the standalone program won't even come up with the mouse installed.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

3. MKairys

Yes, the "usbmouse=off" workaround works.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Good news :).

If you find the workaround a bit of a bind you can always <submit a request for technical support> and ask whether they can send you a download link for a special CD ISO that already contains the usbmouse=off parameters. Let them know what the problem was, the subsequent workaround and include a link to this thread. You will also need to provide Support with suitable proof of purchase (e.g. where you purchased TI 9 from, e-mail, order number, copy of invoice, scan copy of receipt, etc.).

Regards

5. MKairys

This problem persists with build 3567.

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Apparently there isn't as yet an ISO with 'usbmouse=off' parameter, but they're working on it - according to support.

Colin

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  7. MKairys

This problem persists with build 3633, with one slight difference: after selecting Full, I got the Acronis splash screen, and then the screen went blank, etc.

8. MKairys

I was too hasty, or too trusting, with the previous note. There is another difference:
    the usbmouse-off workaround no longer works!

9. MKairys

To whom are you addressing these questions?

10. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Anyone who has the answers - including Acronis Support.

If you think that they are not relevant to your problem I will start a new thread, just let me know. :doubt:

11. MKairys

I just hope you don't expect me to have the answers :)

12. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Wouldn't that be nice..... :D

Anyone from Acronis Support online.... its been a long day :'(

13. ianhargreaves

ianhargreaves Registered Member

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard installed and notice slightly different behaviour.

One solution that works .. if I just wait about 3 minutes when the loading message appears on the black screen, the system does eventually start loading as usual; Mouse doesn't work properly though (can only move up and down regardless of mouse actual movement)

14. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

I am on 3633 now and my Microsoft Wireless USB mouse does still work and I no longer need usbmouse=off. This was fixed, for me, in the previous version and is still OK in 3633.

15. mens_sana

mens_sana Registered Member

I was disgusted when the MS wireless mouse wouldn't work, so I just hauled an old plug-in mouse out. Only problem after that was that the file was "corrupted" :ouch:

16. MKairys

This problem persists with build 3666. The "usbmouse=off" workaround does not correct the problem.

I am using the Microsoft Wireless Optical Notebook Mouse.

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MKairys,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Then please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alexey Popov. Provide the sysinfo.txt file collected in your request along with the link to this thread. I'll proceed with the investigation of this issue and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

18. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

I am using a Logitech wireless mouse and 3633 - mouse works fine.

My only point is to say that wireless mice don't work is too general.

19. MKairys

Those instructions are:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear.

After I choose "Full Version" I get the splash screen, a few moments of disk activity, and then nothing. I never get the # prompt.

20. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Interesting, as I have the DiNovo Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard combo - and my mouse still doesn't work without using the usbmouse=off parameter (this has already been reported by me personally to Acronis), using this version.

Yet it did 2 versions ago - so something in the mouse driver/kernel for Linux seems to have changed.

Colin

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MKairys,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you are not able to create Linux System Information, please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and send it to Acronis Support Team. This information would let us investigate the problem under consideration thoroughly and provide you with a possible workaround.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

22. MKairys

23. MKairys

We have a fix.

Support emailed me and suggested:

1. Please try the following workaround ... "usbmouse=off"
    2. Please disable USB legacy support in BIOS settings.
    (1) did not work. (2) did.

The Dell Latitude D800 does not have a setting for USB legacy support. However it does have a setting for "USB Emulation", about which it says:

USB Emulation determines whether the system basic input/output system (BIOS) controls Universal Serial Bus (USB) keyboards and mice. When On is selected, the system BIOS controls USB keyboards and mice until a USB driver is loaded by the operating system. When Off is selected, the system BIOS does not control USB keyboards and mice, though they function during the boot routine.

I have set this to Off and I am able to get into the Linux environment and to use the wireless mouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.