Will I benefit from Process Lasso on my high end laptop?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

With such high specifications (see sig) will I experience any benefit from using process laso or am I just better off using my computer as it is?

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Re: Will I benefit from Process Laso on my high end laptop?

Its a waste of space on a machine with that hardware. Its a waste on my machine with 1/4 of that. I have 4Gbs of RAM, 320Gb 7200RPM HD, NVIDIA 9500GS 512GDDR2 GPU, and Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 and I didnt see any benefits of Process Lasso.

3. berryracer

I see! Thanks for the input man!

4. guest

guest Guest

:rolleyes: Why are you not testing it? - Would be better than trusting blindly someone (anyone on any forum) who might not even know 10 % of what this program can do. Basically it sort of is a swiss knife and I bet that everyone would find a function that could be helpful, at least sometimes. I guess the other guy was just talking about one feature (ProBalance)?

But what about core (un)parking? Or take disallowed processes? (I used that to kill junk like ask-toolbar that wanted to install with legit software.) - As I said, it has so many functions, I can' t imagine that there is none for you?

Sometimes Firefox or another program hangs and it takes ages to try to kill those via taskmanager. With "forcibly terminate" of PL no problem. And I like the beautiful icon where I see my CPU use (don't like taskmanager symbol). - Of course: ProBalance (killer feature of the past) probably doesn't make (much) sense on a highend system as yours, I give you that while running it on a much slower computer. - But I install that thing on any system I have to work with, like I do with Total-Commander (both paid of course). Wouldn't do that if I had "no benefit" at all, believe me or don't. :cool:

And one thing: waste of SPACE?! WTF? Are we talking about the same PL I know? That's a ridiculous "argument" against this little program, don't you think? The guy behind PL is also a really nice one (and knows what he is doing) and you get support from him that you seek elsewhere with no success!

But to each his own. ;) After all it's a power-user-tool and not for everyone. :D

5. berryracer

Ok ill try it on my work computer which is slow as a turtle due to the bloatware installed by IT :rolleyes:

6. pirej

pirej Registered Member

I have an older/slower pc than you (berryracer), and the "lasso" doesn't make any difference...
    I have a pro version license, but i have disabled it from auto-running.

7. berryracer

ahh ok, thanks for saving me the hassle

so it's just a gimmick as I thought

8. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I have an AMD 64 computer running 32 bit; Windows XP(sp3), 80gig hardrive with about 35% free space. To me it seems that it is not quite as fast as it used to be but I would be very surprised if I have contracted any malware. I have been using Process Lasso Pro ever since it was last offered on Give Away of the Day. I downloaded the new offer today from GAOTD but have yet to install it. I have uninstalled the version I was using and it may just be me but it seems that the computer is a little more responsive. I believe I will skip the offer today and continue, for the next few days, to see if it is more responsive or my imagination. If it turns out to be just my imagination I will download the free version of Process Lasso. Any suggestions or recommendations would be most welcome and I thank you in advance.

John

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I suggest you install the Giveaway so you can get the Pro version and then disable auto-start while you're evaluating the system.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What kind of difference are you looking for? Process Lasso doesn't make a computer faster, it smooths multitasking. On my older dual core laptop apps play together better since no one app can grab the CPU. I also like the new power management features in v6.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I remember i installed it once in my laptop (Which is REALLY slow and laggy when multitasking) and it did made a difference. :D :thumb:

12. pirej

pirej Registered Member

You are right about the way Process Lasso works, i wasn't expecting that it will make my pc FAST, but my pc works fine, and doesn't stall with or without the Lasso.

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Will I benefit from Process Laso on my high end laptop?

I'm testing PL as we speak...
    We'll see IF it will make any noticeable difference...

14. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Those people that said it doesnt work have a mid level to high level PC. The people who said it works have computers that are naturally laggy running multiple programs anyways. Process Lasso doesnt do anything that faster hardware cant cure.

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hell no with all the horse power you dont need to laso a process.:D

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Will I benefit from Process Laso on my high end laptop?

Up to now, I haven't seen anything spectacular in terms of performance increase...:doubt:

17. guest

guest Guest

Only if you ignore the fact that there are many other functions besides ProBalance feature in this program. - Btw: I don't think that the default values for ProBalance are ideal. For a long time I head to change those, because I didn't want to have ProBalance kick in as often as possible but only when it's really needed to stop heavy cpu grab.

