will enabling this settings...affect privacy...

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by mr tt, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr tt

mr tt Guest

I have a lot of sfotware on my computer...

Proxomitron
    StartPageGuard
    AVG
    ZoneAlarm
    CookieWall
    SpyBot

I also have changed settings on Internet Options with Javascript and Active Scripting disabled.

My question is this:

Can I enable Javascript and Active Scripting and still be relatively safe with all the software I have?

Reason is because the other people using my computer are having difficulties with surfing the net. And they don't understand the privacy issues.Enabling these options would life easier for them.

2. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi mr TT

Welcome aboard. My opinion is that the best security always is between ears.....between screen and chair. No computer is in safe if surfed without any responsibility.....may I suggest to teach other people how to surf secure....how to optimize security, minimizing risks...also my opinion is that java script enabled is okay as long as not clicking everything clickable links...that there are sites, "jokefiles", chat rooms and many funs on the net which might cause all misery for your computer. and not all emails are friendly.....ok, that might be my advice. Trust no 1.

Merry Christmas

-Ari

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

To guard yourself against the most common "click-able" sorts of spyware you may want to consider installing Spywareblaster
    It currently protects against installing of 73 spyware ActiveX controls, it´s free and it doesn´t have to run in the background.

Regards,

Pieter

4. mr tt

mr tt Guest

I just wanted to wish everyone here a Great Christmas here at Wilder's forum !!!

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Merry Christmas, mr tt!

regards.

paul

6. JayK

JayK Poster

I would say maybe.

Of your software only Proxomitron has the best chance of catching malicious JS.It depends on the filters you use so I can't comment.

Startpageguard - only guards your homepage, so it should stop homepage hijackers but not others dirty javascript .activex and other scripts.

AVG - sorry this is antivirus..doesnt do a thing. It might catch HTA,PIF files from well known viruses, but that's not a concern.

ZA - I think the pro version has some options. The free one does nothing espically for scripts that run locally only on your browser.

Cookiewall - er..No, at best you stupid tracking cookies like doubleclick

Spybot - This is for detection, and it doesnt stop malicious scripting anyway.

Basically scripting exploits are very hard to stop espically those running on browsers. Unlike viruses and even spyware, there is no database of signatures that can be used and people keep coming up with new generic scripting exploits that can be used in lots of ways.

Some can cause shutdowns, open infinite popups etc..

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/info17.htm

List of exploits.

Solutions

1) Proxo can allow you to filter lot dangerous scripts , but this usually requires a lot of knowledge on what to filter

2)There are lists like IEspyad which keep track of known dangerous sites by URL, so you might use it.

3)You can also try Pc-ilian's webtrap , Tiny trojan trap (now part of tiny firewall), Finjian surfing guard..which filter such stuff..Not with 100% accuracy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.