Will Ad Muncher v 5.0 be released in 2014?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Feb 3, 2014.

?

Will Ad Muncher v 5.0 be released in 2014?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    81.9%
  1. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

AdMuncher doesn't support https filtering nor IE11. does it make a difference if it's free or not? no.
    would anybody use a software that is outdated, just because it's free?
    and the soap opera going on on murrays blog just doesn't seem right. do you wan't to get paid for your work? ok, do a good job, keep your customers happy and charge money. are you feeling bad to charge money? go free, but don't cry that you're selling everything in your house. be a man and suck it up.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

No, it doesn't. Just like Jeffery would have been quite some time ago about the future of the product, Murray, etc..Murray is better off just not saying anything more on that blog and getting down to business if he intends to. The free version..before he starts adding in the mentioned "offers"..is all but useless as it stands, and a hell of a lot of people are out money if they dare to use IE 11. Oh sure, they can get a refund, along with a guilt trip of holding back the fixing of issues that should have been fixed a long time ago. He's sounding less like a businessman and more like he's searching for pity or excuses to not keep going. A paying user or potential user unfortunately doesn't care about personal issues. They only want to know why they should hand money over to this business instead of that business. If you can't fulfill their needs and in a timely manner, they go to someone who can. I'm sorry if he's having financial issues, but I need to know if working with this business is going to be a sound decision before I open my wallet. The first words I hear out of his mouth in years aren't really making me feel like it will be a sound decision.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The bad thing is they sent me an email recently asking me to renew. When I replied that I was concerned about version 5 not being released, Ad Muncher responded that without paying customers renewing subscriptions the company would go broke and never be able to release version 5. So I essentially had a moral obligation to renew. Now they say they are going freeware. Right... It's probably more accurate to say that the renewals were so few that the company decided to "exit" as gracefully as possible. They apparently maxed out as many renewals as possible then decided to make some sort of poor, poor, AM public announcement. It's all contrived. Essentially, these guys are crooks, nothing more.

4. Dave0291

See, without knowing exactly what you wrote to them, that's a poor response for a company to send a user. He could go the route of donations and start asking, but now too few trust the guy or his company. That's a damn shame too, because there was a time when the company had fans, even if it wasn't a huge, well known corporation. Jeffrey too has had his great moments with helping users with particularly troublesome ads and scripts. Jeffrey is actually very good at doing that, he just needs to not get so defensive at times. As for Murray, again, it's time to put up or shut up. Get off the blog except to give real progress reports on v5 or to say goodbye.

5. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I haven't commented on this as of yet because I have a lifetime license as well.This product is running out of life and I will be going to adblock plus and perhaps another freebie to Firefox as well.Good riddance to poor customer service :-(

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I have three lifetime licenses... lol. I was screwed over.

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

We are halfway through 2014. Posting this just because I noticed the date.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If there's not going to be much further financial gain for them then they should just make it open source.

9. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Murray participated in a small flurry of posts in his blog for 2 days and then goes silent....And he still has AdMuncher for purchase only, it just doesn't make sense that it is after the announcement that it will be free.

http://www.murrayhurps.com/blog/ad-muncher-announcement

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yeah, definitely! If what he say is true, make it open source.

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, while @avatar and his team is listening to users' wishes and they're continuously improving and polishing Adguard Murray is only talking and attempting to arouse pity for him and his business. I reckon that the aim of the public campaign he unleashed recently is actually only to increase sale of his dying application.

12. max2

max2 Registered Member

The application is far from dying I just bought another license the other day to show my support!

13. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I'm speechless. :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

14. Dave0291

I'm not surprised at all, actually. Some people are just loyal little sheep, some people are just stupid. If they want to throw their money into a hole and walk away, so be it. All the sirens are screaming, all the red flags have been raised. If people choose to ignore it, they have the right to I guess.

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Murray doesn't just look childish but his recent blog posts show that he's inherently childish. However in the same breath I have to admit that he's quite capable coder. His "ProHart" anti-piracy solution is smart enough and proves that he should only concentrate on coding and development of a software and business affairs should be left to others, more capable business people. If that would be case, Ad Muncher could be a successful project.

16. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

unbelievable... o_O

17. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Another proof that he (Murray) cannot be taken seriously for anything he says.

18. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Sounds like AM is like the Titanic, going down at the bow and no more life rafts to be found for Murray and Jeff. What do you expect when Murray goes MIA from his forum for over 6 months, make an appearance and posts a few comments and it's been a month now that he was on his forum. As a Ad Muncher Developer don't you think he would want to know what his customers are saying and visit his forum at least once a week? The old Naval terminology for a ship that lost power and going nowhere "Dead in the Water" fits Ad Muncher. Sorry Ad Muncher, you have lost my support due to too much unprofessionalism.

19. Dave0291

I have no interest in supporting this pretty much dead product, but you have heard of automated emails haven't you? It's almost certain that email is sent out automatically when the system sees a user is nearing the end of the subscription. We really don't need any more proof that he's digging AdMuncher's grave, we've got plenty of it through his blog alone.

20. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I am big on developers that communicate well with their customers/users, as well as ones that listen and accept criticisms for what they are. When developers start acting in such ways as Murray has, I lose all respect and never look back again.

To me, if you have an excellent developer, with fantastic customer relations, you end up getting an excellent product, as well as a huge support base/following.

What makes me lose respect the most, is that he looks for sympathy for his own wrong doings.

To me, if you screw up, admit to it, offer something better for the user base and move on from there.

Sorry, but the sympathy card just pushes us further and further away.

21. LaRock0wns

LaRock0wns Registered Member

I don't know how you can say it's pretty much dead product. They release new updated filters list twice a day. And they have been doing that everyday for years and years.

I'm also waiting for v5.x but you have to cut them a little break. They have to change a bunch of stuff to support https and they are adding iOS and Android. I would be upset if I paid for the app and then saw no list updates, but they have continually kept up to date on all the newest ads. And anytime I see a site that doesn't work right, they fix it on the next filter list release. I'm not sure if the other ad blocking software has as good of support.

Also, I would rather Murray and team concentrate on getting v5.x out the door than sit on forums responding to a bunch of posts.

Anways, here's hoping admuncher v5.x comes out soon.

22. Dave0291

I can easily say it's a dead product. The lists mean very little when the program itself is broken and doesn't even work on the newest version of the most widely used browser on the planet. It has been two years since the last AM release, and many more years that V5 has been promised to paying users to fix issues that shouldn't have even been a problem. Now all we're getting is personal blog posts from the developer...after years of not a word out of him..telling users how he has to sell off all his crap, do this and that, and have people keep paying for this thing if they ever want to see V5 come to life. If you aren't reading his blog, please do then come back and tell me how much faith we should have in the thing and in him. Jeffrey is the one handling the list updates and that's all he does as far as I'm aware. The man has, again, been MIA for years, with Jeffrey left to take all the heat then get defensive when he can't give real answers and not just "be patient". This isn't months, this is years. Meanwhile Murray has suddenly popped up and starts basically a a personal life blog fest, making the current version of AM free..while still asking for money for a version he still can't even give an idea of when it may show up. This is why users are so ticked off and don't trust him or the company. Sorry, you can support it all you want and help make excuses and "buts", but a lot of us just aren't buying what he's selling. And I don't just mean the product.

23. LaRock0wns

I hear you. I've been using Admuncher from almost the beginning. And I have a Surface tablet, with the only usable touch-friendly browser being IE11 (hooray, now I get ads). And it would be awesome to have HTTPS support. I read his blog. I'm familiar with the recently announced free version, etc. I also saw the post about v5.x with explanation on whats coming and all that, which has me believing that in fact it will come out. Why go through all that trouble posting about v5.x if his intentions are just to never release it? Also I talk with Jeff pretty much on a daily basis. I don't think Jeff is being dishonest about the release and I don't think Murray is going to leave him hanging. That's just me though.

There are other ad blocking solutions out there, so it's not like we don't have other choices if it comes down to it. Like anything in life, if you don't like the service go to a competitor. For me, I've been contemplating going with Adguard on the tablet until Admuncher v5.x comes out. Or maybe I fall in love with Adguard and never look back. Who knows. And if an updated Admuncher never comes out, it's whatever. It would have been the best money I spent over the years, that's for sure. I do admit, I am a fan. I have always promoted and recommended it to people so I'm not giving up hope at this point.

24. Dave0291

I don't think he's lying about wanting to release V5, I think he's gotten himself in over his head with too many years of empty promises and a complete lack of communication with customers who suddenly see him pop up out of nowhere and start posting random life updates and no concrete answers about the product being paid for. Jeffrey has talked about V5 features over and over again and it simply doesn't matter what is coming anymore, it matters that product gets done and made available. There's just too much being said that doesn't make any sense to people with common sense. I think they money has dried up for the company and he's not really going to sell off all his stuff, so he's waiting to see not the forum posts of support from users, but the financial support from them. It honestly seems like he's waiting for some rich user to adore him and the product so much that they fund the entire project. It's either that, the guy is just dreaming out loud, or this is all some sort of way for him to evade the frustration and questions until he figures out a way to kill off the company in a way that saves face. If he manages to get V5 out this year and it works just as it is supposed to, I think most of us burned or long gone users will be willing to give him and the company a second chance. Until we see it though, the company is dead.

25. LaRock0wns

I agree. I'm confused about his we are going to make it free, but I have to sell everything. That seems anti-productive.

So what if he was like, we are starting over with v5.x. Lifetime licenses are dead and now you have to pay say $24/year. Would you stay? Personally I think that would be fair ($2/month) and would allow the income to flow.

And I just tried Adguard and argh! In IE, the page took a minute to come up. Without it, it loads in a couple of seconds :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.