Will Google Chrome have 10% market share by end of 2010?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Will Chrome have a 10% market share by the end of 2010?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, Mozilla does indeed do that. Chrome moves fast, you bet, but I still think that Chrome just isn't going to "catch fire" enough for that target date. But you're right, we'll see soon enough. Four months flies by.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Because websites on the Internet don't have to follow Google's, Microsoft's or anyone's rules about what browser, functionality or features to support. As I said in a different thread yesterday, IE-only websites were/are either A: directly affiliated with Microsoft or B: created/coded by either a developer who wanted/needed certain features on their website and had to go with what supported it, or were too lazy or uncaring to support other browsers.

Firefox was once in the same position as Chrome is now, support was slowly gained. Google can't force people to use or support Chrome. Does Chrome have issues? Yes. Is the fact that they aren't at that 10% target yet and many websites don't fully support it all their fault? No.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Oh, I so remember the bad old days of Firefox! LOL

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

True enough, but, as I stated, it won't get better until more websites support these browsers (like Opera has a chance in a million years).

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I remember the GOOD old days of Phoenix/Firebird :thumb:

6. Daveski17

I loved Firefox 2 even if it wasn't as compatible as Fx nowadays. I really do prefer SeaMonkey for a variety of reasons.

I had a bit of a problem with Chrome 6.0.472.53 at first, I hope Chrome doesn't start to go down the tubes. Iron is looking really good these days though, I can see me using it more than Chrome again.

I'm even curious about Fx 4.

7. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

i dont have a single trouble opening any web page no one y say ok so i love Chrome a lot so i dumped to the trash can my Firefox sorry lol

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey if it's working good for you, that's great. I gave it enough chances and it failed me every time. I wish them luck with their goal.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've always used the Dev Builds and never experience a single problem :p
    CHROME FTW!!

10. Daveski17

Yeah, Chrome tends to do that. :(

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Tell me about it...:D

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Seems very similar to this one already posted here. I was hoping for some variety :D

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Where the heck is that page you guys linked anyway? I sincerely hope that the page was SUPPOSED to be brown. Otherwise, that's a heck of a rendering failure there, lol.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, we've established beyond doubt that Chrome is a cr@ppy browser, but I was hoping we'd get new examples of just how cr@ppy it is rather than repeated pics of the same site :D That's what I meant by variety ;)

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yay! We could celebrate each incompetent Chrome upgrade with a picture of a new site (and the url, if not XXX-rated ;) or top-secret).

I keep reading about these sites but no one is kind enough to list them. I'm sure you'll oblige :thumb:

(It's not that they don't exist, they do. For three of the sites, I posted my grievance to the webmaster and now those sites are working just fine.)

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Really? Why don't you check at the Chrome Forum? (I am sure you are familiar with Chrome Forum...)
    You will find many users Complaining about site Rendering problems!
    I posted just one SnapShot (from a Forum) and look how I am questioned by the Chrome Fanboys!
    I notified the webmasters of several sites, too. Guess what!
    "It is Google Chrome's Rendering. Our site has Nothing to do with it. Use a different Browser" they replied.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hi Mr. PC

talking about checking at Chrome Forums, here's one example:
    "CHROME DOESN'T OPEN THE LINK, BUT MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER DOES" (the caps aren't mine.)

Again, I'm not denying that X, Y, or Z browser doesn't open this, that, or the other site. But why not give the URL if you're going to all the trouble to post a pic?

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Could you please re-send it?

19. Daveski17

Iron's the same though, worse sometimes with its internal adblocker, I guess that's what SeaMonkey was invented for. LOL

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

@ Mr PC and Eice: *blows whistle* Back to your corners gentleman, break it up. Lol, guys, has anyone ever mentioned that little saying about arguing on the Internet? Mr PC, I'm awful sorry to have to remind you again, but the truth is that a lot of rendering issues with ANY browser come down to individual website support. Yes, there are indeed issues with browsers sometimes. It is a rarity that rendering issuesare either ONLY a browsers fault or ONLY a websites fault. If it was completely a browser's fault, there wouldn't be IE-only websites.

I agree that there is some Chrome fanaticism here, but there are all kinds of "fanatics" here. It's called fanboy, and it can and should be ignored. These are the people that will find any shred of data they can, whether it is correct or false to prop up their favorite software, and will blame anyone and everything else when their favorite software doesn't work for someone else. Getting into arguments with these types make YOU look just as stupid, so stay away from them. I don't need to defend Eice, he can defend himself. But, he's been trying to tell you the same thing, that both Chrome AND websites can be at fault for problems. He's right, he has very low tolerance, lol. I think we all can be guilty of that at times though.

So, there you are, software problems aren't always simple. There are a LOT of factors involved. By the way, I hate Chrome and I blame websites the most for its issues. Now, lets not derail this little train any further, hmm? We get threads shut down by these mods enough as it is.

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Not ANY browser. Largely Opera and Chrome. I cannot say the same for IE and FF though.
    I experienced it first-hand...
    Users canNot change their favorite websites.
    They change Browsers (Opera or Chrome or X browser) when they don't show Web-Content properly.
    Is the Web-Site Only to blame on it? Maybe, but the Average Joe does NOT care if
    IE/FF shows him what Chrome/Opera fails to.
    He ditches Opera or Chrome or X browser and goes back to IE and FF.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  22. Daveski17

If only I could figure out the UA spoofer in Iron ... o_O

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

1. Actually Firefox had its day as an unsupported browser as well.

2. And again, ignore such fanaticism, they are a hopeless cause.

3. Users can't change websites, but they can cause change by not using websites. When a browser "catches on", things change. Firefox caused the old "IE only" ways to largely disappear, save for some corporate and government websites. Once Chrome reaches the 10% mark, you'll start seeing some changes. Opera, well, Opera is its own problem. Opera suffers from not being used widely, but that can't change until the Opera marketing people and developers get off their behinds and start marketing their product. That's a different story for a different thread.

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I agree that average users don't care. Be that as it may, it doesn't mean that the blame they place on browsers is justified. The whole point of having these discussions is that we strive to be more informed than the average user instead of resorting to the typical knee-jerk emotional responses.

For some reason I suspect that problem has something to do with Opera's web development tool; Dragonfly is THE slowest, buggiest web debugger I've ever tried. No conditional breakpoints, no HTTP request results, no hover popup to show long variable/expression names, cannot arrange displayed scripts, etc etc etc.

To be fair, I last tried it a while ago, so things may have changed since. But when Opera makes it this hard for developers to debug their pages, it just kills off the already minimal incentive to optimize your pages for a browser with 1% market share.

25. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Average Users prefer to change Browsers instead of staying away from their Favorite Web-Sites.
    I remembered when Chrome Fanboys were telling me that
    'When 'Chrome reaches the 5% mark, you'll start seeing some changes'...:D
    At the same time, it doesn't mean that the blame on Web-Sites is Always justified,too.
    A-ha!
    So, Opera Development is problematic!
    Therefore, it is Not Only the Web-Sites to blame on Opera Rendering problems.
    -BUT-
    Chrome is Not problematic at All! Never!
    Therefore, we should Always blame Only the Web-Sites
    when it comes to the Chrome Rendering problems.

At last! The Epitome of the Chrome-Fanboy!

You couldn't have exposed yourself better! :D :D :D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.