So if it is doing "too much" for your favor and you feel it maybe even slows things down (creating entries in logfile every few seconds), change those values a bit or even disable ProBalance.

I am glad that I can change energy profiles with certain software where I need every bit of performance. You have so much control about what is going on. Of course you don't see this and all what is possible if you just install the program and don't go looking for all those features.

Btw: I did never install it and just could "forget" about it (with default settings), always had to fine tune it for seeing any difference. Maybe that's the case for you too?

Again: if you have highend computer then ProBalance (ONE feature of many of PL!) isn't gonna work it's speed magic because your system is idle the whole time anyway! - Then you have to explore other functions of this program to find it useful. Or you won't! The thing is, every version there are more useful functions implemented and if you have a great new idea Jeremy will probably add this a few versions later if it makes sense!

ProcessLasso is not and will never be obsolete too me even if ProBalance feature isn't needed the way it was on old, slow systems where it did improve things a lot! Nowadays it could be a musthave for netbooks (slow intel atoms), I could at least imagine (not having such a thing).

And I am eager to see what he finds in the next months and years to implement that makes this software even better. It will never ever be bloatware, each version gets better (okay, sometimes a beta runs not as good as the beta version before, but I mean in general), faster and more useful.

But only in the hands of people that know what they do. Just installing is not enough, unfortunately! Else customers would by now run him over. ;)

p.s.: Regarding ProBalance - I have to tell PL after a new install always which programs NOT to restraint wit ProBalance. Because some things you want to run with no speed brake no matter how much CPU they use. If I don't do that and it kicks in also to early I also feel it slows things rather down than making it more snappy. So there is manual setting work necessary.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  18. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I have what I would call a medium spec system (quad core with 4Gb RAM)...and agree with what guest is advising.

PL will not speed up your system. It has not mine but has certainly helps make it smoother in operation due to the ProBalance & Process Restraint features when it comes to dealing with wayward, CPU and/or RAM hogging app.

My suggestion, if one decides to take the plunge, is to let it do its thing whilst the very useful help is reviewed and then start making the adjustments that suit YOUR system...whilst you are using the system normally/as per usual.

We all have our opinions as to how these apps affect our systems...but that is the point...they are systems and not the one that the enquirer is using.

Try it and see...as there is nothing to go wrong with that.

Just me halfpenny's worth...for what it is worth.

Regards

Balders

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

No third-party software will do scheduling and memory management better than the kernel itself.
    Mrk

20. Baldrick

Disagree with that very definitive statement...as that is not what I have seen on my system. Cannot prove this view as it is based on personal observation rather than any empirical study. Which is why I suggest that the person considering using PL should try it for themselves and see how they find it working (or not) for them on their particular system.

A lay person's view perhaps...but it is mine.

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I dont know much about this program.Just reading through the thread and correct me if im wrong on this but wouldnt task manager achieve the same.?
    If i set the priorities correctly with each process which can be done manually via the task manager would this not achieve the same.
    Only a thought.:shifty: :thumb:

22. Baldrick

Hi B

I would say that you are right and that one can achieve what you are describing with the Task Manager but PL allows awhole lot more and also what the Task manager can do...with a lot more granularity.

It is really all about what works for you and your system...as, as Mrkvonic has previously advised, it may do nothing for your system/best left to the system/os itself, etc.

Worth IMHO a trial to see whether it can do something for your system.

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you baldrick.:thumb:
    Im always a little cautious with these sort of "optimising"apps.To be perfectly honest with you my system is running just fine now and i feel no need for this sort of app.
    If users with a sluggish computer benefit from this then hats off to PL.
    At this moment in time its not for me.
    Thanks again.:thumb:

24. Baldrick

No problem, B.

My system is not what one might call sluggish but as I have stated above...I tried the trail and found that my system played smoother (subjective term ;) ) than without...hence why I have stayed with PL installed.

Definitively not a required piece of kit...but I find it useful. :D

25. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Ok i use process lasso,i find it useful, I have a config similar to whitedragon except 500 gb HDD and 2gb ATI raedon.

i use to for optimal memory and process management,you will be surprised what this little beauty can do !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.