Will Acronis True Image work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by osmith, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osmith

osmith Registered Member

I am trying to copy a hard drive from an external SCSI drive (through a USB) to anouther SCSI drive (through a USB).

Unfortunatly the hard drive I am trying to ghost is not recognised by windows XP.
    Thus it doesn't come up as d: for example.

Yet my computer knows there is a Seagate hard drive attached. I believe windows XP doesn't recognise the formatting. I currently have Nortons Ghost 10 on my computer but it can not ghost a hard drive it doesn't see.

The hard drive I want to ghost is used in medical equipment and does have information on it.

Is there an answer to my problem. Some one suggested a bit for bit image using Linux. As I haven't used Linux I don't really understand how to do that.

How can I ghost this hard drive. Can Acronis True Image do this?

Please help!!

Thank you
    Owen

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

When the unrecognised drive is connected by USB it should still appear if you look in Disk Management. It should show up there as a disk with some used and unused space. A file system may be specified such as FAT 32 and its status will be unknown.

If you already have Acronis True Image installed it should be able to make an image of the source drive to a location on your XP computer. The next stage would be to disconnect the source USB drive and replace it with your target usb drive and restore the image to it.

If you do not have a copy of True image you can download a trial version. True image Home V9 should be sufficient to do this job. Once installed V9 should be able to see the source USB drive when it is opened in Windows. If this is the case you will be able to do the imaging/restore process via Windows. It should not be necessary to create and use the special True Image recovery CD which, in the trial version, can only restore images not make a new one.

When making the image my first choice would be a complete disk image of the source USB drive rather than just files and folders.

There are probably other ways to do what you want but when I tried to do a simple copy from one USB drive to another of a 12GB file Windows fell at the first jump [​IMG].

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello osmith,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home supports the following file systems: FAT16/32, NTFS, Ext2/Ext3, ReiserFS, Linux SWAP. If the file system is not supported or is corrupted, you can use Acronis True Image Bootable CD to copy data using a sector-by-sector approach. Please note that as you mentioned the standalone version of Acronis True Image is Linux based, however, it has almost the same GUI (Graphical User Interface) as in Windows so you will find it easy to use.

Please note that you can use Clone Disk tool of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to copy/move the entire content of one drive to another. You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer. The limitations of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home trial version is that you can only restore an image when you run the program from the bootable media. It is fully functional in Windows. The trial version evaluation period is 15 days.

If you would like to order your software before the trial period ends, please visit the Acronis online store. If you have any pre-sales questions, you can contact Acronis Support Team using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link or post any of them on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.