Will DefenseWall Benefit & Compliment My Security Setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CogitoErgoSum, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Will DefenseWall benefit and compliment my security setup?

BOClean
    Look'n'Stop
    Netgear RP614 v2 Router w/NAT & SPI
    NOD32
    Online Armor
    RegRun Gold 4.5

Can DW replace BOClean? Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated regarding this matter.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I'd say yes. Its different to the other apps

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=642110#post642110

Notok
    "Running things as a non-admin is always a good idea, even if it is only with something like DropMyRights. DefenseWall will give you stronger protection that's a little easier to manage, but DropMyRights with ProcessGuard makes for some very strong protection as well. The one advantage you would have with something like DefenseWall is that once something is inside the sandbox area, it can't even see anything outside of the sandbox, which is not true for DropMyRights"

3. muf

muf Registered Member

That would be no. BOClean is for detecting active malware in memory. Be it Spyware, trojans, keyloggers etc. Defencewall is designed to stop these things getting on your pc in the first place. But Boclean is to be used as a second line of defence in case something gets past Defencewall, Online Armor, NOD32. Defencewall is not the same and would not replace it. although you may find Boclean is redundant and never gets the chance to intercept something as your other apps should 'in theory' intercept malware first. But do you want to drop Boclean and 'hope' that the other apps do stop the malware. I use Online Armor, Regrun Platinum, KAV 5, Kerio Firewall with it's HIPS, NIPS and behaviour blocking and i still use Boclean. Why? Because i honestly believe it's indispensible. Knowing it is running gives me the reassurance that if all else fails, Boclean will be there to save my bacon!!!

muf

4. CogitoErgoSum

Thanks starfish 001 and muf for your input.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Sorry for confusion my yes was to your first question - DW benefit and compliment my security setup?

I concurr with Muff - Can DW replace BOClean? no

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you're comfortable with your security not identifying specific malware by name and eliminating them, then I think you could replace BOClean with DW. With DW you will, however, be left with the malware file still on your drive, which would need to be cleaned up later with an on-demand scan. The end result will be the same, that you will not be infected, whether that is an acceptable route to go is entirely up to you and your comfort level. You would just need to be aware of how each of them works. Personally I do choose to use my AT in addition to such software, and BOClean is light enough on resources that I don't know that it would really be worth it to not use it.

One thing you should be aware of, though, is that while using DW, Online Armor's Web Shield will be unable to alert you of objects in webpages. The unfortunate result of that is that it automatically blocks without warning. This is because Online Armor injects DLLs into processes in order to monitor their behavior. Anything inside the DefenseWall "Untrusted" area is isolated from the rest of the system, so those injected DLLs are unable to communicate with the rest of the program, and so they can't alert you. This may be different in the next release of Online Armor, but as it is now you would have to choose between DW and OA's Web Shield. The upside is that DW would stop those things from doing any harm to your system while still allowing them to run.

7. CogitoErgoSum

Thanks Notok for your input.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

8. CogitoErgoSum

Based upon the input to date, I am inclined to continue using BOClean and will most probably install DW and "temporarily" disable OA's "web shield". The reason being that the latest version's "web shield" is not compatible or functional with the Opera browser.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.