Will Google Chrome have 10% market share by end of 2010?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Will Chrome have a 10% market share by the end of 2010?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Looks like Chrome may not need it?
    Source

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yeap...I've tried to substituted Firefox with another browser (Opera, Chrome etc.), but I always return to Firefox.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I don't know if the Anti-Keylogging protection of Chrome is as good as the Key-Scrambler Free add-on for Firefox or IE.

The major issue for not using Chrome still remains open to me:
    Google Chrome has been problematic when opening certain sites,
    as it couldn't properly display the Icons and Buttons of Forums.
    I had the same problem with Safari.
    Opera had Not issues like these, but it missed other staff...

4. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Try IE Tab or ChromePlus (buide in IE mode);)

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Why, then, not using IE itself or FF
    since Chrome fails to properly display web content?

6. progress

progress Guest

No! (because most of the people install Firefox) :)

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Amazing!

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As long as they're hard at work on improving Firefox and IE, I think that will keep Chrome down for a while. But it will still keep growing slowly....

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Another friend bites the DUST . . . :D
    She always used Firefox before, after installing Chrome, oh well you know what happens next :rolleyes:

I'm talking seriously every single friend that have used Chrome once they KEEEEEEEP it after :D

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It might grow, but it needs work still. I've tried it again after a long absence, and, they STILL allow ALL domains to use Javascript that are associated with a webpage/site if you try to whitelist websites under Javascript options. No, no no, that is NOT the way to do it. I don't expect a fully functional NoScript for Chrome here, but, at the very least, if you are going to let us control scripting, do it better than IE's only all scripts or no scripts at all approach. Until Chrome gives us more control, especially when security is supposed to be a reason to switch to it, it can't go back on my machine, which is a shame as it is overall a good browser.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I read that if a person installs Chrome from Google Pack it will install in Program Files. Is this true?

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That is what I hear from people as well. That and the Portable version. The bad thing is, you get rid of Chrome and all sorts of files and folders get left behind. I'm still trying to determine if I got it all out.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have found IE Tab quite useful on Chrome/Iron. At first I wasn't sure whether I would use it at all as Chrome seems to be OK for me in virtually every page. There are 3 or 4 sites I find it quite useful & I don't have to go through the rigmarole of opening slow-coach IE.

14. Daveski17

It's a start I suppose. I have heard that Chrome have recently given the go-ahead for more development in this area.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's not a start really, Javascript is the most common entry for browser exploits, and almost always it's 3rd party scripts not related to the main website. Without that fine control, you might as well not even bother whitelisting and hope for the best. Chrome did and does a lot of things right, but overlooking such an extensively used attack method is a little silly these days.

16. Daveski17

*Doh!* I forgot all about those pesky 3rd party scripts. That's like clickjackers as well right? At least Chrome's whitelist is better for people like me who would turn K-Meleon's JS off with the 'pref bar' & almost always forget to turn it back on when composing an email. o_O

Maybe one day Mr Maone will be able to port NoScript for Chrome. I've heard rumours ...

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Not all 3rd party scripts are malicious, no. But, the problem even with NoScript is that so many websites use several scripts for various functions that it's a guessing game as to what is safe and needed to allow and what shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole. Rumors or not, it's basically up to Google as to whether they would allow their browser to be interfered with enough to allow NoScript to work. I imagine the same situation would be faced as the ad blocking extensions face, where Google has yet to implement necessary functions in Chrome that would allow the full power of an extension like AdBlockPlus to work.

Being Google, I imagine it's quite possible Google doesn't want these extensions to have so much power, lest Googles ad partners and their own ads be blocked as well. Maybe it's the same with scripts. That's a guess on my part though.

18. Daveski17

ABP seems to be working well for me in Chrome at the moment. Well, sort of.

I should imagine you're right. I have been experimenting with Ghostery & I noticed a Microsoft ghost-feed in my Yahoo! Mail the other day that NoScript didn't pick up on. It's not there today, it may have been a false positive (ghost in the machine?). :eek:

Oh yeah, sorry ... it's nearly 3 am here & I need to sleep but ...

"Without that fine control, you might as well not even bother whitelisting and hope for the best."

I know what you mean but it is some defence against drive-bys as you casually surf.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Actually, not really, Dave. See, if you only have the option of either javascript full on, or whitelisting only one domain, there could be quite a few hidden scripts that are allowed along with that domain, some of which could be malicious. Chrome, as it stands at the moment, doesn't even show the user all of the other scripts that go along with that domain, you know, the various ad servers and such that are on just about all websites. Without seeing ALL scripts, you can't really be protected because you can neither block nor allow them, they are simply on or off, hidden from view, hopefully not causing mischief. I'm not paranoid that there is a malicious script floating around every website on the internet, but script control has become a very important part of security.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The Portable goes where you want it to. The limitations are the length of the path and that it will install best in a directory (wherever) named PortableApps.

Leaving garbage behind is certainly not unique to Chrome. I searched "all files and folders" on all drives for Google.* and deleted the finds since I don't intending having any other Google app on board. Then, I installed Chrome Portable on my E: drive. It (Chrome Portable) also runs in Sandboxie very well without having to weaken Sandboxie in anyway which is why I don't miss NoScript at all.

21. Daveski17

Yes, I agree, I just meant that if I happen to drop on a page with an exploit of some sort & the JS is off it gives me at least more security than nothing at all & the JS just running.

22. Daveski17

I'll say! I found a Symantec BHO in IE 18 months after I had removed Norton. :eek:

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Exactly, there's no way it'll hit 10% this year. Especially not when both Firefox 4 AND IE9 are set for arrival this year. And yes, far too many websites still either don't function properly or at all on Chrome, though much of that blame falls on websites and not Chrome.

25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

For what it's worth, Chrome has shown an unprecedented rate of nonstop evolution, while Mozilla is known for constantly missing deadlines.

But I guess we'll see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.