Will my my dvd-drive ever work?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by raakii, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Yesterday I put my xp-sp2 cd on my dvd -drive ,it showed 0 bytes ,so i restarted my comp , i got a loud bursting noise on reading form the drive,(i think my cd had a crack b4 it was put:oops: ).

After this i am unable to remove the broken cd from the drive , (not able to eject it).Now I have removed the dvd drive form the computer , (i can hear the sound of broken glass).

My sata dvd -drive has brought just an year ago.

My question is , if someone ever removes broken cd from the drive , will function ,or will it be lost forever?:doubt:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raakii, all drives have a pinhole, somewhere on their front face plate, where you can insert the end of a flattened paper clip to manually eject the tray. Did you try that?

If the CD shattered in little pieces, they are probably either embedded inside the head actuator mechanism and spindle or at a minimum, upon burst, the fragments scratched the optical laser lens' surface, so the drive might never be any good afterward.

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

No.i havent tried the flattened paper clip.

Wat is ur say on the probability of the drive working normally ever afterwards.

I m actually frightened to connect the drive on the comp, thinking that it may burst again , is it true?

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It will not burst again.......The bursting is a function of high speed rotation of cracked discs.....But in all fairness the drive is no good now, you'd better send it in for warranty, or get a new one.

Which brand was it anyway? One some poor discs and over zealous speedy drives I have seen even normal, uncracked discs burst....

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

It is manufactured by samsung .Gonna send it for some repair.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

tbh i would just buy a new drive they are only like £15 anyway.

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I had a CD explode in my drive a couple of years ago. I took the drive apart and was able to shake all the shards out of it. It worked for a couple of months but then expired. As lodore said they are pretty cheap nowadays anyway. I remember back in 2000 paying $250 for a Plexor 16x CD-RW. You can buy a case of drives for that much now, lol.

8. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I will buy a new one soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.