wilderssecurity site as spyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by A884126, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

I added wilderssecurity (64.91.226.241) to my host file and when I made the weekly check up of my computer with Spybot Search & Destroy I end up on a strange result.

Does anyone know why?

Attached Files:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually that's a warning to let you know that there is an entry in your Hosts so that you can check it to make sure it isn't a hijack (redirected site). Spybot does not attempt to validate whether the IP address entries are correct or not. It just displays them letting you know an entry is in there. If you added the entry yourself then you know it's good. If one turned up unexpected, then you'd research it to see why it is there and if it is the correct IP address.

Of course, that is our correct IP address.

3. A884126

I understand, however I have a full of bad IPs redirected to 127.0.0.1 and others good as wilderssecurity directed to their IP.
    Then why SBS&D does not identifies all the IPs? I added wilderssecurity and others the same day day.
    As you can see the one below are recognized as "Common Hijacker" but wilderssecurity as "CoolWWWSearchSmartSearch".

Still pretty confusing for me...

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To some degree it has been a little confusing for many users for about a year when a variant of CoolWebSearch stopped users getting to well known antispyware sites. To attempt to combat that issue....Spybot added the check for these re-direct items in order to do their part in alerting a user that their Hosts file might contain entries they want to take a closer look at. While they have achieved the end result with that addition....we will always have those less-knowledgeable that either....

A)added the Hosts file and have no clue what it does and the Spybot results really mess their mind up
    B)added the Hosts file....understand the Hosts file and still question the Spybot results....which is still understandable.

related links:

last year
    Spybot S&D: False Positive On Some Hosts Entries?

recently
    False Positive On Some Hosts Entries?
    Common Hijacker (hosts File), Which are good - Which are bad?

Bottom line:
    If a user is aware they are using a Hosts file....and....the IP\URL entry is a valid Hosts file entry....the only thing a user can do at the moment is to highlight the valid Hosts re-direct entry in Spybot....right click that entry and select....Exclude this protection from further searches

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since this is not a forum related issue....but a Spybot\User issue....I have moved this thread from the General Topics Forum to a more appropriate Forum.

Regards,
    Bubba

6. A884126

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.