Wilders

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by John Bull, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@John Bull

I've had a few words in my ear from time to time :D But he has a way with words, and tries too be fair and quite tolerant. Don't mention the brown stuff :p

He's a bit more than a prefect, he's the Headmaster ;)

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Sorry, I mis-spoke. The correct term is amber. :D

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

it gets scary when he is the Headmistress ;)

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Cudni

Lucky you, i havn't had that pleasure, yet :D

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

In comedy, timing is everything. :D

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's been interesting around here, I'll agree to that.

7. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

More than interesting ! We are simply expressing our thanks for a Forum that is probably the best one can get on the net, comprised of an International membership.

In any random group of individuals there has got to be a rogue element, but with Wilders it is not too bad at all. Nothing is perfect, not even Heaven. AND with Wilders the referees are extremely tolerant and understanding.

We do not all go to Sunday School.

John B

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

But let's minimize the pithier film/television critique.

A handful of offtopic posts snipped....

Blue

9. John Bull

My profound apologies Blue for straying off topic, but I never started it by putting Nazi pictures on this thread, simply reacted accordingly and appropriately.

John B

10. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

No no in the US yellow light means slow down and prepare to stop. :D

Thanks.

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

No doubt the best example of what LWM has been talking about. The image posted and removed was the "goofy guard" from the hit TV comedy series "Hogan's Heros".

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Let's not go too far a field in the discussing of TV shows and all that. Suffice it to say, this is actually a good example of how easy it is to give or take offense when none was meant...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=72229

The part about being an International forum, where some jokes may not translate well across people of different backgrounds, applies well to this situation. An actor playing a character from a popular American comedy series, is not necessarily recognised by people from all around the world. My guess would be that the TV show never played in the UK, or if it did, was not popular enough for the actor to be easily recognised.

So, let's move on from that. But, I do have to say, we couldn't have better examples of the pitfalls we try to avoid, but usually fall into everyday here in normal forum threads. This thread has been an amazing learning or demonstration tool as to where and why things go wrong.

This is a good thing.

13. John Bull

LowWaterMark

As always, an expert comment of understanding and ultra-diplomacy. I am never disappointed by your wisdom and analysis of human frailties in getting things all out of proportion, or for that matter getting them back on track again. Same with Blue, yet another fine example of mediator and mentor.

I meant this thread to be a tribute to the wonderful facility we have called Wilders and the excellence of management and community present. In the main - IT HAS BEEN.

If it has also provided a text book case of how simple it is for an International membership to leave the rails, then again whilst being a negative side-shoot of the thread, is nevertheless educational.

Don`t let the thread die, compliments about our Forum are very welcome. If nobody else pats us on the back, then why not do it ourselves ? It shows appreciation, particularly of the people who spend a huge amount of their time running it.

John B

14. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Wilders is the best forum that I've encountered in over two decades online. I've learned a lot -- both from answers that I've received, and from the process of answering others. And OK, I rant from time to time ;) Thanks, y'all.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I am also one of those Wilders "fan-boys". I appreciate the amount of experience here, it is really quite impressive as well as diverse.

I appreciate the generally well mannered and open minded community, and I feel it really helps one to develop a better overall picture of the topic at hand if they so choose to examine all the viewpoints offered. This is perhaps my favorite part about this place.

I try to be considerate of others when I post personally. Being an imperfect person, I am sure I have offended some though.

I have been a member of many forums, on many topics/areas. This one has some of the best moderation I have seen. Active moderation is probably the key, but I have always appreciated how the mods here will attempt to inform you rather than just threaten you. It garners respect and in my mind promotes cooperation. Having had a few personal conversations with some of the mods, I can only say that I am treated the way I would try to treat others, and that is very encouraging.

There are some, and will always be, who are a bit more on the dry side, or rough perhaps. I can honestly say that I have learned some better "people skills" here, figuring out how to continue a conversation without things getting out of hand.

And finally, I love to introduce humor when I can. I have learned here, that if you introduce humor the right way, like in a parable about your topic, you can enjoy laughs while at the same time never really leaving the technically minded diatribe. Straight up jokes never seem to last long though....

Oh, and I cannot recall the last thread I have seen with so many mods posting as well. Sort of eerie... oooohhhh!!!!!

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.