Will I be protected?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RandomP, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomP

RandomP Registered Member

Hello all,

Over the past months I have trialed almost every AV software on the market. I didn't look for "the best" software, just the one that best suited my computer (I mean no lags, freezes, BSOD's, etc.). I have come up with a shortlist of 3 products: Avira, Dr.Web, F-Prot.
    My question is: before buying any of these, will they give me protection or not? I know Avira ranks very well in almost every test, but how will the other two protect me?

Thanks to all,
    r.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

All advanced+ scanners will give you enough protection, except for the missing signatures, failing heuristics and false/positives.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A while back I decided to take both Dr Web and F-Prot for extended rides - I have licenses for both, so these were multi-month uses, not just trial runs. Both were absolutely fine. I didn't see any shortfalls. I'm not a high risk surfer - except while checking the occasional questionable link posted here, but I can't see any of the 3 wanting with respect to standard coverage for a typical user based on my in-use experience.

Blue

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course you will be protected, no matter which you choose.

i have used drweb with nothing else, other than a router for the past 6 months and no problems what-so-ever, its caught a few nastys in that time, lots and lots of spam and 1 email virus through its spidermail, good work :)

of course, you only need to read my posts of present to know id recommend the doctor :)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

all great av's just choose the one that works best and also a good price.
    if you have an av license that is about to run out you could buy dr web using the mirgration discount.
    http://buy.drweb.com/togreen/
    lodore

6. RandomP

Thanks for all your answers. I think I'll maybe buy license for all three and see how it goes.

Thank you again.

7. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Im useing Dr Web, and find it great. Dont forget the Russian Defence Ministry use it, so its got to be good!

:D

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Delgado: thank you for the big laugh you gave me with your remark about the Russian defence ministry and using whatever they use ;)

9. ink

ink Registered Member

If you are a experienced user, I recommend to use SSM or SafenSec, it is much safer than antivirus software. For using antivirus alone, I would only recommend nod32, drweb and f-prot. No need to care about the comparative results, I found infections no mater whatever antivirus installed, I only care the system performance.

10. ink

ink Registered Member

Drweb is indeed used by army, but it only reveals that it undergone sophisticated test, it is reliable. Antivirus software is only one important part to gain security.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

You start right out of the gate with "Will i Be protected?". That gives us an undeniable clue to your concerns so allow me also to weigh in with my own choices for you too.

Cover your existing security programs with a solid HIPS which is extremely more formidable than their given credit for. They intercept any files/processes that might have touched down inside your machine and pass the decision to make to you. Takes a bit of learning but in the end your security increases ten-fold above what is was b4. System Safety Monitor is a favorite of many including myself, even the new (beta) EQSecure can effectively run intereference for you on your unit and BLOCK attempts that might turn out to be malicious. If you find yourself limited in just how to react to SSM's prompts or even EQSecure, then you would do yourself proud by placing even those programs under the solid cover of protection that POWER SHADOW will afford you.

Anti-Virus alone simply cannot stop an intrusion that is not registered in their database. These HIPS however work at a very different and vastly more proficient level then those and completely shield against anything signalling to your system by "FIRST" stopping it dead in it's tracks then passing the info on to you for your review first.

Power Shadow effectively locks the entire partition you're running into a virtualized (coma) state then all you need to do is simply reboot and your system is returned again to you in the exact same state it was before.

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Another good HIPS choice to try would be Online Armor. Easy to set up and use and it comes with a 30 day evaluation. If interested got to: www.tallemu.com...:eek: :D

13. RandomP

Thanks again to all for the advice. I will look into some HIPS software, trial one or two, and see how it goes. I understand the necessity of more than one layer of protection, but I never paid much attention to anything besides an antivirus and a firewall.

Thanks to all,
    random

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.